Register now to get rid of these ads!

Johns Industries Buick finned drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8-Track, Aug 31, 2012.

1. 8-Track

8-Track

I could not find a thread that showed any picture of these and the other thread had alot of questions about them.
    I recently purchased a set and took pictures to compare them to the original ones.
    If anyone wants a better picuture or measurement of part of this let me know. The pair cost $995.00. the brake backing plate assembly apears to be a new ford part.

Attached Files:

2. 8-Track

8-Track

here are some more pictures

Attached Files:

3. :eek: Wow,they think a lot of them! HRP

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Is that $995 for the drums only or for the drums and brake assemblies. If that includes everything that is a good deal IMO. They probably have some money in R and D and it must be tough to make these because Bob Wilson has been trying for years and still doesn't have them available.

The ones you picture look really good. The brake assemblies look like rear units due to the self adjusters on there.

Don

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Sooo, its base on a 11" drum? Can the drums be bought seperatly? Wonder if they would fit on the f1 48-52 front brakes. Please do tell all.

6. Koz

Koz

If that includes the brakes and backing plates they are a bargain! Consider what a mint set of drums and hubs are going for, add in the brakes and backing plates and the cost of the machine work. Cheep for what your getting especially when a set of SoCal fakes costs twice that. I cant imagine they are selling them that cheap.

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I agree with these guys if that's for the whole shebang that's not bad. Hubs will push it another couple hundred I bet.

8. roundvalley

roundvalley

Rear backing plates. What are you putting them on?

They do look nice.

9. 8-Track

8-Track

The price is $995.00 for the drums and brake assemblies complete.
    here are some pics of it mounted on my model A.
    I am not shure if you can buy the drums only. they will put in whatever bolt pattern you need for the drums.

Attached Files:

10. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Yes PLEASE...more info, especially since these are 11" drums-NOT replacements for ORIGINAL 12" Buicks. Also, WHERE available? DD

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Ahhh...I see that now. Pretty clever setup.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. I guess I'm still a scrounger,,:rolleyes:

I've been saving a nice old original set of original Buick drums and a set of 54 F-250 backing plates for the next non fendered car,,I have less than 50 bucks in all of it and it's not like I bought them 25 years ago.

I picked up the backing plates a Brads swap meet a couple of months ago for 10 bucks! HRP

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ah, so these aren't intended to be used on the front ? Can you add hubs, remove the self adjusters, and run them on the front, or is the bolt pattern on the backing plate wrong for early Ford spindles ?

Don

15. Koz

Koz

Pretty neat setup but i wish tthey were the 12" variety. I'm pretty much used to the look of the early brakes and the backing plates on front just need to look right. I'm going to modify a set opf early backing plates for the self energizing guts and run Lincoln drums.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... Those are pretty great.

17. Hotrodray

Hotrodray
    from Sweden

995 $ ... They sure look sweet: But... For that kind off money.. I could work a long time with junk parts...

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe I'm nuts, but that seems like a pretty ok deal to me if it comes with everything.

19. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I have these for sale at $1000

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727540

and you are right. Even at this price I'm not makin any money. I will say I like the look of the originals better but those look ok.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  20. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Ok I'm a needn to be skooled on this, they look nice but, These backing plates are just Late model Ford brakes for a 9", why cant you just take a worn out Buick brake drum face the inside out to mate to the 11" drum face and use it as a drum cover and get the same results?

21. I'd say it's worth it if it had old-style baking plates. Too bad they didn't do it based on '40 Ford or Lincoln Bendix plates.

22. What axle is that? Website says big bearing Ford 9" only.

23. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I converted Buick brakes and backing plates for my 32 Ford. I did all 4 wheels with Buick backing plates with self adjusters. They work great on a light 32 coupe.

Ago

24. Andy

Andy

If you look at pic #6, Ther drum does not appear to have a large enough flat for a 9" axle flange to fit in???The Buick drum does not have a big enough wheel mounting surface for a 5.5 dia BC wheel. The 46-48 hubs fixs this as they hang over where the Buick tapers in.

25. i have 4 original buick aluminum drums that have no cracks, chips or broken ribs, never been turned, with hubs and bearings for 500.00, any one interested, let me know

26. Deuces

Deuces

You could also buy the '78-'80? B.O.P. 9" finned drums at any parts store...

27. Cool set up thanks for posting.

Frenchy

28. 8-Track

8-Track

My axel is a new winters V8 quick change with the late outer big bearing setup, they can set this up for just about any axel or bolt pattern.