Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration "Jocko" Johnson Aluminum Car Sculptures/Est Value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FleaBiscuit, Jul 22, 2016.

1. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

Hey guys... have a favor to ask. I am helping my Father sell off a few things from his collection. So far most everything is fairly straight-forward, but these cars he has that were sculpted by the late Jocko Johnson are quite unique, and finding the actual value of these is extremely difficult, because they just don't seem to exist anywhere.

Jocko_Cars.jpg

No need to post estimated values publicly, but if you are knowledgeable in this area, and wouldn't mind sending me a PM with some information, that'd be great! Or, if you'd like to make a legitimate offer, that's fine as well. I would have posted these in the classifieds, but it says there i have to have a price... but that's what i'm trying to figure out... lol! I WAS thinking of just putting them up on FleaBay, but it really helps to have the right people looking at such a unique item as this.

I also have a Jocko-built tether car that has a mini supercharged engine in it, all hand formed aluminum body... its a fantastic piece! May not sell that one though. LoL!

Anyway, any information that anyone can help provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Stogy likes this.
  2. no help on value

can you post some pictures of that tether car?

3. Those Jocko sculptures are art. They were done during the last part of Jocko's life, in his artist period. I would try to get them appraised by someone in the art world. Myself, and anyone else that knew Jocko, would love to own just one of those, but I'm going to say the actual value is over my budget. I can see the complete collection going for 5 grand, or more. I would love to know your father's connection with Jocko, and how he acquired the collection.

Stogy and Rice n Beans Garage like this.
  4. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

36-3window: I'll get a picture of it later tonight for you... its a really awesome little car, and the supercharger is the one reason i was really drawn to it as a child. Its got a seat, windshield, miniature banjo rear end, detailed dash, etc... very detailed for what would/could/should otherwise be a "simple" tether car.

Dean: Whether anyone says they are art or not, i definitely think they are also... haha! Is there a specific art appraiser that you know of that would be more in the "hot rod world" versus going to a random gallery somewhere? I'm sure the valuation would be different based on the appraisers knowledge of the actual market... I've never seen these anywhere else, and not even sure if duplicates exist anywhere... let alone any that have been sold recently to use as comps, etc...

As for my Fathers connection to Jocko, i know very little relating to that. I think he mainly knew him from going to shows and simply buying these (and a few other things) from him. He may have known him a lot longer than that though. My Father used to be a member of the LA Roadster Club a looooong time back.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - when you decide on values, and if you plan to sell them, be sure to post in Classifieds here. might try the Petersen Museum, in LA, for a recommendation.

6. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

Thanks! I definitely will post them up here if we're able to figure out proper values for everything. I don't want to put way to high of a price on them and have them never sell, but i do want to make sure that my Father is able to get a fair $$ amount for them. I'd rather him keep them and enjoy them than have him get screwed somehow.

7. I don't know anyone in the art world. I would find the closest art gallery, and go talk to them about a qualified appraiser. I know of another Jocko blown teather car. Pinstripe artist, Larry Fator, has one. If he has any of the sculptures I have not seen them. Larry and Jocko were close friends. He has an art deco aluminum bicycle that Jocko built. Simply stunning!

Nobey likes this.
  8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Stogy likes this.
  9. Good tip Gary.

10. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

Sorry, been a while but just wanted to update this for those that wanted to see the Tether car... I finally got it out of storage.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

Thor1, Stogy, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  11. oj

oj

Beautiful!

Dino64 and FleaBiscuit like this.
  12. Holy shit that's cool!

FleaBiscuit likes this.
  13. Yeah,I'd never sell that.It's a work of art for sure.

FleaBiscuit likes this.
  14. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

Thanks guys! I don't know if it's totally obvious, but the engine is actually supercharged... Which is the big reason I fell in love with this car when I was younger. Here's some better pics of that.

Attached Files:

Jon SSS, Thor1, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Neat MF I would definitely hang on to the supercharged one, love it, if you don't PM me I would love to have it. Thanks Frank

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have the plans for that scale tether car...was working on some hard wooden bucks to form aluminum body, then life reared its ugly head and project got back burnered.
    Too many irons in the fire, then nothing gets finished!

