Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jerry's 32 3 Window / Hemi Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jul 13, 2011.

1. fleetside66

fleetside66

Phew! I'm exhausted after hearing about all of that hard work. Really, you're moving on at your usual blistering pace. This car is going to be the best. Your pile of parts are unusual..I can't wait to see it come together. When it's done, maybe you should name it "Madame Wonder."

2. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

They might actually go back in.....we'll see ;) I've been beating myself up about it the past month...I'm not a fan of changing history. If I put em back in then I'm going to seal up the cowl vent again. I just dont know what I want to do.

3. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

OK now is Jerry doin all that work,OR is the girl is his new avatar doin it --HMMMMM:eek:
    You know I'm kidding,Jerry,you do top notch work,and I can testify to that!

4. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

i'm with gary t ,nice helper there jerry !! i know why you need the dual vents, cause she's hot !! keep up the hard work that what winter is for !

5. I'd like to see you put them back in as well, just something that ties back to it's former "glory" days. The other things you're doing are more like cleaning up workmanship issues. Love what you're doing either way though.

6. jerseymike

jerseymike

hey jerry, think putting the vents back is the right move. i tried talking you out of removing them in the beginning. there different, look cool and no matter how nice a car you can build, you can't build history! take another look at that profile shot of the car sticking out of your old garage with the side vents and picture that big hemi sitting in front of it. perfect together!

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Today I spent the afternoon in the shop working on the motor. We made a generator bracket and put on the pulleys and starter. I need a couple of things from Hot Heads..but should have the motor ready to fire in about a week or so..i'll post a video.

Koz here on the HAMB is a master chassis man and is going to give me a hand getting the frame back in shape. After closer review the frame is tweaked out of square pretty bad...nothing that can't be fixed but I'm surprised between the original rear suspension and frame problems that someone didn't have a bad accident. Koz has a nice chassis fabbing set up at his shop....i'm anticipating some late nights at his shop with him coming up shortly.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Jerry, those are some really nice boxing plates. :D Im glad you like them! Im looking forward to seeing you get the plates welded in and the rest of the chassis put together.

Keep up the updates, your doing a fantastic job!

9. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Some more progress on the motor. The original bolt spacing the Edmunds intake was for an odd early Carter Mopar carb with an unusual 4 bolt pattern. Fabbed up some adapters out of some aluminum plate to go from the mopar 4 bolt on the intake to a 3 bolt Stromberg pattern. We're going to fire the motor and break it in running just two carbs. Afterwards I'm going to put on two Y adapters I got from from Matt at www.lakeheaders.com with 4 chrome strombergs. Threw the Y adapters on for a quick pic and some inspiration.

Also mounted the generator and belt on the home made bracket off of the water pump.

The blue flex fan is getting swapped out for an old chevy one when I get it cleaned up and painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It looks crazy as hell with the 4-carb setup (in a good way) . I can't wait to hear it run . It's gonna try to twist the shit out of the deuce - good thing the frame's gonna be all boxed-up . You might get habitual offender status with this ride , lol !!

Now tell Eli to get on with running-in that BEAST !!!!

12. titus

titus

To me if you wanted 4 carbs you shoulda ran a 4 carb intake, but thats my opinion, the edmunds intake is a bitchen peice, made for 2 carbs, if it were me id hunt down the correct carbs for the intake. i just think it detracts from the coolness of the intake. but again thats just my opinion, its your car and because of that you do what your gonna do!

The car is looking good.

jeff

13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Hi Jeff,
    I appreciate your comments. The problem I had was that I wanted to use that Edmunds intake. It's an oldie from the early 50's...and Edmunds didn't make one with 4 carbs for a Hemi. Later Weiand and Crager did though.

I was going to go with the original style carbs on the intake but I was afraid two carbs wouldnt have been enough for the big cam that I have in the motor when I really stepped on it. This car is for driving and going fast.

