Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Jimmy Jones fender skirts

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by straykatkustoms, Jul 31, 2019.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. There was a good thread here around 2001? discussing his skirts. Cool stuff

straykatkustoms likes this.
  3. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Beautiful, Great story.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. Wish I had a set for my Merc. That one above is one of my favorite Mercs. The skirts are perfect.

Hotdoggin DaddyO, OG lil E and Sancho like this.

5. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Wonder why someone can't do the same today, oh yea, paper thin sheet metal.

6. williebill

williebill

What are Jimmy Jones skirts worth now?

7. There have been a few sets for sale here on the HAMB over the years ranging from 500-1000 for a set.

straykatkustoms and OG lil E like this.
  8. Jimmy Jones was THE MAN! He should be in some custom hall of fame somewhere. A true artist! E

Jimmy Jones' Shop KOA Styleline NovDec 95 p37.jpg

Pug}{maN, Sancho, stanlow69 and 9 others like this.
  9. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Agree with above , I liked the look , and understood it took mechanical skill (shapeing) , as well as artistic skill (appearance) . A lot have one or the other, but seldom both.

Sancho, stanlow69, drdave and 4 others like this.
  10. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks a lot! Glad you liked the story :)

I got a lot of info and leads on this story from the HAMB. The research goes on, and I'm currently trying to dig up a photo of the man himself...that has not been easy :)

Sancho, stanlow69, drdave and 4 others like this.
  11. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I talk to an old guy about Jimmy Jones skirts due to the fact that he had a set and he obtain them from Mr. Jones, himself. But it was a painful experience in obtaining them. At the time, he did not have enough money to buy a pair so he had Mr. Jones make one up for one side of his car (1950 Olds). He said it was pretty neat, only the white wall was showing and not the rim, look like he lower the car more than he did. So he save up enough money and went back for the other side. Well one side cost X number of dollars and the other side (the second one) cost X number of dollars plus. So the second one cost more than the first one. He asked Mr. Jones why the second one cost more, because he did not have enough money and had to come back later to get it. Mr. Jones told him the first one set the standard, he did not have to match anything other than fitting the quarter panel but the second one had to look exactly like the first one and also fit the car the same way. But my friend would not let it go and asked him if that was the case with all of the skirts he made. Mr. Jones replied that he usually makes them up in sets, working on both sides the same time, using the same sections of sheet metal the same time, and finishing them the same time. I know fact or fiction, who knows, I did not see the car. I first meet this guy at a gas station while he was filling up his 59 Chevy and that had finder skirts (Foxcraft).

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was reading that article the other day. I have to dig through my gmail, because it always hides it in promotions or some crap.

Good job on the article.
    Root

13. Torchie

Torchie

For those of us that grew up in the Detroit area we always called those "Inkster" skirts.
    Torchie

drdave and OG lil E like this.
  14. 504640

Yeah, Jimmy Jones was a true artist! The illustrator of the above attachment isn't bad either. I can't decipher the signature. Do you know who it is, Lil E?

Sancho likes this.
  15. That illustration was in the Nov/Dec 1995 KOA Styleline on page 37. It is hard to make out, even looking at the magazine, but the signature looks like J. Rich. E

Sancho likes this.
  16. Here’s an off the wall story for ya. The other day I pull up to the music shop in my Merc (with fiberglass bubble skirts) for my guitar lesson and this older guy pulls in behind me wanting to ask me about my car. He asks me if I knew where the skirts came from. I told him couldn’t remember the name of the place but I could look it up and get back to him. Asks me if they are metal and told him they were glass. Then he says do you know the history? I grew up near Detroit and there was a guy outside town who made them from roofs of cars he says. (Remember, I’m in central Arkansas). Jimmy Jones I says...Inkster skirts! That’s the guy he says...he lived in Inkster so we called them Inkster skirts. Then tells me his brother had a set on his 53Ford and just gave them away to a here in town not too long ago. Rats!!!

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I heard more than once that many cars in the salvage yards(back then) all around inskster had chunks of metal messing from them. More than likely used as metal taken for skirts.

straykatkustoms, Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

There is a pic in a Jimmy Jones thread here someplace that has a pic of a car in a junkyard with a set sliced out of it. Pretty cool! The '59 Imapala convertible pushing the dragster looks really nice with it's set. I didn't realize until reading the link that his "rainbow" is one feature that makes these skirts look so good.

straykatkustoms, Sancho and OG lil E like this.