Register now to get rid of these ads!

JB Weld, what crazything have you done with it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Nov 19, 2004.

1. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

When I was a kid I worked at napa and there was a retired guy who was a real character he ran parts cleaned up and did odds and ends stuff,
    he would wear a hard hat when hanging up the exhaust pipes.
    Since he liked the vikings so much, we made viking horns out of jb stick and stuck em to the side of his hard hat.
    he wore it but said it was to fuckin heavy. it proably weighed 5 lbs. we used the whole damn box of putty to make em

2. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Patched a blown freeze plug in the middle of now where AZ, in the summer. Used water from the cooler to get back on the road. That thing stayed in for several years. Saved my butt more than once. Yes--I'm a beleaver, saved by the grace of JB weld.

3. No shit! I forgot I even started this one!

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I am never buying a car from any of you guys!!

5. I got an oddball SBC block.

The soft plugs in the back of the block are held in place with JB weld as I could never find soft plugs that fit.

6. It's the best bedding material I've ever used when I'm building a new rifle.
    Sets up slow, cleans off the metal well, doesn't harm the blue.
    Just be sure you use plenty of wax when you bed a rifle or you will have a one piece gun! I've used it a couple of times to glue sights on rifles. Still holding.
    We've used it plenty of times to temperarily (sp?) replace the threads in an aluminum manifold until we could helicoil it. Mike

7. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Used it to fix the timing case cover on my buddies 69 T-Bird, Missed a bolt changing the water pump and pried the pump and a piece of the cover with it, oops.

Also filled the thermactor holes on a set of exhaust manifolds on my 68 CJ5.

Just wished I knew about this stuff when I cracked the aluminum oil pan on Dads Mercedes years ago, don't ask how. Well I will give you a hint anyways, I just watched Dukes of Hazzard the night before.

8. Used it to patch a pin hole in the bottom tank of my aluminum radiator. It's held for 2 years now. Not as crazy as some of these posts but the stuff works.

9. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

fixed up a crack in the bottom of the diff houseing that was leaking on my 56 chevy held for 12 years till i spun a bearing and got a different one

10. I have avoided asking this question for fear of incurring the wrath of purists, but afer reading this thread, I figure I'm safe!

Can it be used as a poor man's All Metal filler? Kind of hard to justify buying a whole gallon of that stuff for just a few holes an pits.

11. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

This MAY be true, but my wife works for a dentist and I know for sure that putting a capped tooth back on with super glue will cause so much damage to your gums that you have to have surgery to repair them. It happens at least 2 or 3 times a year and they usually say the same thing. "I heard that this was invented by doctors for this purpose" Trust me that is not the case.

12. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

About 12 or 13 years ago I was running the Easyriders rodeo circuit , Sled pulling with a 120 inch nitrous injected shovelhead trike , made it to the finals but was blowing head gaskets every run . So we decided to J B weld the heads on the cylinders, won the event but blew the bottom end out on the last pass. After that we found a crankcase breather problem in the bottom end. The heads were salvageable but we had to bust the cylinders off the heads with a sledge hammer, But it did not blow the head gaskets.

13. gjlamp

gjlamp

Bought a 32 Ford Model B pickup with flathead v8 in 1962. It had been sitting for a while. I wanted to drain the rad and block. As soon as I turned the petcock on the block, a chunk of the block where the petcock was installed broke away. Block drained but I was besides myself as to what to do next. Mixed up two parts of JB and stuck it all back together. No problem with my daily driver for the next four years while I was in college. Sold the truck with the patch holding.

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Rotted out valleypan on my400 in the center.My welds aren't air tight .Covered patch area ,2 or 3 years ago, Still runs great. No vacumn leaks Love that stuff Also used it as body filler on rough 32 ford insert.Bars and crank hole.Figured this would hold up better than mud.Probably waterproof. Had to add this I lost my medical insurance and was considering to fill my tooth with jb weld.Cheaper than a crown.Does anybody recommend a demented dentist in the north east philadelphia region for such a job.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  15. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

When I was based in Meridian, MS., one of the local fellas tried to use it for a filling...that's right, as in tooth!
    It got so hot that he had to go to the E room to have it extracted, that gives new meaning to the term simple extraction!

16. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I had a VW bug back in High school which had a messed up crossed threaded head which finally was so bad that I wouldn't hold the plug anymore. So I decided to JB weld a plug into the the head. I hoped it woud hold long enough to find another head. ( I smoked the pot a lot back then) It actually held up for a 2 days of daily driving.

Since I have used it to patch up many things from 1960 BMW R60 carb bowls to table lamps.

17. RichG

RichG

JB weld: repaired a spindle on a golf cart (severely pitted), filled hole and patched crack in trans pan, put the grill back in my '78 Granada after knocking it out with a coyote, filled rust holes around a windshield and made a new gasket bead around the lower corner.

