Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Jim's helpful shop tip.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 85-percent, Nov 8, 2016.

  1. 85-percent
    Joined: Apr 5, 2005
    Posts: 323

    85-percent
    Member

    acidrust-1.jpg acidrust-2.jpg After fifteen years, I finally figured out why everything surface rusts in my garage! I have a few never opened gallons of muriatic acid I sometimes use outside for derusting. This pic is a $19.95 home depot neon shop light that was resting vertically on top of a gallon of acid. For years. Note the rust on the light and what fell on to the acid container. I think acid vapors can slowly leak out even with a factory sealed container. All muriatic acid will now live outside in a bomb shelter or something.

    I finally contributed some perhaps valuable know how to the HAMB! Sorry it's not about scratch building a 41 willys coupe or something interesting like that. I'M NOT THAT TALENTED!

    -90% Jimmy
     
    Stogy, belair, AVater and 3 others like this.
  2. oldsjoe
    Joined: May 2, 2011
    Posts: 2,525

    oldsjoe
    Member

    Was at a buddy's shop over the weekend and he was digging through a very rusty cabinet and found a sealed bottle of Muriatic Acid it to ruined the cabinet and every metal piece tool chain in it! So it's not just you! Joe
     
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    jetnow1 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker
    Joined: Sep 3, 2006
    Posts: 25,150

    Jalopy Joker
    Member

    good info - Thanks
     
  4. Gofannon
    Joined: Feb 8, 2007
    Posts: 573

    Gofannon
    Member

    I had a lot of rust form after I had been gas welding aluminium. The flux must have vaporised and settled on everything. We don't give enough thought to chemicals.
     

  5. HiHelix
    Joined: Dec 20, 2015
    Posts: 381

    HiHelix
    Member

    What others kinda acids ya got up in dar ?
     
  6. Kan Kustom
    Joined: Jul 20, 2009
    Posts: 2,618

    Kan Kustom
    Member

    You could have just been pissed and took it out on everyone you meet. Instead you turned your bad luck into helping your friends. You are a good man. Thanks. And yes, you are talented in a better way!
     
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Petejoe
    Joined: Nov 27, 2002
    Posts: 10,540

    Petejoe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Zoar, Ohio

    Have one setting in my garage, Its going outside NOW. Thanks
     
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Ron Brown
    Joined: Jul 6, 2015
    Posts: 1,568

    Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

    Not only Muratic acid, but any caustic liquid can do this...Im in the fire sprinkler industry and regardless of how nice a place is, if it has an indoor pool, the sprinkler heads and trim rings rust so badly they have to be replaced every couple years. good tip this one
     
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. 325w
    Joined: Feb 18, 2008
    Posts: 5,350

    325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from texas

    Yes Sir it's no secret. Run your kerosene blower heater and the acid fumes mix. The stainless on your car gets small rust spots on it. Your friend comes in the garage where you've been most of the day. He quickly hits the door opener and orders you out of your own garage. After about an hour in the open air your realize how bad the air was in the garage. I've not had in muratic acid around in years.
     
  10. 79mbu
    Joined: May 3, 2011
    Posts: 39

    79mbu
    Member
    from australia

    We have a storage room in our garage. Many of the tools stored there have gotten very rusty in the past few years. I first blamed it on the high humidity during typical Australian summers. But tools in other parts of the garage did not show the same level of corrosion. It finally dawned on me...we also stored pool chemicals (chlorine, hydro-chloric acid, etc) in the same storage room. Although the (plastic) containers are well sealed, I am convinced vapours have escaped slowly over time and caused the heavy rust. Have just moved the containers into a storage box outdoors!
     
    wraymen likes this.
  11. Some great advice. You just don't think about some things until someone reminds you....Thanks.
     
    lothianwilly71 and wraymen like this.
  12. X2 on the pool chemicals. A community pool kept their chemicals in the electric room and it disintegrated an 800 amp meter cabinet. The only thing holding the bus bars up were the line and load cables. They had to replace everything in the room.
     
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Fedcospeed
    Joined: Aug 17, 2008
    Posts: 2,011

    Fedcospeed
    Member

    I work at a small water treatment plant.Inside open filter pools which have a heavy CL contents.Also the dreaded fluoride tank upstairs and down stairs with dosing tanks.I know the fluoride vents a bit into the inside air . The windows near these are etched and over time we need new copy machines and such because the contacts get all boogered up.Erasers on new pencils in a storage cabinet about 15 ft away were dry as a bone in two months. Where I do most of my work is on the other end of the building.No one has ever gotten cancer since the plant opened in 38.
    Point is,in a shop your ceiling florescent lights wont last and it will work on machine switches too. Store that crap outside or in a sealed cabinet like thinners are.Cant be good for that expensive paint job either
     
  14. AV8 Dave
    Joined: Jan 3, 2003
    Posts: 680

    AV8 Dave
    Member

    Add me too Jim and Joe! Did the same thing last week and found a plastic bottle of it in the far back "now rusty" corner of my flammables cabinet. It will shortly be off to the local hazardous waste disposal site. Haven't used it in ages and couldn't even remember what I originally bought it for!
     
  15. Dang!-Great info-I am going to have to check out all my storage cabinets for conflicting materials
     
  16. Stogy
    Joined: Feb 10, 2007
    Posts: 16,606

    Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

    Wonder what the hell its doing to us :eek:. Stretching this premise out a little and just thinking the trunk of the hot rod has surface rust is the area of the battery (same acid isn't it?) so I guess it stands to reason it may be contributing to this as well. Hmmmm...what to do. This is not the only demon in the garage but time to get rid of it. What about Vinegar, Molasses, Mothballs, etc. We all have to careful with all of this stuff. Thanks Frank...I mean 85:D
     
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  17. Found out the hard way. A 50 50 mix of a calcium rust and lime product and water. Forgot I set it aside on the mill. All the collets in the holder rusted, and that's only the first thing I noticed. Needless to say, lot's of Scotch-Brite and WD-40 was in order. Never doing that again.
     
  18. 325w
    Joined: Feb 18, 2008
    Posts: 5,350

    325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from texas

    Then their is MEK. This is some bad stuff. While working a project for the Safety dept. at the local car factory I found many employees washing their hands in the stuff. I ran them copies of the MSDS sheets. Some of the guys scoffed others couldn't believe the hazards. Think about the times we washed our hands in gasoline are thinner. I wear rubber gloves a lot now days.
     
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Bruce Lancaster
    Joined: Oct 9, 2001
    Posts: 21,682

    Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

    At least we are more aware of all the chemical stuff around us that we were in the days of tradition...I bet there are lots of people here like me who spent many hours cleaning parts in buckets of leaded gasoline without a thought!
     
    wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. The stereotype of the old fellow in every small town gas station that seemed a little short on brain cells is no joke. Imagine spending a lifetime pumping leaded fuel and having it soak into your pores. Who knew!
     
    wraymen likes this.
  21. xpletiv
    Joined: Jul 9, 2008
    Posts: 938

    xpletiv
    Member
    from chiburbs

    Now get that rising thing off from leaning up against that car!
    I know it's an OT car, but give it some respect.
     
  22. xpletiv
    Joined: Jul 9, 2008
    Posts: 938

    xpletiv
    Member
    from chiburbs

    Rusty thing.....stupid autocorrect.
     

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!

Archive

Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.