Register now to get rid of these ads!

Joyce Johnson was in an Accident in her RPU "CherryBomb" on Saturday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bookz

Bookz

I was wondering the same Mark. If this had been the other way around and a car went out of control and hit a rod everyone would be screaming for blood.
    Secondly why was it being driven at or near highway speed with a obvious fault in the steering if in fact this was the case. For christs sake 6 to 8 inchs free play indicates a major fault. Hindsight be buggared......driving it in that condition borders on criminally negligent. And before everyone leaps all over me how would you feel if you were cruising down the freeway and suddenly the car next to you went out of control and sideswiped you and then you found out that the driver knew the steering didn't feel right but carried on driving.
    And if in fact Pist-n-Broke is right that the shop wouldn't have allowed the truck out if it hadn't been right and there wasn't a fault putting the word out there was and implying that somehow the shop was somehow to blame really sucks. In fact they could probably sue for damage to reputation.
    Glad everyone is OK (I certainly hope the innocent party in the other car is seeing Denise didn't bother mentioning them) but it certainly seems this lady was the author of her own destiny.:eek:

2. OK to start Joyce and Roger are doing OK as of noon today........and I just hung up talking to her,she called to tell me about what happened and not to worry,since we have been friends for over 30 years.That being said some of you should keep your thoughts to yourself unless you know the facts! 1 joyce had a bad BUMPSTEER when she hit a hole on the freeway at 55 mph,2 the car does have seat belts(not like it is anybodys biz). 3 the car that was also involved was driven by a guy with a suspended license and no insurance,4 the car was in great shape and had just come from the shop after major work was done,and most all components had been replaced or inspected so the car seemed OK.5 Joyce was not sited at the scene as reported this was a plain and simple accident and those asshole that want to run her under the bus are just that ASSHOLES.....so lets worry about Joyce and Roger getting better and if ya dont know the facts dont second guess the shop or driver involved........this coulda been you!:mad::mad::cool:

Attached Files:

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks for the update, much appreciated.
    Can I assume that Roger was relased from the hospital yesterday as planned then?

4. LDGn63

LDGn63

God Bless all involved.

5. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Glad to here Joyce and Roger are Ok. Very sad to hear about that pickup. Have seen it around town for many years and always with Joyce at the wheel.
    Get well from Cody and Steve at Hurst Racing Tires

6. repoguy

repoguy

Wow, glad they're ok.

Nice RPU, I hope it's salvagable.

7. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for saying it Meatball!!

It really fuckin pains me when assholes (Bookz) feel like they should chime in and comment on what is right and wrong with a situation. Especially when someone was injured. Nobody fuckin asked you what is right and wrong and nobody wants to hear your BS. Who the fuck are you to tell everyone what is right and wrong? None of these cars were meant to drive at 2008 highway speeds. There's a ton of shit that ain't right with them and they're not 100% safe. So fuckin what. My car leaks oil. If I drip in the street and someone slips on it you'd be the asshole to try to sue wouldn't you. You're whats wrong with people these days. Next time be a human being, wish the injured well and keep your comments for a speeding ticket thread.

Sorry for the rant on this, but that pissed me off.

Hope Joyce and Roger recover quick and get back to hotrodding! We're thinking about you in Texas.

Nick

8. JamesG

JamesG

Great to hear that they are all right. That could have been a nasty deal in that car.

9. 53chevy

53chevy

Prayers for getting back on the road. Great article too was written in Rolls and Pleats (I think). A very inspirational person to say the least. All the Best!!

Ken

10. 60volksrod

60volksrod

Best wishes to Joyce and Roger.

We also have an RPU and the "bump" in the road she hit is no small "bump". That bump causes our new cars to go everywhere. Hitting it with any old car with any amout of bump steer will almost definately cause this if you are not prepared for it. So here is a warning for anyone with an old car, if you are traveling North on I-5 in Vancouver by 39th Street and start coming down the hill, stay out of the middle lane!

