Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Juice brakes riding high??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pete Poling, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

While installing my 46-48 juice brakes on my model a I noticed that the shoes are riding high when hitting the wheel cylinders. I noticed it first in the rear and I thought it was because I flipped the backing plates the the wheel cylinders are in the bottom but it’s doing the same thing up front. The shoes were arched to the drum so that’s not it. When the drum is installed the drum only hits the top of the shoes. There’s not a lot of variables here... the shoes are located at the bottom so I would think the height would be right at the top??? It haunts me that I saw a thread where the guys shoes kept popping out of the wheel cylinders and I don’t know if he ever got it figured out...... any help would be great! Thanks

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Silly question but are the pivot bushings in the bottom of the shoes?

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Yes, they are there and are in good shape. I’m wondering if it’s a mix of all these Chinese aftermarket parts (shoes and wheel cylinders) the factory wheel cylinders had a narrower grove cut in them so the shoe fit better and these are a wide landing for the shoe.... not that that has anything to do with the shoes being higher than they should be....

4. That's kinda weird, will the drum go on?

5. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Yea, with the shoes adjusted all the way in it hits the top of the shoes only even though the shoes were arched to the drums.

6. If you still have the old shoes you could compare the steel. You don't have the wheel cylinders on the wrong side? Bleeder is at the top?

7. Stupid question on the wheel cylinder, i just looked at some old pictures lol

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is the floater stuck or bottomed out (lower pivot mount)? Correct shoe for application?

9. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

[​IMG]

These are the shoes..... nothing is binding, I just lubed the cams and installed them then the cover plate with the cotter pins, everything seems correct. There isn’t much to these brakes lol

10. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

11. I've seen some pictures of bad repop shoes with the lower anchor pivot located wrong; now these were '39-'41 style and located the shoes too low. Maybe the China man is involved with the later shoes now.
    I would guess you made sure the bushings were free to slide in the shoes before and after installing the plates and cotter pins.
    I would definitely compare the new repop shoes with the old ones.

Attached Files:

Pete Poling likes this.
  12. I purchased the same bonded shoes from the same seller off fleebay I believe..

They was delaminating within a week after receiving. Made a phone call and they sent me a set of riveted shoes MUCH better quality. I will mock up the repops and see how they ride compared to the original relined riveted shoes..

13. alchemy

alchemy

Like RICH B, I have found some of the new '40 shoes had the bottom bore in the wrong spot. If your '48 shoes were made by the same manufacturer, it's probably the same problem. Your screenshot the of the online ad doesn't tell us who you bought them from. Mine came from Dennis Carpenter, and I notified them of the problem. They said they'd pass the info along. :rolleyes:

14. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

I sent him a message..... we will see where it goes.

15. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Pete:
    Where did you get the shoes arched to the drums? I see you live close to
    Fort Wayne, which mill do work at ? I live about 5 minutes from the mills.
    Rich

16. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

It was at the machine shop that turned my drums, S-TECH in Lima Ohio. He doesn’t have a machine we just used a belt sander-sandpaper glued to the drum trick.

17. BJR

BJR

Are the bottom eccentrics turned correctly to center the shoe in the drum?

18. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

I don’t think there are adjustments on the anchor bolts on the 46-48 style,

19. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

mdimages likes this.
  20. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

I got the ok to send them back for a refund even though I have ground them down all over the place so they fit the Model A. Who sells quality brake shoes? I really dont wanna go through this again.

21. rusty valley

rusty valley

do you have any original shoes to have relined?

22. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

I do, is that a service that’s still provided? I figured that the new bonded style would be better than the riveted type. From what I’m reading, the riveted style definitely need to be arched and the newer bonded style are a lot closer out of the box.

23. If you can't find anyone closer; Brake & Equip in Mpls can reline your shoes. Little Dearborn may have them in stock on an exchange basis.

24. rusty valley

rusty valley

brake and equipment mentioned above will clean, paint, and bond the new linings on. i doubt any place rivets them any more. could maybe even arch them too if you have a way to accurately measure the drums. https://brakeandequipment.com/