Register now to get rid of these ads!

July Banger Meet 2009.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Corn coupe, Jul 1, 2009.

1. I put of of those screen thingy's in both my A's, never had a clog.

2. Elrod

Elrod

3. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

did the model As come with a screen in the tank fill hole? Mine had one and it was parked in 1957. Mine looks to be brass.

Bill

4. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Yes -- it was called a 'spark arrestor' and was a factory part. Supposedly you could hold a lit match over the gas tank filler neck and it wouldn't explode. Never tried it, myself.
    Fearless

5. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

very cool neat stuff

6. Stock flame arrester in the fill hole.-Weeks

7. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

COOL... I will let you do it first:eek:
    thanks Bill

8. Danget I check an email as I post and get beat to the punch lol. It is a factory item. They rolled off the assembly line with them.-Weeks

9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Its ok we will let you play with the match....
    later Bill :D

10. Yeah I may be young but not that young lol. I used to live in the desert and have had enough of fire+gasoline=bonfire at Glamis. Or vw mag engine block+little flame=light up comp hill at night.-Weeks

11. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I have the tank filler screen but that doesn't help with the crap that's already in there :D

[​IMG]
    http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/2116

I've never tested Ol'Henry's fire-proofing, I'll leave that up to you guys :eek:

Last night I drove it and it was fine again. But I'm not gonna trust it. I'll give Snyder's a ring today. Thanks for the help guys!

12. Piewagn

Piewagn

Awsome Bill!! I had mine up to 55 on the GPS with plenty more to go. I didn't want to push it with the noise my tappets are making. I already have the remedy for that!!

13. Use a small dental mirror and see if the top inside of the tank is rusted. As you drive the vibrations will loosen more rust. Permanent fix is to have a radiator shop clean the inside. Most use acid and you must fill tank as soon as possible as surface rust will appear almost immediately. I filled mine with gas and added 1 quart of Marvel top oil as it seems to penetrate the surface and help control the rust. I let it sit for week and it will smoke until the oil is gone. Years ago the radiator shops would pour a small bottle of this same oil in and slosh it around. Other oils might work as well but I used it because that is what the shops used. Some people have successfully done this themselves. I prefer to let the experts do it. If you have it done you must fill it immediately. If you don't it will rust! Ask me how i know.

14. Elrod

Elrod

I have two Model A gas tanks that appear to be galvanized inside. One is on my cabriolet, and it's a shiny mirror inside. I was surprised it was so clean. Even after the car sat in a barn for 45 years without being driven.

Then at a swap meet I found another one and it appears to be galvanized inside as well. I've never seen a literature that said ford used that process. I wonder if this was a restoration method in the 60s because that is when both of these tanks would have been last messed with.

15. If I remember correctly Ford used a Tin plating process to coat or plate the inside of the tank. "Brent in Tennessee" takes the tanks apart to restore the inside. He shows this on his website

16. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...