Register now to get rid of these ads!

History JFK,45years ago Nov22d,'63 what car and where were you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raceron1120, Nov 21, 2008.

1. customcory

customcory

My mom had us hiding under the kitchen table waiting for Cuba to attack, no shit! I was about 4 years old. There was a nice 59 Bel Air 2 door and a yellow and black 56 Chev wagon and a 49 plymouth in the driveway. The 56 had black knight lancers on it.:D

2. Was at Ft Ord CA working in the support maintenance shop cutting windows and windshields for deuce and a halves and 5 ton trucks. A proud "PFC" with 30 days left on that enlistment. My lead man came in and said word had just come down from Post HQ to return to the barracks immediately as the President had just been shot in Dallas, I replied, "Hey thats its not funny to joke about something like that", he said "Kid, I aint joking", then the phone rang again, He replied back, "Gert your ass back to the barracks, the Pres is dead!!" We didnt even put the tools and such away, we just shot straight back to the barracks and were issued M-1s with out ammo and went on guard duty immediately, in the rain.
    I had a 60 Impala 2dr HDTP with a 350 horse 348/4 speed and a 62 Impala 2dr HDTP SS 409/409/4spd.
    Will never forget those terrible black days in Americas history.

3. Flattop

Flattop

I, too, was in the sixth grade sitting in science class when the principal came on the intercom and announced the President had been shot. He then played the radio over the intercom for everyone to hear. You could have heard a pin drop that whole afternoon. We had a '59 Olds Delta 88 4-door that had tons of room.

Flattop

4. spooler41

spooler41

I was at work at Shelley's Tuneup on Rainier Av. & Dearborn Av. in Seattle. As I recall we heard the news just before lunch time. Shelley shut the shop down and sent the crew home. I was driving my 56 Chrysler 300 B ,a white one, with a tan interior, and a standard shift transmisson. many years after selling it, I discovered it was one 8 stick shift models produced.

...........Jack

5. George

George

My parents had a '60 Ford. I was 5 so...I can say I was in Ft walton Bch, close as I can get, have a fuzzy memory of the funeral procession.

6. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

My mom was in middle school then so that would tell you where I was.

7. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

We were out in my buddy AL's folks driveway spraying his 34 5 window red primer with a vacumn cleaner. His gram came running out , yelling "shut that off .the Presidents been shot. I can't hear the radio." We didn't. We needed to use it that night and the cops were looking for a black one. Long time ago but you do remember it. OB

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I was in Air Force, stationed at Ramey Air Force Base, Puerto Rico, Driving my 1950 Packard off base to get Beer, (CORONA in Green bottles!, yum.)because they had closed the NCO Club for a week.

Our B-52's were loaded for Bear(Ivan) and from then on we flew Chrome Dome around the clock for several years.

9. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Kennedys death---Now 2013, we didnt really know about Kennedy,s many trysts, etc, but still hearing the same and more questions about his death. I had bought a 32 pheaton body loaded full of fenders, grille, etc. all the stuff to put it together cept the running gear. Guess what happened to my deuce 2 dr [my avatar]. When I got out of the Navy, later sold the tub for big bucks-- [$1500, in '64] to this day don't know why, must'v had a major brain fart . Later to top that off got a letter from a guy from Michigan with Ford Motor Co. corporate letterhead, inquiring if my tub was for sale???? $$$$.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I got out of school in '63 . also I believe it is ... 50 yrs !

11. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

i was still in moms belly, for one more month! family car was a new 1964 chrysler new yorker, 4dr dark green as i remember from pictures

12. I was in the eight grade in a history class at McCant's Junior High School when our principal,"Frog" Reames announced over the public address system that the president had been assassinated.

Ironically enough the subject we were studying on that particular day was the assassination of Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theater. HRP

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Out of the Army and driving a delivery truck around Silicon Valley. Before they called it that. Found I couldn't make drops because everything had closed and people gone home. I did the same.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unassembled genetic starter kit. '51 Pontiac Chieftain and '63 Ford Falcon.

15. senior in high school, driving a '29 Model A cabriolet. It is almost ready to get back on the road again!
    [​IMG]
    …mostly as it was then, but with a lot better workmanship this time.

16. I was in my 18th Day of USAF basic training at Lackland AFB TX. marching somewhere when we were detoured to a concrete pad put at attention and advised that the president had been assisnated and we were now on high alert. I remember thinking that I had picked a fine time to join the military.

