Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** July 2015 Banger Meet - Heating Up ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 2, 2015.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

model a's use a 600 wt. . I personally use "lucas 80-140 + power punch" . no troubles in many years ........ steve

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Back around 1960 a friend of mine had an aftermarket Aluminum "F" head for a Fordson. It had at one time been in a midget I believe. He also had a Crager and one Ardun V8-60 head. I went in the Army and do not know what happened to all that stuff.

3. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Thanks Rich. First ive ever heard of a special head for the Fordson. It just seems to me like someone would have tried something with one over the years. Back when they were fairly new the Curtiss ox5 airplane had aluminim pistons 4 inch like the fordson and were probably available surplus after ww I. I would think with some imagination somebody would have tried to go racing with that block full of curtiss pistons and who knows what other parts. Im thinking about trying it myself.

4. Took the Tourer back to Pendine for the 4th of July - 75.17 didn't beat my record of 77.69. But then neither did anyone else so it was still fastest in class and beat 15 or so V8 as well....

Photo from Neal Reed ta very much!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    Entlebucher and Dannerr like this.
  5. In the process of pulling my motor apart and found this crack in the crank. Just forward of the gear and looks like it has been there for many years/miles. Is it repairable or am I looking for a replacement?
    [​IMG]

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Looks like the end of the road for that crank, to me. Maybe you could use it to make a stand for a grinder or something. Mailbox maybe.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  7. Actually it isn`t. On closer look and with some help off the Ford Barn, turns out it is the pulley that is cracked.
    Need to get a 1 3/8" socket so I can get it off.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well that is better than a cracked crank.

9. That goes without saying Rick. Also saves me a bucket load of $$$`s finding a counter balanced crank to replace it.

10. edfueler

edfueler

Some shots of our bangers at Webby's mud run 4th July, Gresford, NSW, Australia. 3 Ford's and a 28 Chevrolet out there in the track. Fun fun.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Entlebucher, Binger, Dannerr and 2 others like this.
  11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

where did you go ?! hope your ok this nice sat. - sun.

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

sometimes "subscription" isn't and I get no notification

Now I am off to watch NHK(Japanese TV) since none of the the US Networks will let me watch

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

jimski , how much japanese do you & "Z" understand . I watched a john wayne movie in Chinese , did not understand any of it ........... but it was cool

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

It's in English

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

well that sure helps

17. steve hackel

steve hackel

Does anyone out there have access to a drawing of all the hole locations and measurements of a B' valve cover? Rather than buy a poorly sand cast-finned version of one, I want to machine mine from a solid piece of aluminum and make it unique to my own engine. Thanks in advance, Steve

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

you don't have an old one ? cant borrow one ? much better than measurements via email .

19. Can't you get it off a valve cover gasket? That would be the accurate way to do it

20. 1932tub

1932tub

Did that on my B, clamped the original cover to the aluminium and match drilled it. Once you have a couple of holes drilled bolt through it to stop any movement. Worked fine.

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Move this over here....
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436902449.779140.jpg

waxhead likes this.
  22. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I've been working on getting my 26 touring together this week. It's on a model a chassis. I'm using a carter electric fuel pump and have been trying to figure out the best way to wire it into the car. Will have a oval or round fuel tank in the back seat area. Chassis has complete model a harness in it also. Can anyone recommend a good place to pull power from that won't disrupt anything.
    Thanks

23. gotit

gotit

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436939228.199095.jpg my little banger

Jersey Joe 67, ROCKER77 and waxhead like this.
  24. I fitted an oval model T tank under the front seat on my Tourer. Fits a treat. Couldn't use the original because there's extra bracing been added in the cowl - and I didn't have one…
    I'd pull the pump feed from the coil supply.

25. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

I'd run its own wire with a kill switch under the dash in case the float sticks and you pump fuel all over the place. You should post the pics you sent me.

26. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Here are some pictures

27. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

That didn't work

28. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Attached Files:

29. That's what mine looked like a few years ago...

30. steve hackel

steve hackel

For anyone interested in a T5 trans set up.... I have a complete T5 narrow pattern (Ford) with the G.M. 4x4 tail shaft housing that allows someone to use the torque tube adapter to run their original rear end. With this tail shaft, the shifter is as far forward as is physically possible to be.
    I had 2 of these built by Eric @ Anaheim Gear in California; these were new-all new, this one has never been bolted to an engine, never had oil in it, and is wrapped back up in the shipping container supplied by Anaheim Gear. My friend Dave was going to build the same kind of car as I was, so the original order for 2 of these made sense at the time. I also have one of Dan Bridges' torque tube adapters (Crazydaddyo) that allows you to use the stock rear end & torque tube, and a completed short throw shifter assembly for this trans.
    The trans was $1,600 + $90 to ship, the torque tube adapter was $650 + $25 to ship, and the shifter was $50 + $25 for the aluminum spacer and the machine work to modify it. Dave has $2440 invested in this set up, and is looking to sell this as a package - $2000 and he will pay the shipping if its in the lower 48 states - shipping would be between 100 & 150, depending on where you might live. Anyone interested in this can contact me @ 708-687-4183, Thanks Steve Hackel
    * Oh ya, I know this could go in the for sale section, but anyone that would be interested in this would also be reading this post *