Register now to get rid of these ads!

jicks 28/29 coupe project.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jick, May 27, 2008.

1. jick

jick
    from london

got offered a nice 1951 cadillac 331 motor and Hydra-matic so the flathead had to go!
    i have some really nice chrome 52 valve covers for it and a few other nice/shiney bits and bobs......including a couple of lengths of NOS ripple pipe for the new headers i have planned for it
    [​IMG]

2. jick

jick
    from london

altered my plans slightly for the roof...the original really roughly installed panel actually has a nice/correct looking profile so im in the process of trimming the rough edges and making it symetrical, then the plan is to weld some fittings to the underside to make it a removeable bolt in affair.....and either paint it to match the car or just skin it with the white pearl vinyl i have stashed away.
    [​IMG]

3. jick

jick
    from london

spent an nice afternoon working on my rough Impala steering wheel, now painted in a golden pearl.....as will be the rest of the interior.
    [​IMG]

4. jick

jick
    from london

made a pair of gutters too....still need a little massaging but they're nearly there..
    [​IMG]

5. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

NICE Man NICE, Did that lovely Cadi motor once live in an ''A'' Roadster, bloody nice steering wheel to Man!The body looks good and solid.

Nick.

6. jick

jick
    from london

also, mainly for the UK based dudes on here, but i've found a source for some nice black trinidad style carpet here in london.....shoot me a message if anyone's interested!

and finally!....got the VW all assembled...just waiting now for the engine builder to finish doing his thing.
    [​IMG]

thats all for now......

7. jick

jick
    from london

hey Nick...thanks dude....yeah...the body really isnt too bad at all....the worst part is the drivers side front 1/4 panel, but a have a nice original one to replace it with.
    i know the Cad came out of another rod...i got it from Jason who runs the NSRA memberships?

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

The coupe is coming along nicely.. It should be really cool when finished.. I like the pic of the "Big Ben" clock over your work shop.. Keep at it.....

9. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Diggin the 61' Impala wheel.... Just got done redoing one of those for my dads drop top impala

10. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Certainly does sound familiar.If my wife ever gets hold of him she'll kill him.Plenty of her house keeping money has ended up in his pocket over the years!LOL:D
    Great looking build mate,keep it coming!

11. Clarky

Clarky
    from England

Cool updates................I'm just taking delivery of a '30 Model A on Friday this week. It's a complete stocker but once I source a Flathead that will change :D

12. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Jick, The Bugs NICE Man!

Nick.

13. jick

jick
    from london

well i haven't had much time for too much car stuff over the last 6 months or so, but i've grabbed a couple of days here and there recently, and to give myself something nice to do ive decided to get my engine & trans painted & detailed in blue metalflake.
    i just started with a couple of bits yesterday as test pieces really.
    i'm really happy with the colour etc, so in Jan/Feb i'll get the rest done....
    [​IMG]

14. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

MMMM, Cadi motor in metalflake!Jick that motor looks fuckin' GREAT Man!I think Jason (nsra) got the motor from a Brumy chap that lived in Cornwall:confused:, as he(the Cornish brumy)had offered it to my Brother in law a couple of years back.The dick should have bought it, his loss is your gain!:D;)

Nick.

15. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

16. jick

jick
    from london

hey Nick...hope all's well dude!
    yeah! im stoked to have it! i have a cool intake on the way for it too,
    i just have to find the $$ for 4x more carbs to add to the pair of 97's i already have....
    i really cant wait to get it looking how i want it.
    how's your's coming along?

and thanks to you too Mopar Jack....man of few words eh!?

17. jick

jick
    from london

Well.... i've got quite a bit done since the new year....i'm holding off on painting the engine until it gets a little warmer, maybe in March.
    so far i've stretched my A chassis 7.5" in the rear so i can run my '40 rear end with the spring behind, i've also extended it 3.5" in the front to give the 331 Cad a bit of room.

I went to the local sheet-metal fabricators with some card templates for the boxing plates which they've made for me in 4mm and they only charged me £20 which i was pretty happy with!
    today i made a couple of 1" frenched tail-light buckets for my '58 chevy lights....i always wanted these lights but they kinda overpowered the rear end before....i'm much happier with them now.

and finally...i had a few short pieces of 1" tube, so kind of as an experiment i welded them together with the centre slightly V'd, bent up the ends, to see if the picture i had in my head would look ok for a nerf bar....needs a little more work but i think they'll come out ok....

enough words.....pics to follow...
    cheers...jick.

18. jick

jick
    from london

19. jick

jick
    from london

20. jick

jick
    from london

here's another one of the engine....waiting for some more 97's!
    [​IMG]

21. They look good! care to share a little more information on how you made them? Please?
    I'm thinking thinwall box section carefully cut down....

22. jick

jick
    from london

thanks dude...yeah, you've got it! thats exactly what i did.

i need to shape the front ends nicely and cut a strip of MDF to fit snugly inside them so when i bend them to shape at the rear end they dont crush.

23. Ha, thought so! I plan on making some for my Sedan. I just need to find some suitable materials.
    More pictures would be really helpful.

24. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Those taillights are the BEST Man!

Nick.

25. Hi from another Volkswagen-guy crossing the floor! Great car!
    Greetings to London!

[​IMG]

26. jick

jick
    from london

thank-you Mr Frankfurt.....oh man, i cant wait to just get mine on its wheels and in primer!

yours is really looking good dude!

jick

27. jick

jick
    from london

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371991919.526012.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371991939.142721.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371991969.309234.jpg

Finally some progress!!

Worked hard for the last couple of months to get it rolling for our yearly village classic car show..... The old boys from the Bentley Owners Club absolutely loved it and I even got an award for the most interesting vehicle.... The plan is to be driving it there next year!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just found this thread. Let's see some pics of how you got that motor stuffed in there.

Subscribed.