Marine Tex: patched a Ford power steering pump, leaking between the plastic case and the metal body, made a new race for the upper bearing to ride in the steering column in my '59 Chevy p'up, used a cheap come-along and two bottles of marine tex to repair a NP203 transfer case that met the legendary immovable object:D

18. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Don't use it to close a gash across the bridge of your nose! The fumes are near blinding when they hit your eyeholes. So I've heard..........

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Superglue was originaly invented to be a primary skin closure, to replace stitches so he is smarter than you think!

EDIT, Ok so thats already been coverd. As for supergluing a tooth? Dang, tats just as bad a JB!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  20. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they sell the sterile stuff at wally world in the bandaid section,comes as a kit with stuff you drip on the applicators, the dollar store made in china superglue, i wouldn't trust it,there's no telling what the chinese put in it as far as chemicals, or if wong chow ching chong was pissed at the boss and pissed it the batch or something.

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Marine Tex is JB Weld on steroids. I have used it to replace the half moon rubber seals on the ends of Jaguar cam covers. Vintage Jag engines had tach drives coming off the end of the cam, through a hole in the end of the cam cover. Later Jag engines lost the tach drive but kept the holes, filed with rubber half moons. The rubber shrinks from heat and so the cam covers leak like crazy. I fill the half moon opening in the tappet block and cam cover with Marine Tex, and use a tool bit to scrape it level. After that, no more rubber half moons and no more leaks.

22. GuyW

GuyW

Ya ever look at what conventional dentists actually put in teeth?

....lots of heavy metals....

23. wsdad

wsdad

My wife's surgeon glued her shut with crazy glue instead of stitches. I've heard it was originally invented to make quick patches on soldiers the battle field.

Edit: Oops. Already been said!

I've used JB Weld to patch up the rusty pits on old Whirlpool washing machine center shafts to get another year out of them.

I make fake rings for my daughters with the left overs.

Used it to make a mold once from a broken knob on my dash, then used it to make the new knob. It was hard to get the bubbles out. I had to add a little JBW, slam it down on the table, add another layer, slam it some more. When I was satisfied they were all out, I pushed the d-shaft down into it and suspended it in place with alligator clips until dry.

Pressed some of the gravel from my driveway into a big blob of it and pressed a buttered key into the other side to make a perfectly camouflaged hide-a-key rock.

24. cafekid

cafekid

the guy i bought my shoebox from actually put the passenger side floor board patch panel under your feet in the car with jb...... its still there to this day. and ive owned the car for four years now

25. von Dyck

von Dyck

Used JB to build up the rear pinion/U-joint yoke splines on a Ford 9" years ago. The splines were making a clunk sound. Washed the offending parts. Coated the splines with JB, slid the pieces together, let cure overnight, then JB'd the threads on the shaft and nut and torqued it until I got 15"lb rotating torque. Expected to have a whiney crown and pinion but it was quiet - and no more clunk, ever. Ran like that for years.

26. lowburban

lowburban

My dad is a farrier ( horse shoer for you city folks). He only does high end horses with bad foot problems like founder. They make a glue on shoe and it uses the high dollar official stuff docs use in surgery. 10 ml is about $90 bucks. Works awesome though on cuts and model cars too. He never was to happy about the models though. :)

27. Broken bike side covers. Three separate broken pieces become one again.
    JBWELD, ACE Hardware rattle cans, and urethane clearcoat.

I chose JB Weld over the others because it had the right amount of fillers to match the same "hardness" and flex as the sidecovers. It does no good to use a hard patch that doesn't flex along with the material being patched.

Everything was bevelled and tapered to make a gentle transition between filler and base material so no cracks or seams show up later.

To replace the broken mounting studs, I ground some bolts to shape, and JB Welded them in place.

Stronger and prettier than new.

Click on a close up and see how awesome it looks.

coverzglued.jpg

coverzglue2.jpg

coverzglass.jpg

coverzpatch.jpg

coverzalmost.jpg

coverzprime.jpg

coverzfin.jpg

suz1.jpg

THE LIGHTS ARE TURNED OFF. Only the camera flash.
    Suzi-at-night1.jpg

I wish I could do this for a living. It was fun to do.

28. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I cut the side out of a beer can and JB welded it onto the plastic tank of my Mazda Minivan where it was crumbling and leaking (todays cars are such crap). This lasted about 2 weeks, which was long enough for me to win a new one on ebay and recieve it to fix the van.

29. I came as close as buying the JB weld to tack a freeze plug into a catalytic converter where the original had rotted out. Then I parked the truck for a newer one.

Just fixing an exhaust leak with a freeze plug probably belongs in the "sawdust in the trans' thread, though. Especially since the last time I did it in the parking lot of the parts store laying on a tarp so I didn't get soaked laying in the snow instead.

30. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

The drivers door latch "ear" on my '53 F100 was worn down and the door would no longer latch. Built it back up with JB Weld, filed and shaped it and it worked like a charm.....