Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Joe Hunt electronic distributor questions y block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Asphalt Demon, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Hi all, Ive bought one of these Joe Hunt magneto look electronic distributors for my y block.Its been sitting on my work bench for a couple of years and finally got around to try installing it on my 272 y block ford. Heres the problem,5 outa 8 plug wires went in fine,The others were tight.I,m using 8mm msd wires.
    The quality of the cap is a little cheaper looking than other vertex magneto caps i have of the same style on my magnetos,so i reamed out the plug wire holes,on two spots this worked fine,there was casting imperfections in the plastic cap.
    I've noticed the vertical brass pole behind the spike that go,s through the lead got damaged,or reamed out by accident on one ignition lead hole,and is essentially now gone on one lead but that wire seem to still get bloody jammed. I looked at one of my magneto caps and saw that two of the longer plug runners had holes ,I imagine to stop airlock jamming a lead in?
    Heres my questions as the leads still won't go in to that one hole? these maybe obviuos and I'm fearing the worst I've damaged the cap.

Can i drill these holes into the electronic distributor caps to help wire input into the cap that seem to be missing,to remove air pressure or am i wrong about that?

Have i stuffed the cap by accidentally reaming and removing the vertical brass pole behind the screw that spikes the lead, inside the lead hole?

Can i replace a electronic cap with a replacement magneto cap if i have stuffed it? or do i need a specific electronic dissy cap?

Thanks Johnny

2. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Pics of electronic cap verse a magneto cap with holes,last pic being the magneto cap , Johnny 56386A8D-6149-4951-B146-1CBF2EFCFCA9.jpeg C36AED03-11E7-4C04-8EA9-9A990B6B6D69.jpeg AF2ECAA1-8EC4-421F-A809-154B7C6B96BB.jpeg

3. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

bump,anybody use one of these?

4. alchemy

alchemy

If I was you I'd try a real Vertex cap.

Asphalt Demon likes this.

5. First problem is I believe these caps are for 7mm wires. I had the same problem using 8mm Taylor wires and tried wd-40, dielectric grease at different times to help the wires slide in easier. That didn't work. I managed to get the longest wires to go through after leaving them in the freezer for an half hour the pushing them in. Freezing them shrinks them just enough to make the task a little easier. I had to do this with both the o/g Hunt cap and the vertex replacement when the original started cross firing, so brand doesn't make a difference. I will say the vertex cap looks like a higher quality cap then the Joe Hunt.

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  6. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Thanks Slayer, that’s good advice, shrinking them, I thought about them being for a 7 mm lead but with five leads fitting easily, I was unsure , and thought 8mm would fit. Have you had any other problems? I will buy a vertex cap, the extra holes in the long lead holes shouldn’t promote crossfire’s? Johnny

7. The Joe hunt cap started cross firing the third time we started our fresh Hemi. We had never drove it yet. Dad was trying to crank it and I saw the arcing on the top of the cap between the number stickers. I had him try it again with the garage lights off just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. We switched to a Vertex cap and had no problems with it, other then the same issue with the way the wires fit.

8. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Thanks Slayer! I’ll ditch the joe hunt cap all together and grab a vertex, freezer shrinking the plug leads is , I’ll say it again a great tip !Johnny

9. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

If you're going to use that Vertex Mag Cap, you might want to put a new contact in the center hole?? just saying....

10. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

That is an old busted cracked cap , I had laying around the shop, it should really be in the rubbish, I just wanted to show the two holes in the long plug holes on the vertex cap that are omitted on the joe hunt cap to see if anyone thought it would make a difference. Well spotted though. Johnny