Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Jegs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 325w, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Made an order with them this morning. Later I realized I had made a mistake. Ordered on line but decided to call to try to fix it. Talked to Jeff. After spending a bout 25 minutes he had it all fixed for me. Customer service I'd say.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to hear, now that Summit is slipping.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Both have been good to me.

Mike

FlyFisher likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you tried to return a part, or parts that you were not satisfied with the quality of?

I just did, and got told no.

5. 5window

5window

There must be more to that story. Summit's got a pretty broad policy for returns:
    Return Policy

[​IMG]

We back up every sale with our Handshake Guarantee:

"If you're not satisfied with our products or our service, we'll refund your money. Just return any new or unused part within 90 days and we'll refund the purchase price."

Notes

• You do not need to contact us before returning an unused product.
    • Wheels and tires cannot be returned once they have been mounted.
    • If your order included any "special offer" or "free parts", they must also be returned or the value may be deducted from your refund.
    • All returns are subject to inspection.
      • Returned items will be inspected within 7 business days.
      • In some cases, the manufacturer will need to inspect the item. This may require additional time.
    • We will not accept any product that appears to have been used, unless there is a valid warranty issue.
    • Any part that, in our opinion, was used, installed, handled, packaged, or shipped improperly by the customer will not be eligible for exchange, refund, or warranty.
      • Please return items (especially wheels) in their original packaging to prevent damage during shipping.
    • Parts returned more than 90 days from the purchase date will be subject to a Restocking Fee.
    • Custom ordered parts may not be returned.
    • Hazardous materials may not be returned.
    • Videos, software, and copyrighted material may not be returned for a refund once they are opened.
    **If you have any further questions or concerns, please Contact Us.**

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have returned several thing , (Summit) with No issues, but if I do I go right up chain ,
    Had a problem with Jegs a few mouths ago , So I went to Jeg to solve problem,
    Its hit or miss with customers service, Speedway ,Summit ,Jegs ,Bob drake
    I will just call back & talk with someone else

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, I did not find out just how poor the quality was, until I installed the parts. Once that is done you cannot return them.

One AN fuel fitting snapped in two when I was rolling out hose, under no load. Another blew apart when I pressurized (all of 30psi) the system to check for leaks.

I can get the two covered under warranty, but I do no want ANY of the rest of those fittings on my car. They won't take those back, well, of course, unless they fail (and possibly burn my car to the ground).

If they are okay with losing a 32-year customer, over about $100 in parts, I can go elsewhere.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

none are perfect, and there will be glitches -but, over all these companies know that there is too much competition out there to not step up - plus, social media can spread bad/good experiences very quickly

mad mikey likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I have already spent enough time, that if billed at my standard client bill rate, that I have more than lost the value of this purchase, and that of new, better replacement fittings.

It is not my job to ensure that their customer service is outstanding. I only do that for my team, and if you think that I am going to let you keep your job over holding back a $100 customer return, you are sadly mistaken.

Truck64 and Just Gary like this.
  10. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Somting is going on with AN fitting , Just a few mouths ago I had severe that where poor quality, like a metric size , 6s where not 6 same thing wit 8s 10s , the ones I had where Black in color ,AN wrenches would not Fit Hose same thing

11. robracer1

robracer1

Got a Stewart Warner wings gauge set, speedo stopped at 67 miles, called Summit sent new speedo, well this one needle jumped at all speeds and mileage split numbers, called Summit sent new speedo, this one got to 2000 miles and mileage stopped, this went on for 6 mounts or longer so I called Summit and told them I would like to sent this Mexico made junk gauge set back and get a different brand gauge, they said ok no problem, got full credit and ordered classic instrument gauge set. I have never had a problem with Summit great customer service.

Blue One likes this.
  12. bchctybob

bchctybob

Had to send back a couple of Summit items in the last year, expected the worst but was pleasantly surprized - no problem.
    Robracer1, I had SW Wings gauges in my roadster, the tach lasted 6 months and the fuel gauge crapped out soon after. What a shame, great looking gauges from a fine old name but it seems the quality has plummeted in recent years.

robracer1 likes this.
  13. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have had to return a few things to Jeg's, never had a problem.
    Of course when you walk thru the door with the paper work and the part in hand, and the counter person has seen you more than a few times it usually goes smoothly!
    KK

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Have I returned parts, yes (twice). They were very nice about it. We did a swap both times, no problems.
    No problem from Summit.
    Never returned anything to Jegs or Speedway.

