Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Joie Chitwood Shows...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i3T3sYZ9eBk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i3T3sYZ9eBk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Saw a similar show at Bone stadium Pittston PA in the mid 50's It was a sort of competition with 3 teams of Fords, Chevies and Plymouths. Quite a thrill for a 9 year old. I think the Ford guys were called the "Canadian Aces."

3. KIRK

KIRK

My Dad took me to see the show in the early 50's in Saginaw Michigan. A real thrill for an 8 year old.

4. Abomination

Abomination

HELLS YEAH they would!

~Jason

5. old beet

old beet

Saw him many times as a kid 40s-50s, he was my Mothers Uncle. Always at family get togethers. And we got free tickets to the "Thrillshow. Mostly remember the 49 Fords. Mom still talks about him, she is 96 now, Dad is only 93!!

6. injectedA

injectedA

I remember Chitwood, but more I remember on Wide World of Sports? or other? they regularly had cars jumping and landing for points? or land a certain way? or maybe they had to turn a 360 sideways and then land? There were ramps and they sailed thru the air and landed on other cars. This was on Saturday or Sunday afternoons? Hell! maybe I don’t remember :) I do remember whatever those cars/drivers were doing I wanted to grow up and be just like them.

7. 66 Belle

66 Belle

I remember going to his shows as a kid in Illinois. My dad took me there Early 60's that was my first Helicopter ride too. One of them big bubble types.

8. 66 Belle

66 Belle

Yes it cost my dad like 15.00 for both of us to go up. Ride was like 10 minutes. It was so cool, you could just see everything out of that big piece of plexiglass. I remember the pilot saying just sit there and don't touch anything. He didn't have to worry, I sat on my hands. It was cool but I was scared Sh&#37;^less. No doors and just that little seatbelt. After my time in the military doesn't bother me at all to jump in one.

9. Abomination

Abomination

Hey... I do believe I know you from somewhere... the 318 Poly Yahoo group, perhaps? :D

~Jason

10. I saw the Chitwood show with 56 Chevrolets in 1956 at the Green County Fairgrounds in Monroe, Wisconsin.

11. jaxx

jaxx

I saw the Chitwood show at my x father-in-laws dirt track in Missoula Montana as shared star billing with that crazy Montana boy Evil -- and his dad had a jet powered Toyota car at that same show - early 70s - just plain fun -- jaxx

12. His '65 Corvette is occasionally advertised for sale on the Oakland Craigs List. It's in pieces but complete and the guy wants a small fortune for it.

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I saw a daredevil show at the Athens Co. Fair in Athens, Ohio, back when Ford's new Mustang was new. Maybe '64 or '65. They were using white Mustangs with orange stripes, and to a 4 year old, the show was great. Later I wondered if I had seen Joie Chitwood's show, but never have found out for sure.

14. This is what inspired the thread!
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Au9I5hLD29Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Sorry, meant no offense with the "M" word. I would rather see '56 Chevys any day! :D

16. EDPACECAR

EDPACECAR

Here is my friend Fred Speizio of Pottstown, Pa. who drove for Chitwood.

Attached Files:

17. I saw the thrill show at the old stock car track in Peekskill NY I think it was 1955. My uncle took me in a 50 ford with a hopped up flathead. My used to say that day ruined me for life. I don,t know if it ruined me but it set the course of my life. I was 10 , I got my first car at 12.

18. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

I recently watch a Clarke Gable movie where he was a race car driver down on his luck and joins the Chitwood show. Made in 1950 he was driving a shoe box Ford.
    The movie is "to Please a Lady" if you haven't seen it you should, Could be the best car movie you've seen in a while.

19. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

I have this program and many others for about a 15 year stretch, all of them are signed by everyone that drove in that year, sr, jr, tim etc. My dad worked at the local chevy dealer "Newport Chevrolet" the guys would come in every year and sometimes even bought thier cars there. Good memorys an di especially liked when they drove on two wheels around the whole dirt track and someone would climb out and "window surf" good times.

20. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

My dad was president of the Norman County Agricultural Society for a number of years in the 1960s. The Chitwood show was a hit for several years at the bigger and better Norman County Fair. I can close my eyes and see the guy circling the race track on two wheels, and loved the infamous "ride of death" when the guy was pulled through the flames. Model T Novelty races were also big. Local guys with hopped up and stripped down T's would have to make a lap, and then do a stunt, and then make a lap, do another stunt, etc. Stunts were eating a pie with no hands, the apple bob, drinking a bottle of pop through a nipple, sack races. Was exciting stuff. Several of the cars are still around.

21. I saw them a couple times at the Flemington Speedway as a kid back in the late 60's. I wish I could remember more than just the car driving on 2 wheels. It's a shame shows like that have been replaced by monster trucks. And as for the old Flemington Speedway, it and the fairgrounds around it are now a shopping mall. Progress...

22. I still have a ticket from 1965

Attached Files: