Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Jim "Jake" Jacobs latest hot rod !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete Eastwood, Sep 18, 2022.

1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car is great, long live the 4 cylinder " BANGER " powered automobiles.

The particular element, of the unique discussion and debate, of Mechanical versus Hydraulic brakes, is a very informative discussion, to say the very least.

Not to drift off the topic, but there was a time in this country, when all of the finest machine shops, were all powered by a line drive and used belts and "hand operated mechanical clutches" to the over head line drive.

Wilson Machine Works here in Seattle, still has a overhead line drive with belts, that power a variety of machines in their shop.

"Everything old, is new again "

Thanks from Dennis, for posting and sharing information on this thread!

line drive machine shop.jpg

Outback, alfin32 and Hitchhiker like this.
  2. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I saw, a dozen years ago, in the most exclusive Santa Barbara area, the owner/builder built at first, a machine shop with an overhead power supply, to turn out various pieces for the various things he wanted in the build. The shop still stands along with the house among the multi-million dollar homes there.

seb fontana, Tman and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  3. Boatmark

Boatmark

Jake built a beautiful car. As seems to be his habit. He has always been one of those guys with a bit more vision than most to take the same parts we all have, yet build something more unique, clean, simple, and cool than the rest of us.

I’m guessing that with Jake’s experience he is well versed in the pros and cons of the available brake systems, and chose one that meets his needs.

Sad to think that a bunch of guys feel the need to ruin a thread with their dick measuring exercise over the right and wrong of someone else’s choices. If you like mechanicals, use them. If you don’t, then don’t. The end.

Did I mention this is a very cool car . . .

Packrat, Outback, dirt t and 13 others like this.
    Tman and Just Gary like this.
  5. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Thank You!

Packrat, Outback, UNCLECHET and 8 others like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nobody mentioned what year the car was built to represent, I'm guessing 1934 based on the age of the wheels. Tough to build a correct period clone, 1934 in this case with 1939 brakes. I like the looks of the car a lot. Bob

Packrat, Irish Mike and cactus1 like this.
  7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Jake's car has 1932 / 1934 brakes.

Packrat, Outback, dana barlow and 3 others like this.
  8. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

. . . . don't bring it up again!

9. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

I have followed Jakes builds from the days when he worked at R&C in the early 70s, and have absolutely admired every one of them. My impression is that he builds his hot rods to give himself a challenge, from chopping his '34 for the first time to building this A. The mechanical brakes are one of many challenges that he has put himself up to, and am certain that he has figured out how to make them work. As he has done countless times in the past. What a fantastic build!

Packrat, 26hotrod, Kiwi 4d and 5 others like this.
  10. A Boner

A Boner

Bump, just because it’s so slick!

11. That is one cool hot rod...been a fan of those guys since the California kid came along back in the 1970s...

Thanks for sharing

MikeC

26hotrod likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve driven 2 cars with mechanical brakes. My dads 29 wasn’t one of them but he told me how they worked and why he liked them and their adjustability. When I was a teen he acquired my great uncles 33. That’s the first one I drove. We jacked it up and he taught me more about angles and leverage than I ever learned in school. Fast forward 50 years and a good friend bought a restored 34 that didn’t stop worth a dam. I helped him jack it up and remove the wheels and immediately saw what was wrong. He and I got the angles correct and freed up everything and it stopped “on a dime” like old guys said and he drove until he passed on. He never complained about the braking.
    Everyone knows they work way better in a dry climate and needed maintenance.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When I was 15 (1957) I went to work for Red Mayfield ("The best damn garage in town!"-according to Most of the 'old guys' in Santa Clara, CA)
    One of the first things I learned was the angles (equidistance) of levers in the system. Red called it 'simple geometry', and it actually was. I became 'proficient' in their Maintenance and repair.
    I must add: @jimmy six had the same 'enlightening'.
    Older friend Al Mise bought a '35 Ford 5 window, mech. brakes, couldn't stop it. Relined fronts, did the adjustments, would bump your head on the windshield after.
    Al was the guy who taught me some 'advanced moves' playing Blues Harp... (great minds play blues)

14. Two of the guys (Eastwood and Jacobs) who are at the top of the mountain imho as far as building well thought out, esthetically pleasing and just plain bitchin’ examples of traditional cars get shoved aside by arguments on who’s on first (Abbott and Costello).

Thanks to Jake for building such a beautiful example of a old style hotrod roadster and to
    @Pete Eastwood for sharing it with those who will never reach that level. More, please.

15. KKrod

KKrod

Curious to see what steering gear Jake used. Stock? or modified?

16. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

17. Outstanding!

18. @Greg Stokes went to breakfast this morning with Jake ... and snapped a few photos:

Jake Jacobs - Banger Roadster - Nov 7th 2022 (by Greg Stokes) (1).jpg
    Jake Jacobs - Banger Roadster - Nov 7th 2022 (by Greg Stokes) (2).jpg
    Jake Jacobs - Banger Roadster - Nov 7th 2022 (by Greg Stokes) (3).jpg
    Jake Jacobs - Banger Roadster - Nov 7th 2022 (by Greg Stokes) (4).jpg

19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

A number of my friends came up in the car hobby through their dads and grandfathers surrounded by restored Model A's and T's. and they drove them everywhere. They would cruise hundreds of miles, but they knew their limitations and so no they did not blast down the Interstate at 80. Pete grew up under those same circumstances and I am sure Jim as well. But I also know that both of them can put a Model A body on a chassis that can out handle and out brake just about anything you can come up with. So, stop arguing about something that does not matter Jim built a time capsule and he knows its limitations. In that one picture he has a pretty big shit eating grin, so I don't think he is too worried about it lol. Larry

I would be more worried if Jim and his friend were going to breakfast in one of those Smart cars or Prius with a big dam ass battery in the trunk!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  20. A Boner

A Boner

Thanks for the pics. Never too many pics of Jake’s Hot Rods…especially the latest one!

micksmith likes this.
  21. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Excellent roadster. I really like the top as well. I wonder if the bows are reworked stockers or aftermarket?

22. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Jake created the top, he selected wood bows that were the dimensions he wanted & he built all the hardware.

Silva, Just Gary, UNCLECHET and 9 others like this.
  23. Perfuckinfection! I wouldnt change a thing! Love it! Jakes builds never disappoint eh!

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jake's hot rods seem to always have had an element of fun.
    Serious machines, for sure.
    Yet, not taking themselves too seriously.

His '34 with the truck grill.
    You knew that was built for fun the second you saw it. Kind of like California Kid's uncouth cousin. LOL
    His decoupaged phaeton.
    Lots of fun.
    And this roadster.

Kinda like the man himself, I think maybe. Intensely hot rod. But more often than not, with a smile.

Thanks, Jake... for all the serious fun over the years.

Packrat, Outback, UNCLECHET and 3 others like this.
  25. Nice.
    An A with an A grill.
    Looks like a lot of fun
    Mechanical brakes? I’m in
    Tall skinny tires? Yep sign me up
    Big grin driving

Just Gary, UNCLECHET and A Boner like this.
  26. I could look at it all day. Proportionally spot on!

27. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I'm new to this thread. All I can say is I think that car is perfect! It makes me want to go to California and drool on it! I'd buy Jake lunch if he'd take me for a ride in it!

28. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I agree, thanks for all the great cars and stories over the years Jake, even in far off Kansas!