Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jeff Neppl's 50 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46fatford, Jan 11, 2009.

1. You will love the way it sounds.Im not just saying it because its mine either.I wanted the Chris-Craft on the lake sound and I think it was accomplished.I think the Edmunds with the Strombergs,Isky cam, and the headers seem to work well together and I love the way it sounds and runs.
    Thanks guys for the compliments,seriously.I was so frustrated with this swap that I was very close to just saying forgetaboutit and throwing a for sale sign on the car.Im glad I didn't and its nice to hear what people think.It was a big project.... the old flathead was the original one and the whole engine bay was all original,so you can imagine how filthy and old it was under there,the old dark green paint was black.It was alot of work just getting all the road grime off before I even started stripping the old paint.Im now getting reassured that it was worth it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]

Jeff....you nailed it...every thing about it is period correct...the polished 2x2 manifold, the long style battery, and I know first hand what it took to chrome that generator...
    only thing left to do is polish that radiator tank...(and they polish up nicely)...I had the pleasure of seeing it at GNRS...didn't get much chance to chat as you were pretty busy....good job..!

3. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]

Oh...and I can't seem to keep up with your Avatars.....I liked the black and white photo the best....

4. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

That car is perfection...

5. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Jeff, had to tell you how great it is to turn on my computer every day and see your car as my screen saver, took my woodie off so your car could go on, your car is off the charts, every thing about it pushes all the right buttons, great job man......................:D

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Jeff you already know how much I love your damn car. That engine has now set it off to one of my favorites ever. I mean a gold Cad V8 with a polished....everything and 2x2 intake? Perfect man!!!

Let me ask you this, what trans do you have behind that?

7. Thanks guys once again for the compliments,im glad you guys are diggin it. Plywude.... screen saver really ? :) U-235 thanks man as far as the Avatars pics... I like to change it up and I love the beach. Dat Dirty Rat.... thanks dude.
    JeffreyJames, thanks for the compliment and as far as the trans goes it is the stock mercury 3speed.

8. That's FUCKIN SICK,Jeff!!!!!!! Love it....

9. jfrolka

jfrolka

How do you get it to run cool without the fan shroud? I couldn't see you running a lectric fan.. I dig the caddy swap, wasn't expecting that!

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

Nice job on buffing out that Kettering, Jeff. Just beautiful, man....

11. Well I am running the merc radiator and the stock cad fan and its been good so far.I was really wanting to do a shroud but Jimmy White told me to just try it first and see what happens.The merc radiator is quite a bit bigger then the cad radiator so hopefully it stays good and I think it will.Glad you were surprised by the cad swap.:D

12. jfrolka

jfrolka

Very nice style!! That radiator has me worried, it looks like it holds a shit load of water...im putting a 2 row 19x28 in my 51 merc for the caddy 500" and seems dinky compared to your radiator..hmm

13. Thanks Special Ed..... I wasnt going to polish the Kettering up so much but the more I thought about it,I wanted it to shine! :D

14. Aww man. I didn't think yer kemp could get any better'n it was ...and now, a Mercillac!

Leave the hood closed..(it just looks too good to disrupt the lines), and place a photo of the engine bay somewhere where folks can admire that too! :D

I need some new adjectives - My old ones are no longer adequate.

-Dave

15. Thanks man........Ya on a custom it is hard to want to pop the hood but as we have seen at some shows they did do it back then,they had to show off what was going on under that hood.:D Thanks ,glad you like the Mercillac.

16. Like sharks at the feeding ground.
    2 Chevy powered '51's and a Caddy powered '49 Lincoln

[​IMG]

17. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

duh..winner! In best Charlie Sheen impression.

18. Jeff - what's the intake? Is it a single 4 barrel manifold with a 2 carb Y type adaptor on top?

Beautiful engine bay. Some of the old style hose clamps would look tits...

19. No adapter...... Its an Original Edmunds. If you read the first post where I posted a picture of the engine it says there are some small details to be finished up(like hoseclamps) these were put on in a hurry so I can go out and drive the car.I never said it was 100% finished under the hood.I didn't put this much effort into the details to leave modern hoseclamps on for good.Trust me they will be swapped.Maybe it was to early to post pictures,I probably should of waited till I had the right hoseclamps on.

20. Jeff, Are there any videos you your Merc posted anywhere? I would love to see it in motion. Your Merc is a true inspiration!

21. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

BOOM! Jeff's bangin 7 gram rocks with his Merc now Piero!

22. Did some sleddin on Sat.
    uploadfromtaptalk1358215395550.jpg

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

23. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Handicapped parking RULES! I love that car.

24. Old thread.......:D

25. Huh. Not sure why you are telling us that:confused:

26. Special Ed

Special Ed

No worries. He's just yanking Jeff's chain a little ... :)

27. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

Great pic Jeff it looks so vintage.Wish I was out with mine on saturday but it was 13 degrees for the high here in Denver.

28. True Ed, Jeff works for me..... And is a fine employee.......

29. desotot

desotot

Love those tail lights.
    [​IMG]

30. jfrolka

jfrolka

The video posted of this merc purrrrrin in the dark with the close up of the tailights should be put on here... I love this merc