So I asked myself what would they have done in the late 50's for this. Ansen made Y adapters that were commonly used on hopped up motors to get more fuel into the engine when the RPM's were up. So I figured I would go with something like that. I'd rather use the Edmunds intake and do what they would have done back in the day to increase performance..then swap it out for a later intake with four 2's.

BTW..nice save on that dash of yours

14. Koz

Koz

My dumbass opinion...... I've seen the car and it looks perfect with the stock cowl setup. The car has history, but it's not like it's Doane Spencers roadster or something. It's your car now. Run the four twos and leave the cowl vents on the pile. Not my favorite mod anyways.

Besides, This might be the first time you can actually trim me on the street, (maybe!).

Can't wait to hear that Hemi run some gears!

15. titus

titus

I totally hear ya! I surely wouldnt want to lean out a expensive motor either!

I have the same edmunds intake and covers you do, my intake was redrilled for the rochestor 2bbl pattern and i just stuck some carter WW backdrafts on it for the time being but plan on rounding up the original carbs, and i have a bone stock 331 im gonna put it on. You forgot the horne 4x2 intake too:)

Thanks for the compliment on the dash, it was a fun project.

I remember when i saw your 3 window in the class adds, it looked like it had a ton of potential, glad your bringing that out in it.

jeff

Attached Files:

16. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

i agree!!!!

17. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Doors are bodyworked...I'm going to shoot a coat of primer on them tonight then start blocking them down. They each took a very thin skim coat on the skins...not as bad as it looks.

This afternoon I started doing some bodywork on the dash and should have that ready for primer too.
    [​IMG]

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cooking with gas for sure man!!! Geesh am I the only one that takes a normal amount of time to build a car? Seems like you all are flying through these builds lately. Haha!!!

Looking good!

19. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Hurry up Jerry----maybe I'll buy it and start a Laboranti collection Ha Ha:D

20. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Really like the build, keep it up....

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Tonight I louvered the decklid. I hate doing decklid skins..I think they're the hardest thing to louver...but it came out really nice. I tricked my wife into coming into the garage for something and had her help me for the next hour or so with the punching. She's a good sport!

First I separated the skin from the inner panel. Sometime over the the course of the past 50 years someone welded the original hinge brackets to the skin then leaded over the outside. Had to clean that mess up before I could get the skin off. It's dumb stuff like that which can kill an hour of shop time easily. I have a bunch of work I'm going to do on the inner part before rejoining it with the skin.

Separated....finally

[​IMG]

Inside of the skin cleaned up for layout. I usually like to tack on two pieces of angle from corner to corner to stiffin up the skin for punching. This really helps because the skin is really flimsy without the inner structure.

[​IMG]

Layout

[​IMG]

Punched. I later went back and added a few more to the center row making each row even.

[​IMG]

161 Holes..one at a time.... I layed the skin on the body to check it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

23. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Ahhhhhhhhhhh........Great job, as usual, Jerry.........that looks VERY familiar!!!

CB

24. Wow, what a project! Sweeeeet.

25. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Jerry, Great build as always and good score on the coupe, I'll be watching this thread.....Jack

26. brady1929

brady1929

i love louvered deck lids. yours looks awesome

27. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I forgot that a couple of years ago I got a hacked up 32 inner structure that I had stashed in the attic. I pulled it down and saw that the latch was still in it. With a little heat the retaining screws came out and I was able to pull it free without much effort. I needed a latch and now have a nice working original one.

I'm going to be using pieces of this inner skin structure to fix some bad areas on mine. This will save some fabbing work on one of the flared hole on mine that is cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  28. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Had a little time tonight so I snuck out to the garage and decided to start repairing inner decklid. Repaired an ugly section.

Hogged out hole and body line

[​IMG]

Donor section

[​IMG]

crap cut out
    [​IMG]

donor piece cut out and fitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welded in

[​IMG]

29. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Lots of talent Jerry! Thanks for sharing. Gives me inspiration for trying to develop needed metal working skills on my Merc projects.