11. Bookz

Bookz

Wind your head back down to your ass.
    My points were
    1: The irony of everyone expressing sympathy for the person who caused the accident and not even mentioning the victim when we often have people expressing the desire to draw blood if their car gets damaged by someone elses actions.
    2: If you had just had work done on the steering of a car and picked it up to find heaps of slack in the steering driving it anywhere except straight back into the shop is irresponsible and borders on criminally negligent. It seems you are cool about people taking stupid risks.
    3: If as someone else suggested nothing was wrong with the steering and the driver actually just lost control using the steering as a excuse and by implication blaming the shop that did the work that sucks. From the shops point of view shit like that floating around can really impact on their reputation and business. People have been real quick to name the shop involved on here. I presume you think that is OK.
    The real kicker with your post is the bit about "none of these cars where built to drive at 2008 highway speeds"and "Theres a ton of shit that ain't right with them and they're not 100% safe." Speak for yourself. Your cars may be unsafe pieces of shit (this is what you imply) but I'm sure the vast majority on here take real pride in the build quality of their cars and would never drive a unsafe or dangerous car on the road. If a car can't cruise at highway speed safely it shouldn't be on the road.
    Someone made the point that the bump in the road is a real bad one. How many thousands of cars drive that stretch of road every day without hitting the car in the next lane.
    And Meatballs point that the other party had no insurance and was a suspended driver is a smokescreen. They didn't cause the accident.
    Just because someone is a hot rodder and has friends on here doesn't make it right if they fuck up.
    Now if your cars are as unsafe as you make them sound get off here and go and do some serious work to them to get them up to standard:mad:

12. MOCO559

MOCO559

WHAT!! I just spoke with Joyce about two weeks ago. I'm glad she's ok. Denise, if you talk to Joyce please tell her that Hector from Coker Tire wishes her a speedy recovery and my prayers are with them.

13. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Early On I posted that "This going to be interesting" .
    I don't have much legal training but I do have expertise in court proceedings and this is where this going to end up .
    Denise has already dropped the lady in question right in the shit because at least 3550 people as of this moment will have read that the steering had excess play.
    That is both hers and the shops responsibility.
    Right off she has admitted her was car faulty from her hospital bed to Denise .
    result ? NO insurance .
    What on earth is going on here when the actual victim of Joyces accident ,the other driver is being demonised because he was unlicenced.
    Joyce is a victim of her own circumstance .
    SHE IS NOT the victim of the other driver.
    She was foolish enough to continue driving a high performance vehicle with out seat belts.
    Knombodies business? are you completely stupid?
    How many people have died and continue to do so every year as result on NOT wearing belts?
    Bookz is right on the money and as I said this is going to be very interesting .
    Denise and Joyce better start saving for good lawyers because I see a cash cow comming .

14. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

how many people do hit it and trash there cars? your being a little insensitive here. the only thing thats on my mind when i hear this is the recovery of her and roger, and their families. they will be in my prayers and so will you.

15. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Nothing insensitive when someone overhuals your steering badly causing a fault and it results in someone else being blamed ( the driver of the small car) and another being hospitalised. .
    Read my previous post.My sympathies lay with 'Roger' and the damage that this accident does to our hobby's reputation .
    No prayers are needed when you take responsibilty for your own actions.

16. Has anybody besides Me ever bought a Brand New part that was Defective and Flat came apart right after installing it? Can we just leave it at that until the Dust settels? Joyce will give us first hand info once she has the Facts. No she did not get on the Freeway knowing it steered like Shit. She noticed it was different and had Roger check it out. He found nothing loose, broke, or coming apart. It suddenly got worse and then got away from her. Shit like this happens, thats why they call them accidents. If you people knew Joyce like I do you would know she would never indanger anyone around her, her passenger, Her self or Cherry Bomb. This is just a verry unfortunate insident.
    The Wizzard

17. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

Guess I need to clarify. Ain't right = bias plys vs radials, solid front axle vs IFS, no bumpers vs bumpers, no airbags vs airbags, no body bracing vs space cages, friction shocks vs computer controlled hydraulic shocks, if you think you're hot rod is totally safe for today's highways, you're kidding yourself. If you hit a pot hole the size of road island in a solid axle car, it's gonna feel different than one with IFS. What we do is risky no matter what you engineer into it. It sad when anyone gets injured doing what we love.

Nick

18. Custom54

Custom54

I hope they are ok, I really like that truck.

[​IMG]

19. Blackie

Blackie

WOW, Lots of guys on their "High Horse" on this one. You guys need to seriously quit running your mouth and hold your opinions to yourself until you know what the real story is. I re-read Denise's post to see if I missed something, but I read it correctly the first time - there is nothing that Denise wrote that implies that Joyce did anything wrong. This truck has been around for a long time - meaning it ain't some death trap that was built by a first timer. That little hot rod is a very special part of Portland hot rodding, as are Joyce and Roger, and they deserve some respect here.

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Sounds good to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.