Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jerry's 32 3 Window / Hemi Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jul 13, 2011.

1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Got the cross channels fitted and welded in to the subrails..everything is nice is strong. Made these out of 16 guage. Going to put another one in the trunk where the side body braces come down along the sides of the quarters....but want to wait until the body is dropped down so I get it in the right place.

Going to drop the body on this weekend...hopefully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. farmer12

farmer12

Nice welding on the chassis!

3. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Couldnt wait till this weekend..ha....had an hour tonight and dropped her on for size..not too bad. Nothing like wrestling a body on a chassis by yourself!! The subrails that I made look like they are going to tie into the rockers nicely. Going to drop the chassis down tomorrow to ride hight to see how she looks. Need to make lower wheel well pieces too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

lookin' good jerry ! you sure are moving right along ,on the road any day !!

5. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Thanks Red...shooting for Jalopy Showdown..we'll see..long way to go

6. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

Looks amazing! Great work Jerry! :)

7. slepe67

slepe67

Holy crap! Dude, wanna make me some subrails? HAHAHA Honestly, youre doing an incredible job!

I think its time for me to buy a shrinker....

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Got some more done this afternoon. I took the pumpkin and axles out of another rear and put it into my housing. Nothing quite like 60 year old gear oil all over the floor. After cleaning my mess up I reinstalled the hubs on my front end, robbed the wheels and tires off my Model A and put them on the 32. I'm going to use the same size tires so using the ones from my A will really help me get the stance dialed in.

The back is up a little higher than I want so Im going to remove another leaf. If that does't do it for me I'm going to reverse the eyes on the main leaf.

Going to have to figure something out for filling the sides of the grill shell from the previous heavy channel. If it was painted steel it would be a no brainer..but since it's chrome plated I might have to make a filler piece out of polished stainless and maybe epoxy it on from the back side. Not sure yet...I'll get something figured out.

Waiting for Brookville to have some more of those panels under the decklid stamped. They apparantely do not make them themselves and farm that particular panel out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

Isn't it sweet to get that body on the frame for the first time? And, you spilled the ritual liquid on the new garage floor. It had to be done. Interesting dilemma concerning the grill. Other than grafting a piece, as you mentioned, you might come up with something to mask it, like a louvered skirt running from the grill to the firewall to serve as an enclosure for the gas lines and/or wiring. I know you'll pull it off, whatever way. Lookin' good!

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Dammit Jerry, slow down!! hahaha, looks great man!

11. redzula

redzula

is there a reason you dont weld it and then body work the area (obviously without filler) and then have it chromed? but then again thats'd be a lot of work.

12. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I wouldn't mind doing the work..and I could do it...but it's old chrome from the late 50's that I want to preserve

13. redzula

redzula

O I see the wire coverpanel idea would be good then I think. Good luck

14. Koz

Koz

I'd metalwork the side pieces in on the sides of the shell and then use some spray chrome to paint just the bottom area and fog it in. It'd just look like it discolored a little. Give me a shout with how high the missing piece is. I have the pieces I cut out of my shell when I chopped it. They might work. Actually I have some spray chrome left over too.

15. Clark

Clark

OR....you could just chanel the car again! :)
    Clark

16. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

sweet! i got to top by and check it out!

17. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

It is..just not as hard as before..the mounting tabs on the cowl were raised as well as a few other things. Haven't shown everything ;)

18. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Amazing work Jerry.

19. Rem

Rem

Great build-up, and thanks for all the photos.

20. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Some more pics from this past week. The bottom of the firewall is now repaired with new feet. The body is squared on the frame and subrails and the doors are hung. Everything seems to be fitting good. At the bottom of the jambs..the lower parts of the braces were torched out back in the day and it looks like they set the bottom of the wood on fire..it was mostly gone. New metal now put in on the bottom and things are nice and strong.

Motor and tranny are next and reversing the main leaf in the back to get her down some more

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  21. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Nice job, looking good.

22. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

U R my Idol!!!!!

23. gear27

gear27

Bad ass 3 window you have can't wait to see this one finished!!

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

SWEET!!! I'm hanging on every update. This one will be a winner when it's done.:cool::)

Frank

25. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I like this post.

Ago

26. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Motor and trans in and steering box mounted. I'm going to graft the top of a 40 ford steering bell onto my pickup column sleeve and make lower firewall recess next. I'm planning on using the flanges on the headers in the pics. Going to cut the tubes off and make my own going down to half a 36 driveshaft canting out under each framerail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  27. Looking good!!!

28. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Looks like another winner!!!!!

30. patman

patman

Hey waitaminnit...you went from 'body's on the chassis' to 'engine is in' with one update?

No way that was a bolt-on operation...we wanna see in-progress pix!!! Cutting! Welding! Trial-and-error! Blood, sweat, and tears! Yer holdin' out on us...