Register now to get rid of these ads!

joe hunt distributor issue?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by showkar, Mar 25, 2012.

1. showkar

showkar
    from michigan

having an issue with my 53 merc breaking up and backfiring
    over 3000 rpms... doesnt seem to be a fuel issue. running
    a joe hunt distributor. does this system use a ballest resistor
    and could this be an issue if one is used. or should i send
    it back to joe hunt for an internal problem? any input appreciated.
    :( distributor awful warm to the touch, actually to me seems hot.

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

The location, right next to the head, may be the "hot" issue...(Assuming you are running a Flathead?) If you know of someone with a distrubitor setup machine, Sun, or Allen,.. Have it checked for points "floating" or "bouncing", at higher rpm. I don't recall if Ford products used a ballast resistor on 49-53 systems.

4TTRUK

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

There shouldn't be a ballast resistor inasmuch as a magneto doesn't use any external power source. That's what makes it a magneto-it generates it's own power to it's own coil. It's either the points or it's got a bad coil in it. If it's new, send it back. If it's got some age on it, send it to Bubba.

4. Weasel

Weasel

OP says it's a distributor....

5. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Must use a ballast resistor with a Mallory dual point or similar.
    One other thing you might wanna check is the regulator.
    If it charges more than 14-15 volts, you will get it to break up on the higher rpm's.

.............................¨
    Taildragger&fenderless

6. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Boy, I sure muffed that! That's what "speed reading" will get ya. I saw "Joe Hunt" and went from there.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Master of None

Master of None

If its a Hunt mag look alike electronic distributor, then yes it needs a ballast resistor in like with the hot wire. Its says you need one in the included instructions, and there is one in the box it comes in. Or at least the one I have in my truck did.

8. showkar

showkar
    from michigan

yes it is a mag look alike. any idea why its breaking up over 3000 rpm? i am using
    the ballast resistor, when cold runs great, have noticed the dist. itself is really
    on the warm side toward hot. is this normal

9. Master of None

Master of None

I'd give them(Joe Hunt) a call, their tech line is pretty helpful. Are you sure that your timing is spot on for the advance they suggest? Think there was a suggested advance for my 289 ford.....cant remember off the top of my head. But I do remember it having to be spot on or it wouldn't run worth a sh@#.

10. showkar

showkar
    from michigan

thanks for your input, will call them monday morning , i know
    where it is located is not helping, lot of engine heat i presume
    is not good for it. thanks

11. I don't remember the problems that my son had initially with his Hunt distributor. but one call to hunt and it has performed flawless since.

12. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

You have 3 wires out of the plug. One oes though a ballast resister, one goes to 12 Volts, ans I think the ther goes to ground. Download diagram to be sure,

13. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

The mag look alike is somewhat problematic . They put the ignition coil inside and drill thru the iron core to drive the unit. Then they use ( sitting right on top of the coil) a pertronixs control module. You must run a ballast AND keep the plug gap down to prevent any high voltage from false triggering the module. The unit cant take long hits of high KV for sure....

14. Anyone having internal coil issues ? GMC Bubba makes a good point. Thought all coils were cooled with oil.

15. tomcurnow

tomcurnow
    from Los Angles

GOOD news just around the corner. I had the same problems with my Hemi powered Thunderbird with EFI. Sent back to Hunt for EFI upgrade Still not right , had not even go to the failure issue yet...Put MSD unit in all worked fine. I still wanted the Vertex..Hunt look so began a year project ,probably $15,000 later we now have fixed the issue, Hilborn will have inventory by May 1, 2015. will be in their display at LA Roaster Show in June, not cheap, but done right , can be used on carb application with MSD programable 6al box Contact Andy Star at Hilborn East Coast office or contact me for more info. Tomcurnow@aol.com

16. Road Angels

Road Angels

heat break down of one of the internal componets condenser, or a fuel problem when off the choke since you say its ok when cold

17. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

TO DATE WE HAVE CONVERTED QUITE A FEW OF THESE TO EXTERNAL COIL. EARLY VERSIONS USED MALLORY AND LATER UNITS USED PETRONIXS MODULES ETC. BOTH ARE OK CONTROLLERS BUT CANT RUN NEXT TO LOW RESISTANCE IGNITION COIL.
    PRETTY SIMPLE TO DISCONNECT COIL AND ADD VERTEX EXTERNAL CONNECTION FOR SECONDARY WIRE. COIL COULD BE HIDDEN OR JUST PLACED ON FIREWALL....
    IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE THE NEW FIX , CANT BEAT THE LOOK..

18. daholland67

daholland67

I just bought one from alkydigger. Dead out of the box. Wouldn't even shock me. Had power going in.....nothing out. Had to send it to Joe Hunt for testing. Waited patiently with no response. Called 5 times, 4 emails and nothing from Hunt. Alkydigger finally responded by forwarding an email from Hunt saying it ran fine 30 minutes and I had sent snotty emails they hadn't answered. So now Alkydigger has deep discounted the last one they have in stock and informed me I have to pay 20% restock fee on a part that wasn't working for me but mysteriously worked on the test bench at Hunt.

Sure wish I would have found your site before I spent $679 in a piece of junk the vendor has marked down to $499 now.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Seems like there's quite a few posts here on problems with these units - great idea, perhaps poorly executed.

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

A lot of complaints about Joe Hunt look alike magnetos. I don't know if they corrected the problem of the early units or they still have issues.

21. Bubba,
    I have not run a mag look alike but I have heard the same thing about them. ^^^^^^^

I personally prefer an external coil unless I am running a real vertex mag. Even a stock GM HEI has heating problems that stem from the internal coil.

22. Ragtop

Ragtop

Have you worked on these Taylor/Vertex Distributers? I have one I'd like to use. It was in my buddy's roadster and I had it running for him and then it failed. I called Taylor about it and they said they were working on the problem but that was a couple of years ago. I haven't bothered with it since and this post got me thinking it'd be neat in my latest project. Wondering if I could ship it to you. PM me?

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    from Austin, TX
    Staff Member

Interesting... The Hunt magneto look-a-like just took a turn on the Auderer Flathead while it was on the stand today. It's coming off... and a Vertex is going on.