Register now to get rid of these ads!

History JFK,45years ago Nov22d,'63 what car and where were you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raceron1120, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Saturday will be 45 years (WOW!!!) since that day every American alive remembers in Dallas TX when JFK was assasinated. It was Friday, I was in 6th grade and returning from our class' week long stay at camp. The bus ride back from camp was about 1 1/2 hours long and when we got to the school Walter Cronkite was on the PA telling about JFK. Mom was sitting in the parking lot in our black '60 Ford, she talked about it all the way home. The Ford didn't have a radio so we had to wait to get home to see and hear more on TV. What to you remember from that day? And what car or truck(s) do you remember having then?

2. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I was in 3rd grade, my dad had a black and white 56 chevy and I was already driving it whenever he would let me. We lived on a ranch so I had lots of opportunitys.

3. 52lomofo

52lomofo

was in my mommy's belly lol:)

4. 41hemi

41hemi

I was in 4th grade. We had already gotten on the bus to go home and the nun that was principal came out to the bus and walked up into it and told us that the president had been shot and that he was wounded badly. She at that point led us in prayers right there on the bus for him. When I got home my mother had Walter Cronkite on the TV and as they say the rest is history. We had 1 car back then and it was a 1956 Dodge Royal 4 door with a flat six and three on the tree in it.

5. Plumber 1

Plumber 1

I was in 6th grade. We were waiting in the school bus to go home. A teacher told us that the President had been shot. By the time I got home, the news was that he had died. Believe it or not, Nov. 22 is my birthday. I'll never forget that one.
    Plumber 1

6. I was in High School...in Art Class...Driving a 53 Chrysler Windsor...I was "Cool" kuz I had a car...otherwise just a nerd!
    A sad day for sure....

7. November 22 is my birthday too...but I was born five years after his death.

8. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

I was living in Bellflower California and racing sprint cars

"Doc" Parsons

9. barney rubble

barney rubble

I was in the 3rd grade and we never had any cool cars so I have no memory of what we had.:(:(:(

My wife was born on the 22nd in 56.

10. I was working at the Prudential Ins. Co. in Newark, NJ and driving a red '60 fuelie, 4-speed Vette with chrome reverse wheels and both tops.
    A buddy had a new VW, and 3 of us drove it to DC for the funeral. We were right outside the Capital building when his casket was carried down the steps...not 50 feet from it. I can remember it like it was yesterday.

11. Second grade Catholic school, nuns were pretty tore up about it. It was all kind of surreal to a 7 year old.........

we had a 56 Ford wagon and a 49 Chevy truck. My sister used to take me to school in her 57 Ford Fairlane.

12. GlenC

GlenC

We felt it all the way over on the other side of the planet.

I was in high school we were playing tennis on our sports day when someone came to the courts and told us. People were crying and everything.

Our family car was a 38 Willys sedan, and I'd just 'discovered' hot rodding.

Cheers, Glen.

13. Was at work less than 1/4 mile from where it took place..(Custom Automotive a speed shop)from the moment it came on the news,not another customer all day.You could hear all the sirens and comotion from our store....Seemed like Dallas just stood still.no traffic,no one on the streets...I guess every one was glued to the T V like we were.
    was also at the store the morning Lee Harvey was shot in the basement of the police sta..same sirens and noises,,

14. 51chevytruck

51chevytruck

Still baking, born 1 mo later.

15. crowerglide

crowerglide
    from Tyler, TX

I was in the 8th grade in Spanish class, listening to AM rock 'n' roll on one of those micro Zenith transistor radios when the news came across. I told the teacher and then the principal, and he announced it over the PA. I think I was the first one at school who knew about it.
    That was just a few months before I got my first car, a '55 Chrysler Windsor (poly). We could get a d.l. at age 14, or a "hardship d.l." at 12 in Texas at that time.

16. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

17. Was in the 11th grade, Saunder Trade & Tech HS, in Yonkers, NY, was just looking at cars to buy, got a 60 Chevy 2DR SD, 283 , 3 speed, a few months later. Have another 60 now , without an engine.

18. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

3rd Grade. They made an announcement on the PA, and I remember thinking that I didn't know what a President was. We didn't own a TV or a car. I remember the LIFE magazines though.

After the assasination we stopped having nuclear attack drills. So I always associate the end of the nuclear threat with the death of Kennedy.

19. Ice man

Ice man

I was at work, Pennsylvania Drilling Co. in the mechanic shop. We heard a report and one of the trucks in the shop had a radio, we all crowded around listening and not believeing. My daily was a 30 Ford coupe, all stock except for hydraulics, got them for free at a local wrecking yard. Was that really 45 yrs ago, Nnaaaaa. Ice man

20. I was in the USAF stationed at McGuire AFB in NJ and a buddy of mine and I was in his '61 Dodge heading to his house and we were on the Burlington/Bristol bridge when it came over the radio ... Just one of those things where ya remember the exact moment for the rest of your life. Just like 9/11.

21. ! was in the 8th grade in history class when it was announced over the Public address system by our principle " Frog " Reames,,,for such a gruff old character his voice was very soft that day.

Dad had a 56 chevy sedan delivery and mom had a 62 Ford Galaxie 500. HRP

22. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was in 11th grade. I had just been kicked out of the school library for having "too much fun" and been sent to a study hall. I had just taken my seat, when the announcement came over the PA system.

After school, I hitch-hiked to my part time job slinging tires at Western Auto. I recall everyone just standing around like zombies, talking in low voices and listening to the radio, women & men with tears in their eyes. We, of course, didn't know it at the time, but it was to be the beginning of a very long, tumultuous time in our history.

Funny how one can remember such vivid details from so long ago.

23. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

I was only 5 weeks and one day old when it happened. So all I was doing was eating, sleeping and filling diapers...

24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep, remember it well. The base cammander closed the club. Who says military leaders are not to be political? Had to drive my 1950 Packard straight eight outside the base in Puerto Rico to get a beer.

That Packard would really go once you got it rolling.

25. Offy

Offy

I was in high school and driving a '51 Plymouth Cranbrook. President Kennedy was in Tampa just before Dallas and we were let out early to see him. He passed by a few feet from me outside of Al Lopez Field where the current Buc's stadium is now built.

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I was in 4th grade, remember being sent to the gym (one of those that had a stage with maroon velvet curtains along one side, and stands opposite, remember those?) and watching the news on a black and white TV on a tall stand. We kids weren't to sure what it meant, but the teachers were all upset. Of course, most of us were more interested in the teachers reactions, after all, we didn't really think they had feelings.

My folks had a '60 Pontiac Catalina and a '60 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4.

27. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Well, I guess i am not as old as i feel...I was in school... kindergarden !
    I remember the announcement, everybody crying, walking home, my parents glued to the tv...
    The family car was a 49 ford woodie !
    Still see it around the old hometown..
    Dave

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

8th grade history class at Dana Jr. High in Arcadia, CA....it was the first time that my life had been impacted by something other than a family related issue...

29. :( I was at school, Charter Oak High School, Covina, Ca., 10th grade English class, the teacher came into class crying, she told us that J.F.K. had been shot, the rest of the school day was spent listening to the radio over the P.A. system. Teachers and students were in shock and in tears, a very black day and one I'll never forget!

As I was only 15, I didn't yet have a car. Family cars were a Red 1961 Ford Fairlane and a green 1955 ( 2nd series ) Chevy 1/2 ton pick up.

30. Abone29

Abone29

I was out on the playground at school in the 5th grade.As soon as the news came across the radio they brought us inside and called the buses and sent us home.My Dad had a Red 63 Buick Wildcat.I really loved that car,it was sharp and would haul ass.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008