Register now to get rid of these ads!

Joined the "Dead Dad's Club". It SUCKS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Splinter, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Splinter

Splinter

Pop passed away on the 16th of March. "Dead Dad's Club" is the CRAPPIEST Club I've ever had to join. The dues are astronomical, and there are NO benefits to being a member. So, those of you that are members- who do you talk to about the really important stuff? Where do you go for advice? I could ALWAYS count on Pop for wise counsel. I'm 42 years old and feel like a kid lost at the fair.......
    I know this has NOTHING to do with Hot Rods, but figured some of you guys could lend some sound advice. Maybe if I posted some of those pics of Pop when he was 16 in the engine compt of his 40 Ford it would tie in nicely with the board. I'll get to work on that.
    Thanks-

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Splinter, who gives a fuck if this is on or off topic? Not I. I wish I could help you, so very, very sorry to hear this.
    My Dad may 'only' be my step dad but I will be looking for help to when he goes, no one in my life has done more for me and I look up to no one else as much.

Doc.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in that club too. Sucks. I'm sorry, man.

4. fbama73

fbama73

It is a shitty club to be in, and after 6 years, it doesn't get any better.

I still talk to him like he were still standing in front of me. I've found that I think enough like him that if I have something on my mind that I would ask him, an answer comes to me- and that answer is usually what he would say.

5. NAES

NAES

I'm definitely in the club. I was a member early on with my dad getting chronically sick as a kid but pops didn't officially check out till I was much older. In a way I got tough quick and had to take my lumps in life through experience rather than advice. It's been a slippery slope but the lessons I learned in life with him being there but not made me who I am.

I guess what I'm saying is that you realize all the ways you are so much like your father well after he is gone and how much he influenced you.

Sucks but you'll get through it. NAES

6. 50styleline

50styleline

First, prayers are sent. I lost my Dad back in 1995. He was only 57. I am one of eight kids he had and have no idea how he and Mom managed. He was there for EVERYTHING. Now that I am raising my own family I think of him often. In every situation I face, big or small, I consider "How would Dad deal with this?". His legacy has many positive resources that I am able to tap into on a regular basis. It's gonna be hard to deal with your Dad being gone but time truly does heal. Honor his memory by sharing his legacy with as many people as you can.

7. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Chin up Splinter I know how ya feel been there A LOOOOOOOOONG time now wish I had my dad back for just a day. To grab a beer with and some hotdogs at a Red Sox or Bruins game. You have my paryers and condolences to you and your family.

8. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i hate my old man and still wish he'd live forever

9. Splinter

Splinter

Going through Pop's stuff I found an envelope with a blue ribbon in it for the Santa Monica Concours in 1963- for his 1926 Ford Depot Hack. He also had a 1958 or 59 Chev with a 348 and tri-power. He gave me my first car, a '56 Jag 140 "Special Equipment" Roadster, and to his dying day kept the '27 Packard 8-Passenger Sedan that I plan on restoring now. Our Dads are our first heroes as little boys. I think those memories stay with us forever.

10. skull

skull

it's been 9 years since l had my dad to talk to, cancer took him:(

it gets better, but you will always miss him.

if you have any of his cars, fix'em or drive'em and enjoy the memories.

try and turn the negative into a positive.

my way of doing that: l am building a cancer crusader in his memory, he raced a1937 chevy on dirt for years. l am putting a 194Oish dirt track street legal car together to go out raise money for cancer patients and fund research.

it helps me heal and helps others:)

you are in my thoughts, take care,

Later :cool:

11. davo461

davo461

Sorry for your serious loss !
    Having been a member for 62 years, I can tell you "That hole ain't ever gonna heal up".
    It just gradually gets smaller.
    Just make sure that you hang about for a long time.

12. 53Hattie

53Hattie

I feel for you pal, my folks have been gone for only 3-4yrs, Dad was 90 and Mom was 88; and I can tell you for sure that even at 62 I still felt like an orphan! I still have occasions when something will come up and I'll think, "well, I'll have to run that past the folks" before I pause & remember that they're gone. It'll get easier, but they'll always be with you, and there will be those moments! Only natural, when you consider that aside from you yourself, ...who ever ever knew you better!

13. Been a member almost 8 years....worst club I ever joined....It gets a little easier with time...remember the good times....

14. fonti

fonti

Well...I'm in this club since 8 years now...he was 69.

It gets better, believe me. But there will always be moments when "everything" comes back again. Like right now, when I'm typing this with tears in my eyes...

Think about the great times you had and what a great guy your dad was!! All the best to you, Peter

15. Original57

Original57

Sorry to hear about your ol' man. I've been a member nearly 12 months. I think about my ol' man every day. God we used to laugh. Like a32flathead said, remember the good times.

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

34 yr member here. I was 20 but I feel like he is still around because I use many of the skills he taught me every day. Thanks for letting us in and it does get better.

17. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Member since 84.......he was only 57

18. Mines been alive but never been around he has never even seen any of my grandchildren! Consider the time you did have and cherish the memories,I have none...

19. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I became a member at the age of 5 weeks old. I was born on October 6th , my dad died on November 13th at the age of 37. Be sad for your loss, but be thankful for what you had.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear that. I lost dad 9 years ago.

21. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Been a member since '08 but Alzheimer's took him from us about 4 years before that. I still think about him everyday and smile. It does get easier but never goes away. My condolences to you and your family.

Kevin

22. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

My Dad passed away unexpectedly in 1985. The pain fades, but never goes away. Mine wasn't too much into cars, but was a master carpenter, and a true craftsman. He taught me a lot of valuable lessons and skills, and I'm thankful for that. Just try to focus on the good times with him. You'll get through it, but you'll never forget. Hang in there.