17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

18. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yep that sure is a neat piece, did you notice the chain driving the blower

Looks like the stainless chain made by Diamond that has the pins .147 apart, and you can tons of mini sprockets in stainless and alum

Used it in the past really cool stuff

DND

19. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

Just to follow up on this discussion, and for anyone watching it, we decided to begin putting some of the smaller sculptures up on eBay to see how it would do. Just posting this one for now, but depending on how it does, we will post up the rest.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252587634624

May not be the best place to try to sell them, but it's all I've got really.

Thanks for anyone watching... My father really appreciate any and all help that we have received so far through here

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Man, I can't believe you have to stoop to ebay levels with these... consider a booth at a big "as seen on TV" auto auction? A display or booth at a big Concours, like Amelia Island or Pebble Beach? That's what I'd do first. Gary

loudbang likes this.
  21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Going off the reservation(at least a little) : Have you considered "The Antiques Roadshow" on PBS? Before you start "stoning" me, please consider : they seem to attempt to come up with reasonable valuations, & considering the volume of work, would definitely 'establish' with the Sculpture Art people that Jocko Johnson was a 'legitimate' Sculptor/Artist(We auto racing guys already know that!!), & that should establish an Art World Collectible Value that should be well above ANY E-bay price, especially considering the rarity of his work! I hope this helps both you(& Jocko) achieve proper recognition & reward!

loudbang likes this.
  22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

5 grand??? sorry no
    art is strange, without a signature or a letter of authenticity (that isnt fake) no proof that he did them or I did them. ARS has a bank of searchers on PC's in back doing research and previous sales amounts and without examples to compare to you are not even going to the front table. Go to Las Vegas and see if Rick (Pawnstars)has a GUY thats into these and knows what they are worth. To the right buyer, who understands what they are and who (possably) did them $500/$600 tops. The teather car on the other hand is sweet and worth really big bux, lots of those colletors out there
    I really hope I am wrong about this for your dads sake.
    I have a set of original Jocko Oldsmobile Fuel heads , Brazed and relocated ports and all, And my wife needs a new car.

100_2332.JPG 100_2331.JPG 100_2333.JPG

23. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Flea, you might want to give the people at the Speedway Museum in Lincoln NE a call. The tether car is worth some bucks and they have several on display. I wonder if Jocko used them for wind tunnel testing. You can also get in touch with the NHRA Museum.

i.rant and loudbang like this.
  24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I suspect there are easily 100 guys out there with big collections that would buy them without any documentation, hands down, because they know what they are. But do they know they're available yet? Those are the guys you need to get bidding on those sculptures. I was at the GNRS a few years ago and a fellow there was selling about 1/8 scale 32 ford bronzes. Sorry to say I can't remember his name, but the stuff he did was fantastic. But being bronzes, they were cast and therefore reproducible. And they were very much over $5K each, as I recall. Gary

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

Bumping this up.... nearly a couple years older now, but the sculpture pieces sold, and we are now looking to sell the Tether car... if you or someone you know may be interested in it, and willing to make an offer, please PM me.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Way!!!!! Above my pay grade! But neat as heck. Good luck.

27. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

Thanks! The Tether Car is REALLY badass... i very much hate to get rid of it, but it does need to go, and hopefully it'll go to a great home. I've been considering just listing it on eBay, and seeing where it goes price-wise. I know what we'd "like" to get for it, but that may not be what we will get... or it may be under what it'd bring in... i don't know...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

Sigh.... well you only live once... Here is the eBay listing... wasn't going to list this for a few days, but may as well rip the band-aid off... :(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332720442818

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I can't remember the web address right off. But search the American society of appraisers. They have a nationwide database of qualified folks arranged by location and topic. Spend a little and get a real value. Don't sell yourself short here--these are a pretty specialized niche, but i suspect have a pretty good bit of value, even unsigned as attribited pieces.

I run a museum and can't ethically do appraisals but this is the same advise i give out on an almost daily basis.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

@FleaBiscuit please contact the Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed before letting the tether car go on Ebay. I can almost guarantee they would be interested in it. They already have an impressive collection of tether cars and this would be a perfect addition.