Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jay's Hot Rod: AV8 Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Junk Hunter, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I think about the best way to get a '30/31 body to look right on a '32 frame is to widen the body at the cowl to match the frame width and then give it a mini-channel to set the body over the frame...that's what this one is getting anyway.

Over the holidays I found enough time to make some progress. Here's what I started with. Note how the body sets on top of the frame. The bottom of the cowl needs to be spread out about 3/4" on each side. The 2 black lines on both sides of the firewall are where cuts will be made.
    [​IMG]

I jogged the cuts like this so I could pull the cowl out without changing the location of the floor board braces
    [​IMG]

Here is the firewall after a few holes were filled and the cuts were spread. I had already filled and smoothed the bottom of the pass. side at this point.
    [​IMG]

...and after the pie cuts were filled. Note I also filled the original steering notch while I was at it.
    [​IMG]

And here it is on the chassis after widening...fits much better now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. daddio211

daddio211

VERY cool! This looks so much better than pinching the chassis in my opinion, and I have nothing against a pinched chassis! This is certainly a lot more work and well worth it!

3. greaser

greaser

Looks good at the firewall. Looking forward to a side shot showing the channel.

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

diggit... Looks like fun!

5. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

nice truck, and some nice clean metal work for sure.

6. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I plan to finish up the subrail mods and get the cab mounted in the next few days. I'll post some pics when I get it all done.

Thanks for the comments guys!

7. Elrod

Elrod

Great work! I'm also needing to fill my steering notch. You did a great job. Curious if you used another firewall, or if you just made your own patch panel.

8. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I just bent up some 16ga to fit the hole.

Attached Files:

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very cool...I built a ground up wide bed and sure do miss it? Blake is enjoying it now.

10. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I have been waiting on an order of patch panels to arrive before I can do much else to the cab...so this weekend I decided to dress up the front crossmember a little bit.
    [​IMG]

I really like the look of stuff held together with rivets. I'll be using some here and there on this truck...so I added them to the crossmember.
    [​IMG]

The frame rails I am using are JW Rod Garage. They are made with a 1/8" slot on the inside for mounting boxing plates. I'm not using boxing plates so I had these screwy looking areas in front of the crossmember.
    [​IMG]

So I made these plates to finish it off a little better. (BTW - If you are wondering why the backing plate on my front wheel is on upside down refer to post #64:rolleyes: )
    [​IMG]

Done. Much better...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  11. What are your plans or the flathead?

12. Great looking truck. Subscribed.

13. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

99A block
    4" merc crank
    Isky 400jr cam
    Edmunds alum heads
    Edmunds intake
    dual 97's

...I plan to start on the flattie early this spring....I hope to have the truck running by end of the year.

14. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

beautiful! i love the chassis work.
    -rob

15. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I haven't had much time to work on the pickup lately but I did manage to get the mini-channel done. Here's a few progress pics...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  16. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Rolled the pickup out today to get a good look at the profile after the mini-channel....

Attached Files:

17. daddio211

daddio211

PERFECT!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

18. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

man do I wish I had my 30 pickup as far along as you

19. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

Nice profile.

-Danny

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

20. josh highley

josh highley

Cool project. Keep the updates coming.

21. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Still working on the cab when I can find the time.

Finally got both the cowl patch panels in. When I got the drivers side all welded in and blended out, I stood back to take a look and realized it was just crooked enough for me to notice...I knew it would bug me forever so I ended up cutting it all out and starting over. I think that little mishap screwed up my momentum the last couple of weeks.

The seat riser, rear cab support, and the lower rear of the cab were all rotted out. I've managed to get the rot removed and new cab support and floor panel fitted and mocked up.

I'm gonna hit it hard this weekend and get ALL the patch panel work on this thing done....There, I said it...Now I'm obligated.

More updates soon........

Attached Files:

22. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

A few days after my last post I got pretty sick. I was diagnosed last summer with this rare disease called systemic mastocytosis that knocks me on my ass every once in a while. This time it set a new record and lasted about 3 weeks straight. When it is 'acting up' I can't do much of anything...sucks. Working in the shop has been limited to an hour or so at a whack most of the time, so I haven't got near as much done on the pickup as I hoped to.

What I've got done is pretty dull stuff for the most part. I got the new cab crossmember and floor panel riveted in. Then I rebuilt the seat riser and got it installed. Once that was all back together, I got the cab mounted to the frame...this took a while to get right. I made oak blocks kinda like the original ones. They turned out real nice and the cab sets perfect. Once the cab was solid to the frame and everything was squared up, I started in on the rear cab patch panels. A few more hours and I'll have that done.

I'm ready to work on something other than the cab for a while. I'm thinking grille shell and headlight mounts....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  23. Elrod

Elrod

Looking good man! Take your time. Working on the hotrod is the fun part of the day. Don't let your hobbies kill ya. That is reserved for work!

This truck is going to be great!

24. Grudge

Grudge

Looks like a cool hotrod. Nice metal work!

Aaron

25. Nice profile. HRP

[​IMG]

26. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I hear ya, Elrod. I've just reached that point in life where I find myself saying stuff like 'I ain't as young as I used to be'. It's a real bitch finding out you're not immortal. I won't let it kill me though...I just need to learn to adjust the pace a little.

27. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Thanks, Man. This is the first metal/body work I have ever done. Kinda learning as I go.

28. daddio211

daddio211

^^^^^What he said!^^^^^

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. Retro61

Retro61

Nice! Hang in there!!!

30. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

My buddy AndyG stopped by the shop last night. We've been talking for a while about the right ignition for my flathead. Tonight he delivered it.

Vintage Harman & Collins magneto. Awesome!

[​IMG]