Register now to get rid of these ads!

jimmy smith art work come to life 28 model a 2 door tub

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32coupedeville, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Hah. It's just ol' Burt!

2. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

here is some pics of the cowl area that i reshaped . is still need some more final grinding and welding once the body is off the frame . also i wanted to reinforce the body quarter more so that when i shut the doors the quarters were good and solid and stayed put. also i trimmed the back of the body for the winters quick change. i will be making the hood next

3. striper

striper

Can't see no pics :(

4. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

man the pics didnt come up.

Attached Files:

5. striper

striper

6. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i need to do a final grind on the very bottom of the cowl but i will do that when i take the body off the frame but you get the idea of the shape

7. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Holy CRAP! What's not to like about this situation?

Attached Files:

8. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i started on the hood. this will be my second hood and the first aluminum hood that i have made . it seams to be kinda hard aluminum. 5052 .063 aluminum. i dont know . i dont have much experence with aluminum to know. here are pics

Attached Files:

9. brandon

brandon

Slip roller....don't need no stinkin roller.:D

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Kickass Drew, glad to see this one getting some attention!

11. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

yes i kinda lost my way so to speak. i got wrapped up in other projects but now i am full time on this tub. after all it is my ride to speedweek in august. i have finished up the drivers side of the cowl and welded and ground most everything else. i need to get it over to hot rod highleys here in a few weeks for the frame to be painted. then i have to do the body work and prime the body. i hope to get it all together in time to have a few months driving time on it before bonneville. the also few cars we put together only had a few 100 miles on the clock before we took off. that is never fun. best to shaken out good before a long haul!

12. customcory

customcory

Drew , who did them louvers, thats the shape I'm looking for! I need to send them a little panel to do.

13. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i got the hood bent to shape. i have to take the hood tomorrow to are main shop and fold the edges in our break. now i need to make the sides now. pics soon

14. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

well it may seam that i have been draging my feet on this and i have alittle. once i used are break and folded the edge of the hood it took out some of the curve in the hood. i have been fighting with it for some time now to get the curve back in it. i spent most of the afternoon trying to get the curve back. i finaly got it to fit the cowl and the grille great. it took brute force and alot of luck but i just used my argon tank and just about every thing round in the shop it get it to fit. it is on and i started working on the hood sides. they are simple and streight. here are some pics.

Attached Files:

15. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

oh i have been getting alot of the little loose ends together. i havebeen cleaning up a 73 vette 350 sbc . i also have all these goodies to put in the engine aswell. stay tuned. it is coming along. it will be at hotrodhighley's very soon for paint.

Attached Files:

16. bonesy

bonesy

That's looking great. I'm happy to see the updates.

(I know we are not allowed to talk about it on here - but the ragtop is sweet too!)

17. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

that is my old high school car. i have had it since 93

18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

R&C hasn't ran an art feature in so long. What a drag when this can be the result.
    C'mon Sourceinterlink, give'em some more ink and pages to work with!!!!!

That's FIVE exclamation points!

Woops, another one...

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Next time you do an aluminum hood, try 3003 .063 material instead of 5052. You won't believe how much easier it is to form...

Caught the bug first thing too! I've logged many a mile in a type 1 ragtop or six!

20. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i tried to get softer aluminum but our metal shop said this 5052 was good and soft. i wish they could come over and sooth my acking back and muscles . softer aluminum would be better. i will try 3003 next time.i am still happy with it . i just seamed to harden up as i worked with it. the more i bent it the harder it was to bend.

21. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

oh i am to just tryin to score brownie points but we need to see more art in the mags. i for one would like to see more of jeem's work. i keep going to your web site just to get a fix.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I know exactly what you mean! I have built a couple out of 5052 over the years, and trust me it will be better next time with 3003...

Neat little tub by the way! I loved this one when he was drawing it a few years ago and it 's neat to see it go 3 dimensional. I too wish Jeem's stuff was in the mags more these days.

23. Hotaling

Hotaling
    from lubbock,Tx

should be an eye catcher!!!! look forward to seeing later.

24. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i got the hood sides done. i still have to attach them with some lunch box latches. i will be sending the hood out to a guy i know that will punch the hood side full of louvers.just about ready to pull the tub apart for paint. hotrodhighley will be spraying the frame. here are some pics

Attached Files:

25. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good stuff,what color?

26. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

chassis will be black, body old red primer for now till i get back from bonneville, and the hood will be left raw aluminum.

27. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool, that puppy is looking badass

28. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

man i hate to look at jeems fackbook page . everytime i do i want to build all those cars. he make a chevy luv truck cool !

29. Man what a nice built love the front wheels.

Thanks
    Frenchy

30. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks man. I'm getting excited! You've totally nailed the spirit that I intended for a project like this. The damn QC probably out-values every other part on this car, but the whole deal works together really well. ha