My car at home in San Diego was 1936 Ford 1/2 ton with a 48 Merc, 39 drivetrain and 40 brakes. Parents drove a Pink and black 55 Studebaker President and a 50 Hudson.

17. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

It's been 50 years since JFK assassination. Not 45 years

18. 48stude

48stude

This thread is five years old. I was in the eighth grade. I must have cut school that day for some reason. I was in a Western Auto in the sporting goods section when I heard it on the radio. I ran out to tell my mother as she was putting some groceries in the car., she started to cry. The car was a 61 Plymouth station wagon with a 361 Golden Commando. My Dad can tell some pretty big yarns about that car.:) Bill

19. frank spittle

frank spittle

I was 19 years old and helping a friend change motors in his '60 Impala in the garage behind his parents house. He was replacing the original 250 horse 348 engine with a high performance 348. We were about an hour or two from being finished and his mother came into the garage. She never did that because it was not a place a woman wanted to be in with the greasy dirt floor. I knew something was terribly wrong just looking at her troubled look. "President Kennedy has been shot" she told us. We immediately cleaned up the best we could and went into the house to watch television. I was there when the news broke he had died. I had never felt so down and out. We loved that guy. It was a few days before the 2 hours needed to finish the engine swap was completed. 50 years later I still feel the hurt. He inspired us the same way Reagan did 2 decades later.

My car at the time was a '54 Studebaker coupe with a 270 horse Corvette engine.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  20. toml24

toml24

I was in 3rd grade in Southern California. It was lunch time and I was in the milk line. When I got to the front of the line and offered my 5 cents to the milk girl she was crying big time, unable to speak. I kept asking her what was wrong and why was she crying but she was unable to respond. IIRC I just put my 5 cents on the table, took the milk myself, and walked away. It was a very surreal experience.

21. synchro7

synchro7

I was a junior in high school, in electronics class when the announcement came over the PA system. Not much got done after that. My car was a 54 Mercury 2drht, 312 replacing the 256, 3 on the tree.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Funny, my mom asked me about this yesterday. She'd forgotten what age I was. Well, I was 4 and we lived with my grandma's. All I remember was EVERYONE crying and some yelling too. My grandma had a '59 Belair.

23. 58cchevy

58cchevy

I was 21 at work and my avatar was my ride

24. aaggie

aaggie

I was in the Navy aboard the U.S.S. Argonaut SS-475 on a cruise in the Med Sea. We were playing cat and mouse games with the Russians during the Cold War. All US vessels were ordered to the nearest friendly port to await orders after the dust settled. When they finally realized it wasn't an act of war we resumed normal duty.

I was between cars at the time since you don't need one on a submarine but about a year later I bought a '57 Belaire 2DR HT. I paid $475 dollars for it at a used car lot in Providence, Rhode Island.

25. Deuces

Deuces

I was only 3 years old when it happened...
    I don't remember much other than my dad teaching how to ride a bike..

26. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

I had graduated in June of that year. Was working at the Chevron Station across from what is now The Early Ford Store (Ford car dealership back then) in San Dimas. Sheriff Deputy came over and told us what happened. Was driving my parents '54 Ford 4 door

27. I was three and didn't care. I remember people crying about something.

I do remember seeing the funeral procession on TV, and then seeing John Jr. saluting. I remember that probably because he was my age at the time.

Dad had a '58 Chevy Yeoman wagon then, bronze with bronze interior. Yes, I remember that car.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like many of you, I was just a little guy. 5 years old and in kindergarten. We only had 1/2 days then. I found out from my mother when I got home from school around lunch time. At such a young age, a child's brain hasn't yet developed much empathetic function...including mine. But I was quite aware and understood the gravity of what had happened. Never saw so many people so sad.

I believe my father was driving a kinda rough '49 or '50 greem Chevy Fleetline.

And then not long after, they killed his brother Bobby too. Fuckers.

29. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

I was 21 and living in MA. My car was a 1949 Chrysler Windsor Club Coupe with the outside sun visor.
    John

[​IMG]

30. I was in the 3 rd grade and it came over the school P.A. They sent us home .I got home and my mom had the t.v on and was crying. Mom was driving a used 56 chevy while dad had a brand new chevy 2 nova station wagon, 6 cylinder with a 3 speed trans. Dad didn't like spending a lot of money on cars.Bruce.