Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Jan 2011 banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

Hi Guys,

We're snowed in here in the Northeast so I thought I'd post a few pictures of my '29 Ford speedster. I got it a couple of years ago and it was a bit rough, needing rebuilds of the carb, distributor, and water pump, a new clutch, and general cosmetic reconditioning. It also leaked gas, oil, and coolant. All fixed now! I also added a 12V alternator, modern shocks (it had no shocks when i got it,) 2nd tail light with turn signals, front brake floaters, electric water temp gauge, and fuel pump. Since the photos were taken I also made a small racing-style windshield for the drivers side.

The engine is stock, but I'd like to get a high-compression head maybe a downdraft carb and headers someday.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. Bluto, I have found the information!

3. ebtm3

ebtm3

Bill- my book says that the TR2 had a 2.0860/2.0866 rod journal.

However it says that the '75-'80 Spitfire had a 1.8750/1.8755 journal, so that might be what you have--takes Clevite insert CB-982P insert (steel back, aluminum bearing material) Rod diameter 2.0210/2.0215 - gives .0016/.0039 clearance (.0722 insert thickness.)

Hope that this helps.

Herb Kephart

4. ebtm3

ebtm3

Bill--
    A better choice might be Wisconsin 108 cid 4 cyl--Clevite CB-979M (steel backed micro babbitt)---shaft -1,8750/1.8760 rod-1.9995/2.000 clearance- .0014/.0035 thickness.0613 width .864

Easier on the shaft, and less likelihood of running into the cap studs.

Herb Kephart

5. RussTee

RussTee

If money and parts were not a problem how and what banger engine would you build / design what modern technology would you use and who would you use for machining ect?

6. Make a copy of the Fronty DOHC and adapt it for either a Chevrolet 490 block or Dodge Fast Four :)

Roller rockers and lifters, balanced crank, etc.

7. That's a great question RussTee! I think the "B" engine that I brokered, (as I didn't do much to it other than the detailing on the exterior etc) is what I wanted for this project. The only item that would have been cool to have on it would be a magneto. I don't have much time on it yet but I have complete confidence in my very good friend the builder , Bob Baas of B7J Service in Alexandria Mn., that it will perform just fine. He can be reached at 320-763-5335. Bob is one of the most helpful, talented guys you will ever meet.
    Ron

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  8. RussTee

RussTee

these are the type of answers we need i sort of expected someone to say just buy a miller or something like that but it will be interesting to see what turns up has everyone seen the posts on Richy Willets speedster yet awsum hes doing it

9. ebtm3

ebtm3

Well -- here is the most unappreciated engine in the history of American production fours--the PB Plymouth. I would fab up an OHV head.
    Who would I use for machining? Myself, if I could afford me!

Herb Kephart

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Ben, that's a sharp looking speedster you've got. I really like it.

11. ebtm3

ebtm3

Did a search for Richy Willets speedster and only the above post showed up--

Link?

Herb

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i agree with the "b" motor , but done by STAN VERMEIL of nevada city . builds the best IMHO . amazing person when it comes to model A/B motors ....... steve

13. My Riley two Port head came from Stan. Bob is amazinger....LOL
    Ron

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i dont know bob , but if he is as good or better .... then he is one hell of a 4 banger builder ! ..................... steve

15. Steve; He is ! As is Stan, from what I hear.
    Ron

16. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I just got this in a email. You guys might like it

"This is a great video showing the first assembly lines at the original Ford auto plant. Neat to see those guys making the old wooden wheels, by hand mostly... The places that car could go...is amazing!"

Click here

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

We have several companies here making wooden wheels

This is the carrage production center of Europe.

Almost all the tourist taxis are made here

18. I've been looking for a 4:1 ratio tach and they're apparently Brit. :rolleyes:
    I think it was Triumph TR2 or MG. Too modern for me. Anybody else find one? Guess you could figure out pulley ratios, but wouldn't it take a small crank drive pulley?

19. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Hey Ben from RI- nice speedster; I'm a fan!

And for another interruption- took some guys advice on here and talked to some others and I am proud to say that for the first time my little speedster is running like a champ. Unfortunately i got it running the night the snow and ice started here so I have not yet been able to get out of my neighborhood. But it is all regiistered and "legal" for road use now!

Here is a link to the youtube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8CcDDBxdRA

20. Sounds good man!

You need to bring that down to Brad54's swap in March... but for now, the snow's melting- get that out on the road and have FUN!!!

21. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

It will be at the world of wheels for its grand unveiling with the sock fuckers. to get over to brads meet from me is a long hike on backroads.

22. Have fun at WOW- if you happen to meet a guy by the name of John Sizemore (speedsterinc here on the HAMB), tell him I said hi! He just finished a really nice black '39 Ford sedan for a customer and they'll be premiering it there as well.

John goes way back with Model T's/A's and will I bet will really like your speedster!

Oh, back roads are what that was built for, right :D?

Hope to meet up with you sometime!

Bill

23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I've only done the math in my head, but if you put a pulley on the gen that is half the size of the crank pulley, then you have a tach drive that is running the same speed as the cam. Most tachs run at cam speed.

24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Glad to hear it running. Great looking car!!!!!

Please elaborate on what you did to fix the problem. That way when some one else has the same problem, we can tell them to read this thread. :D:rolleyes:

25. RussTee

RussTee

Sorry Herb try search on:update on Richie Willetts speedster progress: its great work but keeping the motor trad

26. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

Thanks, yours is sharp also! By the way, what did you fix to make it run right?

27. ebtm3

ebtm3

Russ-- That worked!

Amazing!! Bookmarked it so that I can go back and study it when I have more time-----Thank you!!

Herb

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Man, how did this build not get more discussion here. The motor alone should be several pages of discussion.

[​IMG]

29. i would like to see the bellhousing and how the starter was switched the the pass side
    tk.

30. RussTee

RussTee

Now you see why I am asking what we would build if time money and parts were not a problem ,not to take away from Richies project its fantastic but is this not the level we should try to build too the modern day banger motor is hugely expensive for a simple motor compared with say a small block chev {wash ya mouth out Rusty] so for the money we put into these things should we not also go the extra step and finish to this level? Man would that put Bangers on the mat even if we did not flash up the bodies of our cars there is no reason that our "New" build motors should not stand out ?