Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Joe Hunt magneto feed back.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schoum, Sep 28, 2015.

1. schoum

schoum
    from france

Hi,

Can you give me your feed back about the Joe hunt magnetos, please?

On my 28 hemi powered roadster, I've an internal coil faillure this summer. I swap it with an external coil. And now, a problem with the distributor cap..... I'm a little disapointed with that!!!!!

Must I bought a new cap, or a new "traditionnal" distributor will work better????

2. Most fellas don't like to run a mag on the street. I have run joe hunt mags on the street for lots of miles and not had any major problems with them.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Is it a true magneto or a magneto look distributer?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  4. LOL "is it" I read that 3 times before I figured it out. :D :D Good question I never thought to ask that.

5. schoum

schoum
    from france

It's an HEI distributor hidden in a "look a like" magneto.

6. Never run one of those. I have not heard good things about them but no one ever posts unless they have a problem so if they are Ok how would you know? :D

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had Roger Gleason at Joe Hunt Mags convert a Cad/Olds one to Chrysler Hemi.
    Roger disassembled it, turned the case, and plated it in the 'pickled' finish. The conversion to Chrysler was included, for a reasonable price.
    It also had to be reversed, a centrifugal advance unit installed, points replaced, magnets recharged, new rotor and cap; I ended up with a new Scintilla Vertex magneto, all inside an original case.

Roger offered an alternative when I too the mag in: I could buy a look-alike "mag" with HEI internals.
    "For a few dollars more".:p
    I nixed that option, so he went ahead with a Hunt unit that would start easily with cranking.

(I recalled a Pounden mag in my youth, had it on my old Reath Hemi in my '46. Push start, fired right up. Would not start when cranked. Tried my Mallory, lit right off. Tested the Pounden in the vise. Hot spark, put it back on the engine. No start. Called Jerry Pounden. He asked why I was trying to start a blown Chrysler with a starter.?!? Replaced the Pounden with my Mallory. Whew!)

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

There is a newer version of the magneto/distributer out there available thru Hilborn FI. the thing has been flogged hard and is compatable with EFI. They are pricey but you are buying quality