Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects John Wheeler's “Pink Hag” 35 Ford Rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dugydog, Dec 26, 2020.

1. dugydog

dugydog

So over the last few months I've been thinking that I should start a thread to document the progress made on my 1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe that I purchased in December of 2018. The car had been owned by John Wheeler (1924-2014) and was raced back in the day with a 331 Cad motor and a 3-speed Lasalle transmission. The car appeared on drag strips in and around Indiana including competing in the NHRA Nationals from 1958 thru 1962 in a B/Gas class I don't think the car was particularly successful at the Nationals but nonetheless it was there which I think is pretty cool. When I purchased the car it had been in the middle of a *gasp* Street Rod conversion, which Wheeler had began sometime in the 80's I think. I knew immediately that this had been a terrible idea and perhaps Wheeler knew it as well and that's why the project had stalled, at any rate I decided I wanted this car to be rebuilt to it's prior racing configuration somewhere between 1958 and 1962. Most of the "bad stuff" that was done to the car consisted mostly of chassis modifications and not so much to the body. In fact it still maintains it's Pink hue, "Mountian Laurel", you Cadillac guys know what I'm talking about, in fact Wheeler would pull this car to the drag strip in a matching colored '50 something Cadillac. Included in the purchase were many items that Wheeler saved including a vintage 331 Cadillac Motor, 39 Lasalle 3-speed, Weiand Drag Star intake, Magneto, Front cross member, steering box bracket that had been adapted to accept the '40 Ford box etc. etc. It's been kind a little like archeology trying to figure out how the chassis was setup. I feel like I should have started this thread 2 years ago but I honestly thought I would be driving this thing by now but I'm sure you all know how that goes. In fact I can summarize the last 2 years pretty quickly or at least give you guys the Readers Digest version of events:
    Removed all the Mustang II crap that was welded to the front-end and installed the front cross member and an original straight axle with F1 brakes and '40 wheels.
    Had the 331 motor completely gone through, complete with adjustable rockers.
    Removed the rear disc brake setup and mounted 9inch Ford old style backing plates to the axles.
    Had the '39 side shift Lasalle rebuilt and purchased a 3 speed Hurst shifter with mounting plate etc.
    Waiting for a new clutch, throw out bearing and pressure plate.
    Removed the body so I can start to figure out how the motor and trans will fit and if I can figure out the pedal assembly etc.
    So that's about it for now, I'll now attempt a few pictures

Attached Files:

2. dugydog

dugydog

I picked up my resurfaced flywheel, new pressure plate, clutch disc, and throw out bearing. I bolted it together torquing down the flywheel bolts etc. I was surprised the torque spec for the pressure plate was only 18 ft lbs. according to my shop manual. Maybe I should’ve used locktite? It’s not too late I still have to install the flywheel cover. Tomorrow I’ll put a pipe on the clutch fork and make sure that the clutch disc comes off the flywheel. Would really like to get the motor and trans set in the chassis soon. IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0657.JPG IMG_0659.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. dugydog

dugydog

-Brent-, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't stop now;)

Stogy and loudbang like this.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

You ain’t lying....

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like it was a great car to start with...and has history too. I love it.

7. chiro

chiro

I've seen this car in person and it is an amazingly cool piece of Hot Rod history. Keep going Doug.
    Andy

8. bassemir

bassemir

You have made some good progress since I was there Doug. I like the idea of starting this build log.

9. dugydog

dugydog

Today I’m working on getting the motor mocked up. I thought all along that the hurst-like motor mounts I bolted to the engine block would allow me to use the original holes in the cross member to set the motor, however as I lowered the motor over the Ford rubber biscuit the bottom of the oil pan hits the cross member. The motor does seem too IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0679.JPG far forward so I guess I’ll need to get a mount behind the cross member? Unless I’m missing something?

reagen, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  10. dugydog

dugydog

Ok my friend just came over and told me what the problem is. Rather than admit it I’ll let you guys figure it out.

11. dugydog

dugydog

Ok after some more consideration and pondering we still don’t know what the problem is

Stogy, chiro and loudbang like this.
  12. dugydog

dugydog

I’m continuing with the mock-up and bolted up a 35 Cowl that I had (remember when we bought this Rich?) also the inner fenders. I love the way Wheeler just torched a hole in them for the headers! Still trying to get the motor in the right spot IMG_0587.JPG

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love old drag Coupes ...

-Brent-, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. slv63

slv63

Sweet project. It looks like the body and paint are good enough to leave as-is. The patina looks awesome. What are your plans?

VF-1, B Bay Barn and Stogy like this.
  15. dugydog

dugydog

16. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Title caught my attention as I am a Wheeler also.
    I have an uncle John (mother's brother) Hines
    Who has a 35 3 window street rod in Philly-ironic.
    Your car is wicked! That drivetrain is bad ass.
    Going to be an awesome ride, keep us in the loop

17. Keep the fender well holes, you'll need them to change the spark plugs.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  18. petelightning

petelightning

is the trans attached and bolted in and the motor still hits?

19. dugydog

dugydog

Trans is not bolted in yet in fact once I get the motor where I think it should be I’ll work on a trans mount. I ordered 1 1/2 in. spacers from Speedway that will attach to the top of the Ford mounts. I’m hoping this will give me the clearance I need so the oil pan clears the u-bolts on the crossmember.

20. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Old school. I like it.

21. nosnhojguy

nosnhojguy

A car taking longer than you planned ,hard to imagine. You started another build thread but I still following you. I told you I would regret selling it to you. Saw your brothers car also.

22. dugydog

dugydog

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. dugydog

dugydog

Hey Doug, I hope at least I’m rebuilding the car as you would have done. I know you’d have done it faster!

Well I got the spacers from Speedway today and they worked great. It corrected the problem I had with the oil pan resting on the u-bolts of the cross member. IMG_0730.JPG

-Brent-, reagen, chiro and 2 others like this.
  24. Johnny Wheeler was a good friend of mine and fellow club brother. 25 or so years ago some of the street rodders in the club talked him into up-dating the car. I pleaded with him not to do it but he wouldn't listen. Thank God none of the guys in the club who were paint and body guys got a hold of any of the sheet metal.
    Glad you are saving this car!!

Sent from my SM-F900U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Nice Coupe.
    You really ought to get the radiator set in place so you know you have clearance up front.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  26. dugydog

dugydog

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. dugydog

dugydog

This morning I test fit the clearance between the water pump and the radiator. I have about 1 3/4 inches between the face of the water pump (where the fan mounts) and the radiator and about 8 1/4 inches from the center of the water pump face down to the radiator outlets. Since I don’t currently have a fan for the motor I checked the 390 motor in my ‘57. That fan had like a 2 or 3 inch spacer to get it closer to the radiator which obviously is not a requirement for me but the overall diameter is about 18 inches which in my case would be too long as the blades won’t clear the bottom water outlets. So I’m looking for measurements or photos of anybody that may have an early 1949ish Cadillac fan. Thanks! IMG_0733.JPG

Nailhead A-V8, reagen, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  28. dugydog

dugydog

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Can you stick the trans in and mate up to the rearend? That would tell you. Lippy

30. VF-1

VF-1

Very cool! Following along!

loudbang likes this.