Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jeff Smith's Redemption...tech info!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I know you love to hate Car Craft, and it figures that just when I cancel my sub, ol'Jeff Smith struts up to the plate and hits one out of the park!

No, the January 2004 issue (red Chevy II on the cover) doesn't contain a wealth of traditional hot rodding coverage per se, but it does supply a few tech articles which will be of interest to some of you, since the questions come up here more than once in a while!

First, there is an article on adjusting the TV cable (throttle valves) or GM overdrive auto trannys. It gives you a basic idea of what the valve does and how to set it at...as well as introducing the reader to a trick new product that allows you to tailor the RATE at which the TV goes from idle to it's WOT position...very slick! It's an adjustable cam type of deal that allows you to set your pressure at idle, and get maximum pressure at full throttle, but it let's you change the RATE at which it travels through it's cycle, allowing you to modify your tranny's behavior to some degree.

The product is from Bow Tie Overdrive:

www.bowtieoverdrives.com

Next up, is a basic overview of automotive electrical systems. Nothing too in-depth, but a good read for...let's say a younger rodder just learning about automotive electrical systems and components!!!

We also have an article on adjustable pushrods, an oil pan story and a few cool feature cars.

Additionally, there is a host of 10,11 and 12 second street/strip cars with spec sheets showing what engines, trannys, rear gears and internals they used to get their rides down the track. Good stuff for guys who like to pour over engine combos...cam specs are given along with other basic info.

Last but not least, a 400hp 318 Mopar engine build-up using bolt-on parts and ordinary machine work.

Probably one of the best issues in a long time...just in case you need to update your outhouse library or anything!!!

Gone are the days of old when Jeff Smith brought us nothing but 66 Chevelle feature cars!

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yeah, I keep a copy next to the toilet too,

but it aint for readin'.

I can't seem to get into it like when that sandal wearin' fried hamberger dude was there.

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

sorry hackman, I didn't mean to kill your post [​IMG]

I like my Juxtapoz though, and there is NO tech in it [​IMG]

Paul

4. Too bad Car Craft didn't include the whole Von Dutch interview in their 50th anniversary collectors issue. [ QUOTE ]
    I like my Juxtapoz though, and there is NO tech in it

[/ QUOTE ] Kind of like alot of the mags put out by Peterson/Emap/Primemedia/Whatevertheirnameisthisweek.

5. Scotch

Scotch

Y'know...after lambasting the KKOA and KOA rags for not being professional, it's kinda sad you gotta rip on the professionally-written mags that are out there...Granted, you're not gonna see "HAMB"-flavored custom/rod goodies on every page, but they're not written for any one person. You gotta know lots of those writer-type guys do their own thing outside of work, right? You gotta know some of 'em hang out here too, don't ya? I think they do a good job of covering whats out there, both new and old. Sure, it's mainstream rodding, but that's their job. Not all magazines suck, and not all magazine writer/photographers suck. They are working on cool car stuff 24/7, as the job becomes more of a lifestyle than most. They get to work with the best people and parts from yesterday and today, and most of the time the info is right on, accurate, timely, and well-written. Be thankful we've got a wide selection of cool mags to read...it wasn't always so.

I've been the Tech Editor at Popular Hot Rodding for the last 7 years...so I know a little about it. You probably won't see the buildup of my personal '50 Buick custom on the pages, though. (The hot rodded Straight 8 may make a showing, however...).

Scotch~!

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Popular Hotrodding TV is the one with Cam & Dean isn't it?

that's one show I try to see when it's on,

and the magazine is usualy good too,

I haven't bought one in a while though,

it's just most mainstream magazines don't do it for me anymore.

Car Craft is the ONLY magazine I still maintain a subscription to.

I always want MORE.

Paul

7. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't seem to get into it like when that sandal wearin' fried hamberger dude was there.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I loved that guy! He did more to warp my car mind than anything. I liked his "youdonthavetobearichguytogofast" attitude!

TDC

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scotch. It finally dawned on me who the hell you are...

You have every right to defend your rag. Damn good low dollar tech. All around good book. For the record..I would LOVE to hear about the monster Pontiac motor thing you are workin on..

-Abone.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Ya know Scotch, I am amazed at how many mag guys are hangin out in here. I lose track of all the guys on the board.

I agree that not all magazines are bad. I usually buy a magazine for one particular tech article anyway. The rest is just for funnies.

I do see a trend though. I used to get about 4-5 subs a month, gradually I quit renewing just because the meat isn't there anymore. Don't take this personal, I actually straddle the fence on this issue. I know you guys have a job to do and you have to follow upper managements direction, BUT.....it seems that most mags have gone the way of the advertisers and kinda gotten away from the "customer base". I know everyone has to pay the bills..blah blah blah....but I stop at the newsstand daily hoping for something good to read. I bet I haven't bought a magazine since May, other than Hop Up etc.

It's not just Hot Rod or Street Rodder or Custom Rodder....it's all of em. I would love to see more budget articles. R&C did a Neo Retro 327 buildup that I really liked. Sure it was a SBC buildup article but it was a pretty low budget build and something that a guy like me might actually get to try and mimic.
    I would challenge any magazine to do a "beater buildup" out of swap meet parts. Every once in a while they will do these on a motor but I would like to see the whole car...i.e. a 26 steel roadster or even glass for that matter. Build it with a swapmeet 283 and see how cheap it can be built. NO DONATED PARTS from advertisers or free machine work.

Please take this as profesional criticism not personal.
    Thanks [​IMG]
    Root

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    after lambasting the KKOA and KOA rags for not being professional

[/ QUOTE ]

you must mean some other wet blanket,

'cause I never even looked at that thread let alone the magazines.

Paul

11. Scotch

Scotch

LOL '60s style...there's lotsa wet blankets in here, and not all of them are tijuana upholstery.

Flamed A-bone - Thanks for the kudos, and PM me with regard to the sick-ass 601 Pontiac. It's almost ready to fire up...

In trying to address the issue of "swap meet" stories/buildups, etc., it ain't easy. We do some budget stuff with used parts/swap meet goodies, and all we hear about from readers is how they can't get the same deals we can..."Hey - you got a 350 4-bolt block for $50? I'll give you $60 for it..." , or , "Just because you guys have all that great swap meet stuff in CA doesn't mean I can get it in (insert rusty state of choice here)"

So, we try to use parts with part numbers so readers can dupe what we do. It sux in a way, but I try to suggest which parts make good swap meat (like blocks/cranks that can be machined, or of course vintage speed parts). Still, there are many snakes in the bushes at the Swaps..guys have written me griping about buying cracked blocks/heads/cranks from vendors. At least junkyard guys usually offer a return/exchange policy if your parts don't check out. Still, it's hard to recommend, especially to the readers with less experience, to buy used parts without knowing what they're doing. By recommending new parts, people get a guarantee they're getting what they ordered, and luckily there's enough competition in the mainstream hot rod industry where customer service has to be a priority or people will simply go to your competition. Plus, parts and kits are simply better now than they've ever been. Look at crate engines, or brake upgrade kits. There's some truly nice stuff out there for a fair price, and it's warranted. Tough not to recommend, especially compared to used stuff.

But, I understand the need for budget buildups, and we're working toward not one, but several of them now. Should make for some very interesting reading in the next few issues.

Scotch~!