Register now to get rid of these ads!

July Banger Meet 2009.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Corn coupe, Jul 1, 2009.

1. A-zonie

A-zonie
    from Mesa, AZ

38dodgebiz,
    One of the local Model A clubs in your area is the Model A Restorers Club of Arizona. Last I knew we had ~150 families in the club. Most of the cars are near stock but we have a few speedsters, Miller and Riley powered, and lot's of A's that are 'slightly modified', i.e. 16 inch wheels with radials, overdrive trannys, Weber downdraft carbs, electronic dist., etc.. See the club website at www.marca.com. Suggest you also stop by Arizona Model A on Gilbert Rd. in Chandler and talk to the owner. He can also help with setting up the mechanicals so they stop as that A as well as juice brakes.
    Good luck with the coupe.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've got a reground A Camshaft that came with a project years ago, is there a way of telling if is stock grind or something special?

3. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

hey 5wbomber....
    "well ive turned into one of you "banger wierdo's" now. heres my new little pickup. i drove it all day and its soo damn fun, its got a zephyr 2-2 intake and a super winfield head. it has a lotta tourque! i got an overdrive i might be putting in it, and lowering it with 16's but i kinda dig it how it is "
    I love the truck just the it is. It's funny how much fun you can have driving so slow. Being a "banger wierdo" isn't so bad. Have lots of fun bangen a round
    later Bill

4. jetmek

jetmek

stock grind will have a "pointed" toe on the lobe, not blunt. measure 90* to the toe and from the toe to the heel. the differnce should be close to .300

5. brawler500

brawler500
    from Roxbury NJ

I would never have imagined that I would be having so much fun with basically a Model A Chassis and a cowl that I threw together last summer. Put a 2 person seat on it and constantly have my kids and the neighborhood kids asking for a ride.

Took it to Motor Speedway at Englishtown Raceway and again had a blast on the 1/8th mile...much more fun than I have had driving 10 second cars.

I recently installed a Yapp dual updraft intake with B carbs. It was relatively easy to get them dialed in and the "seat of the pants" meter feels an improvement.

Here are some new pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Gaters

Gaters

7. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Hey guys thanks for the responses on my '29. I haven't been online much the last few days visiting friends in Sierra Vista.

I had actually stopped by AZ Model A before I picked up this car and got the tour - great guys over there. I will check out the local club too.

I agree there won't be any high speed driving going on so if I can get the brakes right I would be happy with the mechanicals.

I appreciate the names on the old intakes - this will help me in my search.

Happy 4th all - Tom

8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

SWEET.... the tech guy must love you:eek:
    what is in that jar????

9. 32 brakes on "A".
    I have a 32 front axle on my RPU and a buddy gave me the brakes he taken off of a 33 pick up he was hotrodding so I decided to put 32 34 brakes on my RPU. I have a Kiwl quick change and have inverted the radius rods per instructions. On the 32 and later rear ends the radius rods attach to the axle housings. If you are considering this conversion i would recommend using the 32 axle housings as using the "A" axle housings will require cutting clearance for the radius rods in the backing plates. I also made 1" long extenders for the rear brake operating cams as they now have to clear radius rods. I had to relieve the opening in the radius rods to clear the operating cam extensions. On the front it appeared to be a straight forward job to attach the 32 brakes as I had the 33 spindles. I had a problem with the front brakes not releasing . The is is with "Ted's Floaters". My problem was using the "A" brake operating shaft housing which seemed to fit but would bind. I adjusted and adjusted but they just wouldn't release. Then I remembered an article describing the difference between the king pins on various years so I put a wanted add on the HAMB and received several offers of parts and bought a pair of 32 operating shaft housings and that solved the problem. I had to relocate the levers 180 degrees and repin. I had to shorten the brake rods front and rear. We haven't tried the brakes on the pavement yet as the car has been on nonop since 63 but it does have a good hard pedal and will slide on the dirt roads. I am going to rig up a chain or cable for the parking brakes as the 32 34 does not have a separate parking brake like the "A" So now I will get rid of the 48 brakes that I have been saving.

10. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

it is fun drivin slow. it takes of like a bat outta hell till about 50 hahah but i just went through town by all the model A members in it and they hate my ass!!!! so now im takin the sedan through town so they really hate me! i love all the bangers on here. i had to join.

11. kevins29truck

kevins29truck
    from ohio

I love these bangers, just curious though. what kind of rpm are you guys able to turn with some of these setups.

12. andyg

andyg

Wanted....tach drive for my banger so I can answer this man's question. They came in boats mostly but also some farm machinery. It fits between the tach and the head and was used in the 30's. I am looking for one so let me know what you have and price.

13. brawler500

brawler500
    from Roxbury NJ

BCCCHOPIT

The jar of red oil is a top end oiler filled with Marvel Mystery oil. It is plumbed into the intake to "mist" oil into the top end. I don't know if it does any good...neat looking and good conversation piece.

David

14. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Like a 2 stroke COOL I would put some 2 stroke oil in it so it would smell nice:D:D
    thanks Bill

15. jetmek

jetmek

hey it was nice meeting you there! im the guy with the black RPU you ran. the grin on your little guys face says it all!

16. If you relocated the levers 180 wouldn't they operate backwards or did you move the shafts side to side also?

17. shock

shock

I made some air intakes from dollar store soup ladels and potato mashers..........I guess they will keep out the birds and small childeren.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. I could think of a lot of sarcastic answers to your question regarding the shafts operating backwards but all I will say is yes.
    One other thing is that the 32 levers have to be tweaked slightly to correct slight misalignment of 32 front housings as he "A"'s front brake rods are at a slightly different angle.

19. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Great stuff guys. Love the pick up and speedster! Having my radiator re-cored on the touring so I missed out on driving it this week end.

20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I love this. I've been thinking of doing the same with a chassis that I got from Jordan earlier this year.

Are you running juice brakes?

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I think the proper way to adjust the clearance on stock type lifter set-ups are to grind the face of the stem if the clearance is too tight and grind the head of valve if the clearance is too much. .023" is too much. .015" is standard I like to set them @ .012" - .013". Adjustable lifters are the way to go. Make sure the lifters you get are the single lock type that have at least a 1.125" dia. base that rides on the cam. Some of the adjustable lifters out there are as small as 1". The ones that EGGE machine sells are good. If you use the small base lifters, you are losing valuable duration. If you are going to swap cams, you can't beat a Brierley cam!!!!!

It is easier to do a cam swap with the engine out. But you can do it in the car as described above. It is much easier to do it in a car that has no fenders :D

How did the drive go?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

What head are you running? F head or crossflow? What is your rocker ratio? Here in the states Taylor engine is a good place to get all of your banger parts. Jim Brierley has any cam you may need for your set up. Give him a call or email him your questions.
    [email protected]

23. RussTee

RussTee

thanks Crazydaddyo I will try Taylor engine then try Jim didnt think of his advise

24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I'll post this if anyone is interested:

[​IMG]

25. Good progress last night - got the T mocked up!

Attached Files:

26. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Oh boy this is sooo coool! FanBloodyTastic.

27. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Looks good

28. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Riverside model T club swapmeet
    Hey can you get in as a vender earlier than 11 am no phone number listed to call
    pre buy a vender space??thanks
    Ken

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Ken,
    Sorry the numbers got cut off when it was scaned. Here the contact info.

Cecilia Stevenson 951-681-5193
    Greg Hill 951 681-5346.

30. brawler500

brawler500
    from Roxbury NJ

Yes

Lincolns on the front and early ford on the rear. Much more brakes than it needs

David