Register now to get rid of these ads!

History JFK,45years ago Nov22d,'63 what car and where were you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raceron1120, Nov 21, 2008.

1. :confused: Did the principal really say " Houston" ?????

2. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

wasn't born yet
    but jack ruby use to eat lunch at my grand parents drive in restaurant all the time in wichita falls Texas,

grandma said he was a very nice quite man
    I guess that whole thing must have pissed him off .

3. eye bone

eye bone

I was in third grade. First the school principal came on the intercom and said he had been shot! Then he came on about a half-hour later and said that he had died! And told us to go home, that school was over for the day! I don't even think it was lunchtime yet. So my brother who was in the sixth grade came and got my sister and me and we all walked home together. We weren’t allowed to go back for a week! I mean the school was shut down all that time. So my family sat there in our living room, glued to the TV that whole week! Saw it all… Lee Harvey getting shot everything… the coffin on the train and the horse drawn caisson… Tattooed permanently into my brain for life!

The family car was a 1960 four-door Plymouth wagon… I hated that car! That rear window gasket leaked carbon monoxide like a sieve! My Mom who drove it during the days hated it too! Traded it in for a 65 four-door Dodge Dart w/a slant six! Still had it when I learned to drive… drove the crap out of it ‘til I got my Anglia. All my dad ever did was have the head done, and he did a ton of break jobs on it! The parents had it into the 1970's… think it's still out there on the road! Slant Six's never die!

4. I was in the Navy, had just left the base on the way home for the weekend I was drivng my 53 buick hardtop. Came on the radio the mp's made us turn around and go back to the base.Their were 5 18 year old sailors in that car we were pretty shook up.

5. Castr8r

Castr8r
    Member Emeritus

I was in Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo., in Engineer A.I.T. Map Reading class. We were told the pres. had been shot, then a few minutes later, that he was dead. Needless to say, we went on alert, getting ready to go to Florida to beat back the Commie Cubans. That was the end of our training (we were nearly done) and after a few days departed to PCS with a Delay in Route. We had just recieved the new battle rifle, the M-14. We'd made fun of some officers shooting a Mattel- looking toy when we qualified with them- that was the M-16! I'd gone thru Basic with the M-1, so I saw all three basic rifles in two months at Ft. Lost-in-the-Wood. Sorry about the O/T rambling; you just started me on some old memories...

6. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I was 9 yrs old... mom had a 1957 Fairlane 500 , 2 door

7. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Kennedy requested it be removed so people could see him better, this was against the advise of the Secret Service.

If you want to read some very detailed info on the Lincoln go here -

http://www.in-broad-daylight.com/

8. thanks....I will ,Ive read alot of this before but cant get enough....Hope Joe Biden does'nt get any ideas......Ive seen a couple of prez limos over the years,some amazing metal work and 'strange" details when ya look real close....guess the SS learned from history;;; think this is where run flat tires came from

9. I was only 2 years old ... so I have no recollection of JFK's assassination ... but I was already "driving" the HEMI32 Coupe:

[​IMG]
    1963: "Cruising my (future) Elementary School" - Fremont, Ca

10. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I was 18 just out of high school, going to electronics school in Denver, Co. I was driving my 32 5W (still have it). I heard it on the radio on the way to the boarding where I lived then. It was a shocking day. It doesn't seem like 45 years ago.

Attached Files:

11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I was 21 years old working in the County Court House when an Attorney came in and said "I just heard the president has been shot, can you check it out?" I was driving a '31 roadster with a banger back then.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  12. Erik B

Erik B

I was in second grade and my pretty teacher in cat glasses was crying. Rather upsetting to see your teacher cry. I remember watching the funeral on TV with the riderless horse and the backward boots. Pretty surreal.

Mom drove a 62 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk and my dad had a 62 Mercedes 190 SL. I got the Stude and my older brother got the SL but never drove it. Still has it.

13. Fingers

Fingers

Me too, so I don't remember too much about it.
    BTW, Dad had a red '62 Ford Anglia 105E

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  14. Yes, I remember that! The car - now at the Henry Ford in Dearborn MI, is on display with the "bubble" in place (also see my earlier post for pic).

15. rlsteel

rlsteel

It was(and is) my birthday also. I was in the 3rd grade.I remember walking home from school and seeing it on tv. RLS

16. apound

apound

I was a month shy of 3 years old. Most likely driving a rusted Tonka dump truck. Man wish I still had that truck.

17. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

I too was in High School and in Art Class only I had a 58 Chevy Wagon.

18. metalman

metalman

Several years ago the subject of where were you the day JFK died came up, one of my best friends and hot rod cohort replied he was working at a phone company in Denver. When I said just came in from 2nd grade recess my friend had the wierdest look. Till then we never thought much about our age difference (20 years). From that day on "where where you" became a personal joke for us.
    It was quit surreal for a 7 year old, everyone crying, they sent us home from school, everyone was glued to the TV. It was my older brother's 16th birthday, rained on his parade. Oh yeah, we had a white 60 Dodge Matador and a 50 Chevy PU in the driveway that day.

19. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I was in turret two lower handling room ready to pass powder bags to the 8 inch guns above during a drill aboard the heavy cruiser USS Saint Paul. The Executive Officer anounced over the speakers that "The President had been shot and we are returning to port, this is not a drill" This cancelled our visit to Australia which would have been the highlight of my Navy years.

20. Da Flash

Da Flash

Yo Kids,
    I was home from college and working part time before the holiday in Buffalo, New York. My girlfriend and I had just returned from lunch, going in my black '57 Chevy hard top. The news was all over the building, (a newspaper comics printer), and folks were of course stunned by it all.
    A few days later on the day of the funeral, we were given the time off, and she and I spent the day in bed watching it all on B&W TV.
    Da Flash

21. wow flash you must be really old!!!!!!!!!:) any pics of your cars back then??

22. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I was in the back row of Mrs. Thomashaw's sixth grade class. The secretary came in and whispered in her ear; she turned ashen. One of the few things from that time I can remember perfectly after all these years.

My dad was a Ford dealer at the time, and his demo was a red Thunderbird Sports Roadster. Cool car. He sold it to a family we knew from church, and I saw it pretty often for years later.

23. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

I remember sitting in front of the TV watching the scene on the news over and over and over, I couldn't understand how someone could do that. I was only 6, my dad was so proud he had just bought a 61 caddy from his boss. (my brother totaled it years later)

24. ken1939

ken1939

I was 10 days old. Oddly enough I know we had a 1959 Chevrolet 4 door sedan. Small block, color red.

25. Paul B

Paul B

I was 12 family car 62 Pontiac Grand Prix and a58 Ford 2dr wagon

26. dbradley

dbradley

I was at work. They came in the lab and told everyone then told us to go home and be with family, they were closing the plant for the day. Oh, a '61 BelAir 2dr Hdtp.

27. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I wasn't born yet. My parents were hardly born.

28. racemad55

racemad55

I was 11 in the hospital getting my appendix removed!

29. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Wasn't born yet. Nevertheless, he was one of this country's greatest presidents. Knowing there are Americans like him, makes me proud to be an American as well.

30. Krylon King

Krylon King

I was 8 years old my Dad had a 52 Chevy 4 door. We heard it announced over the intercom in school. A sad day indeed.