Mike

15. mike bowling

mike bowling

I've never had trouble with Jeg's or Summit, but TCI in Cally gave me a good beating- I bought a swing pedal assembly from them for over 400 bucks, paid 50 more for shipping and I couldn't fit it in the car ( Model A coupe). Called them and said I was returning it, unused, in the original box and packing. I asked if they were going to hit me with the 10% restocking fee it mentioned in the return paperwork, and the guy said "If it's in good shape, I'll see what I can do".
    Went to the Post Office, and it only cost $35. bucks to ship back, and when I got the refund check they had charged the return fee ( the part was in perfect condition).
    So I got screwed 15 bucks on the initial shipping quote, 35 bucks to send it back, and around 40 bucks for "restocking".
    Their catalog went right in the trash. $90. out the window.
    I later found a speed shop in Washington State that had the exact same assembly for $375. SHIPPED!
    It pays to shop around, Kids.

16. As one who deals with all those companies a lot, part of the problem is the shitty customers that they have to deal with. We have had headers returned that were bought from these companies, only to have the used headers they took off the car put in our box, or a cheaper brand returned as ours. Just yesterday we got stock manifolds back in one of our header boxes. Stock distributors in a PerTronix box. Used parts that the customer replaced with a nice new shiny part and sent back the old one. It is amazing what we get back, the crap that people try to pull. I imagine if there wasn't so much of this, they would be more pleasant to deal with. So Many People SUCK! ;)
    Just the other side of the fence to think about.

AHotRod, wbrw32, Hnstray and 6 others like this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The "AN" nomenclature stands for "Army Navy", military specification. Are these made by a recognized aircraft supplier? Prolly not huh.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty sure, in this case, it stood for "Absolutely Not".

Hnstray and Truck64 like this.
  19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

So instead of selling aerospace quality fittings they sell cheap shit? What were they thinking?

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

6-bangertim, RICH B and Truck64 like this.
  21. RMONTY

RMONTY

Aint hot roddin' considered aerospace quality workmanship? It oughtta be if not.....

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have settled for autospace quality.

Hnstray and Truck64 like this.
  23. 5window

5window

Thanks for the rational explanation of your issues. It is much easier to understand your frustration. Best of luck.

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Used to work for Advance Auto parts part time. People would try all kinds of stuff when it came to core returns. One guy put a brick in the box on a starter core. I told him ,not only was he not getting his core charge back. He could wait around for the cops to get there or leave and never come back.
    we never saw him again. People would steal stuff from one Advance and try and return it to another store.
    Caught a guy trying to walk out with a perfomer intake under his coat.
    People suck. that's why I quit.

cosmo, AHotRod and shawnsauto1 like this.
  25. bchctybob

bchctybob

Pretty disturbing that a fitting designated AN would fail like that, and I would be surprised if Jegs didn't jump on that if they knew about it. I'm sure their fittings are used for racing applications all the time, that could cause some serious liability problems. I'm sure that their fittings aren't up to Std MIL Specs though, they'd cost a bunch more if they were.
    Hotroddon, I totally agree. When I worked at Hedman years ago people tried to return all kinds of crap. The worst was when we sold to Sears, they would warranty anything and expect us to make good on it.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, Summit will allow me to warranty the two that failed (their house brand), but won't take back all of the other ones that I have on the car. I am not comfortable keeping them. It is not worth risking my, and my passenger's lives, and the whole car, over a few fittings.

The thing is, I will be replacing these fittings. Now it just won't be from Summit. I will buy elsewhere.

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

I wonder if similar fittings from Earl's or Aeroquip are OK or if they are all outsourcing them to the same outfit and therefore have the same quality problems.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I am replacing mine with ones from Earls, as they have served me well in the past.

We shall see.

29. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have been dealing with both Summit and Jegs for years. I call them with a problem, they fix it.
    I bought a car puzzle for Christmas present. It was missing a piece. Called Summit , they shipped a new one out that day and didn't even have to return the old one. I have had similar experience with Jegs . I guess it's how you talk to them when you call or if you don't get the answer you want ask for a supervisor. They have more lee way in approving transactions.

30. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Both have also been good to me. I've had returns with both Jegs and Summit with no problems.