Register now to get rid of these ads!

judge rules CBGB's cannot be evicted...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tred, Aug 12, 2005.

1. tred

tred

2. DILLIGAF

3. 64Rumbler

64Rumbler
    from Drexel, MO

Never been there myself... But if Joey Ramone stood there, it should be a fucking National Landmark!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Who in their right mind would want to be a landlord with judges like that overseeing things?:eek:

5. farna

farna

I need to move to New York -- I can pay the same rent for four years even if the landlord raises rent! All I have to do is not look at the bills. I don't care WHAT the establishment is, the land lord has a right to expect payment!

6. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I went there when I was in 7th grade with a friends older brother to see Choking Victim. Probably the last place a parent would want their 13 year old. But what they didn't know didn't hurt them. It was pretty Rad, but it's golden age has passed, I think it may have missed a good chance to bow out gracefully, before any more emo kids buy CBGB t shirts from hot topic.

[​IMG]

7. hatch

hatch
    from house

I was in NY for about three hours once....about two hours and fifty five minutes too long for me....whatta shithole.

8. tred

tred

that's what makes new york RAWK!!!:D

<sigh> i miss living there...

tred.

9. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

That venue has tons of cool history over the years for the Punk scene:) I played a show there in 1984 and 1985 with my old "skaterock" band the FACTION... man, those were fun times traveling across the U.S. from the westcoast cramped in a small 70's Dodge van with our band equipment, 5 members and our skateboards... those were the days and that's when it wasn't safe to be or look punk, people (especially jocks) wanted to kick your ass!
    CAB

10. junkmonger

junkmonger

I lived there for 5 years and don't miss a thing, except maybe Dave the Spaz and Fool's Paradise on WFMU. Now I get WFMU on the internet, and don't have to put up with alternate parking, dogshit, bums, broken glass, and your garden variety posers. I wouldn't do it again if you paid me by the hour.:p

11. 50coupe

50coupe
    from Pittsburgh

Glad to hear it!!! Oh yeah...modifieddriver...you throw out the dilligaf, but its funny, not only did you take the time to read this, but you took the time to respond. It kinda does look like you give a f**k. Ha, ha, ha!!!!

12. tred

tred

parking???

you owned a car in the city?
    wow, i was too poor...

13. lgh1157

lgh1157

You were poor ? - your picture makes you look like a nice rich guy :D

NYC rules - 5 years i lived and it changed my life, I hope Cb's stays.

L

14. Joe Riot

Joe Riot
    from N Y of C

What can I say, the BEST PLACE in the WORLD! Proud to be a NEW YAWKER! and yes, CB's is one of the last surviving landmarks in the LES! Oi!

15. It's a fun place. It is what a rock club should be.

16. I have to admit, I did read the attachment because I had no idea what the hell CBGB was :confused:. I thought it might be another old race track closing up :( .

Now that I know, after this post, I won't waste anymore of my precious lifetime breathing air on the face of this earth investigating or reading anything about CBGB :) ;).

17. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

WHAT THE HELL DOSE "OMFUG" stand for?

18. Joe Riot

Joe Riot
    from N Y of C

Country BlueGrass Blues and Other Music From the UnderGround

19. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

thanks, I just never knew..

20. Joe Riot

Joe Riot
    from N Y of C

no prob. hard to think the place started out as a country/folk joint in the early 70's and you rarely see that type of music there anymore. they actually had to build a separate venue next door called the cbgb's gallery to house the folk/acoustic/roots stuff.

21. Joe Riot

Joe Riot
    from N Y of C

i guess i was wrong on the OMFUG part, i always thought it stood for what i wrote above but apparently this is from Hilly himself, the owner and founder of CBGB's. OMFUG stands for OTHER MUSIC FOR UPLIFTING
    GORMANDIZERS

22. I thought it was "other music from the underground " as well... what the hell is a gormandizer?

Wait, I looked it up:

gor·mand·ize [​IMG] ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (gôr[​IMG]m[​IMG]n-d[​IMG]z[​IMG])
    v. gor·mand·ized, gor·mand·iz·ing, gor·mand·iz·es
    v. intr. To eat gluttonously; gorge.
    v. tr. To devour (food) gluttonously.
    That don't make much sense. Maybe Hily changed it after he got fat or something.

He should change the name to "NBCB's and IWPAREE" (Never Been Cleaned Before and I Won't Pay A Roach Exterminator, Either). I played there a couple times and that place is a dump! A wonderful historic dump, but a dump nonetheless.

Okay, I gotta go gormandize.

Later.

23. krooser

krooser

Muzzy Rosenblatt...I think I'd rather be named Sue....