Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Jim "JAKE" Jacobs, The Original Traditional Hot Rodder ! "TRODA"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

IMG_9228.PNG
    Same type of photo by P-Wood but on a trailer.
    I guess that the owner was "Dollar". P&J's built the tube chassis,
    Jake filled the top, Steve Davis did the Tub work & aluminum interior. Pete's brother hammered out the rear window.

This pic is from the 1992 book Hot Rods by Pete & Jake with Tony Thacker who rode with us on Americruise 93.
    I'm glad that Jake's seen this post, I hope that he felt appreciated for being a big part of what makes this a great Hot Rod world.

26hotrod, willysguy, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

from left to right ; Steve Davis, Pete Chapouris, Joe D'Elia, unk, unk, Me (Pete Eastwood), Jake Jacobs, Tom Vandenberg.

3. IMHO,you don't get the accolades you deserve,you helped shape the styles we still enjoy. HRP

26hotrod, Hackerbilt, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  4. Yeah...I'd chime in with agreement with ya, Danny! I've always been a fan of the '32 stake truck that @Pete Eastwood built, and I tried to emulate the stance with my '40 stake truck.

26hotrod and deucemac like this.
  5. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

Hi Rocker77 Thank You so much for showing Jake the thread, that made my friends Day!!! i also asked him about the photo's he said he took most of them, But the one with Jake and his Bitchin Tub on Pismo Beach, he said Jake gave him that one personally and it's ONE of his top Favorite pictures of all TIME too, along with a few other treasured photos Jake gave him, All we are trying to do at this end: is keep the flame burning for these guys who inspired a generation of Hot Rodders and in light with the Passing of Pete Thank You

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    26hotrod, kidcampbell71 and ROCKER77 like this.
  6. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

20170122_162055.jpg Jakes 34 with wide whites

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  7. Greetings from James Dean, Indiana, or actually Fairmount...hometown of James Dean. I've been enjoying reading this thread about Jake. I've followed articles about his projects since he was introduced in the late '60s in Rod and Custom.
    In the May 1973 issue of Rod and Custom (the 2oth Anniversary issue), he mentioned he had a Chevy low-rider, I think it was a '55, and I've always wondered if there were pictures online of it? Does anyone know of any pics or details on the car?
    Many thanks.

26hotrod and spurgeonforge like this.
  8. One other comment about Jake - you might like to take a look at the cover of the February '67 Drag Cartoons. Jake's on the cover.

Dave in Indiana

Attached Files:

26hotrod and brad2v like this.
  9. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

Cyclone Kevin, yes the photo is the same type, my friend gave/donated 2 original photos to P-Wood years ago as he didn't have any, seems everybody forgot to take photos back them??, he has a few more photos at different angles he said take them all, P-Wood picked only 2 and one of them appeared in the P&J Book by Tony Thacker which is Great as everybody got to see this work of Art, and in turn P-Wood gave my friend a bitchin timing tag, which he still has today, its one of his treasured hot rod items. He has a photo of P-Woods Neat Deuce 3w, Tom 'The Pipes' Vandenberg's bitchin A coupe, Jake's Zonker, behind the old Pete and Jakes in Temple City, they had just returned from the Nats, Pete had sold The Kid to Chris etc

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  10. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

Great Magazine Cover thanks

26hotrod likes this.
  11. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

20170122_161255.jpg Just another photo

26hotrod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

20170122_160659.jpg Awesome Sign note Hot Rod Repair

13. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

Thanks Pete Your a Legend

26hotrod likes this.
  14. Hello All,

I asked this question awhile back; however, it was with another post, so it probably was missed.

In the May 1973 issue of Rod and Custom, Jake speaks of having a '55 Chevy low-rider...does anyone know of this car and / or does anyone have pictures of it?

Like most of you, I've followed his work ever since he was first introduced to readers in the late '60s.
    Any thoughts or pics would be great.

Thanks.
    Dave in James Dean, Indiana

26hotrod likes this.
  15. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Jake's '55 was a slammed, black, two door wagon, with 5 spoke Americans.

16. Now I would like to see a photo of the 55 wagon.....Thanks Pete

26hotrod likes this.
  17. XP4020225_JPG.jpg
    My favorite (other than the Niekamp roadster) of the Jake Mobiles.

18. FYI - I couldn't find the Chapouris thread, so I'll post here. The monthly Good Guys issue for April is going to have part of it dedicated to Pete Chapouris.

Also, Pete Eastwood - do you have pics of Jake's black '55 Chevy 2 dr. wagon? Just like 383deuce, I'd sure like to see any available pics. Thanks in advance.

Dave from James Dean, Indiana

26hotrod likes this.
  19. Great thread.

26hotrod likes this.
  20. jakes 29 p up.jpg
    I really like Jake's A truck, too!

21. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

20170122_161453.jpg Jake and Pete behind there old shop Temple City i believe that's Joe Eddy's tudor note Jakes license plate before Jake 34

22. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I believe that was my tudor

26hotrod, deucemac and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

20170122_161546.jpg Just another photo of the Famous Yellow Zonker

UNCLECHET, 26hotrod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Thanks everybody for your input and pictures about Jake. I hope to meet him one day.

Dave

26hotrod likes this.
  25. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

I talked to Jake earlier this week, he is looking for some pics of his '55. When I asked him about it he started to laugh.

26hotrod and bowie like this.
  26. I've been to Apple Valley a number of times in the past. Good ol' Roy Rogers, California!! I'd been by his home on the back side of the golf course not too many years after they'd built it. Then years later, it was so built up with additional homes I could hardly recognize the area.
    So, ROCKER77...I take it you also live in Apple Valley.

Dave

26hotrod likes this.
  27. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Yes sir a few blocks from Roy Roger's old house by the golf course.

26hotrod likes this.
  28. Good afternoon Everyone from Fairmount, Indiana, hometown of James Dean.
    Rocker77, any word from Jake on the pics of his '55 Chevy low rider?
    Many thanks.

Dave

26hotrod likes this.
  29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Looked to see if I had any, nope.... I do remember Jake buying a patina' d Blue 69 Camaro in 89-90? off of P-Wood, he redid all of the front suspension, it rolled on a very nice set of American 5 spokes, sat pretty damn nice, then it was gone to Illinois. I seem to remember Ken Kennedy (owner of Jake's Peekup)
    buying the Camaro as well.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    26hotrod likes this.
  30. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

I forgot to see if he found them. He said he has some though just has to locate them

26hotrod likes this.