Register now to get rid of these ads!

Juice Brakes, Line Size?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Airborne34, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

All, What size brake line do you recommend for a 34 5W, stock frame and 1940 Ford Juice brakes. I'm using the Early V8 Ford Garage Kit, stock pedals and 1940 Ford master cylinder.

3/16 too small? Or should I use 1/4 Thanks

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

doesnt matter
    you can use either size or both on one car

3. 3/16" is perfect.
    The laws of Hydraulics tell us that it shouldn't make any difference as pressure remains constant. Reality tells us that there is always some air and water in the fluid which does make a difference. The best thing about 3/16" is the strength of the line for burst pressure is higher than 1/4", it's easier to bend and work with without kinking and easier to route in tight spaces. many cars used to us 1/4" for drums and 3/16" for disc's but with modern fluids 3/16" really works well for all.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  4. chaddilac

chaddilac

HotRodPro told me to use 1/4", because you need the volume, but I am using a wilwood m/c.

Toast had the same setup as me and had to change to a dual m/c because he it didn't have enough volume to work the brakes properly.

5. Mart

Mart

Use 1/4".
    It's the stock size for 40 brakes. All the holes in the cylinders are drilled the right size to take 1/4" pipe and fittings. Just use all new pipes and fittings the same as henry used. Buy 39-40 parts.
    Mart.

FlatJan likes this.
  6. big bad john

big bad john

......I'd use 3/16 just for the strenght...even you're using 1940 cyclinder...

7. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

If you use all the stock Ford parts every thing will hook right up with 1/4" line with no special adapter fittings. You may have to check the length of the stock front brake flex line from the frame rail to the wheel cylinder. In some applications the 39-48 stock flex line is a little short for the mounting position and requires a longer flex line to prevent the flex line from pinching closed when the wheels are turned to full lock. This is available at your local real auto parts store that sell Wagner parts.

8. The only difference is that you can buy fittings over the counter if you use 1/4 like the original. I have never heard of a strength problem with the 1/4 lines in an early Ford system. Double check with Richard at the Early V8 Ford Garage if you are not convinced.

Charlie Stephens