Register now to get rid of these ads!

jalopyshowdown drags beaver springs ruled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jerry325w, Sep 30, 2007.

1. jerry325w

jerry325w
    from baltimore

just a quick note on yesterdays drags. scary larry outdid himself. wait for the pics, it was either iowa or heaven ya know? we are lucky to have been their for the 1st one. want to camp next year and maybe help out. its early and thoughts are muddy yet, but thanks larry. got to watch my son beat his flattie down the track and the whole exent was run extremely well, smooth and lots/o/fun.:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

2. bje31

bje31
    from Western PA

I agree 100%. This show will be a biggie soon. My wife, me and 4 others made the trip from western PA and we had a grand ole time.
    Hope the date pretty much remains the same for next year's event. We are penciling this one on the calendar for 2008!

3. RustyCoupe215

RustyCoupe215
    from Owings, MD

Hey,

The drags were awesome! Took a bunch of pics and had a blast!!! In the continuing quality of east coast shows this Drag weekend will continue to get bigger!!! The organization of the Rod class and IHRA cars were awesome and will really help. Its cool because you can run back to back without the BS you deal with at another track. Letting you dial in your car even better with the open passes.

Next year lets get the GASSER WARS going!!!

See the post on SHOW PICS!!!

4. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

The drags were absolutley perfect......Larry put on a great one as well as Bob and Bill who run the track, Spike was shooting all day so future coverage will be great. we ended up twisting a leaf spring on the first run in the Willys but we gave Mike's blown sedan several good runs. There were great cars there and it was great to see so many races without newer shit in them. I can't say enough about the cars and people that were there perfect perfect perfect.

5. disturber

disturber

Had a blast! Rode my 66 Trump out and those roads were great for it. Great weather and everyone's right, at least from a spectator standpoint I can say the event was top notch. Hell, I haven't been on here in a while. I didn't even know about it til I saw our very own ThunderBirdEsq. at the grocery store, ha. Glad I did.

6. had a great time just as a spectator. the cars were awsome. next year i'll have a car to participate. hope the cutoff date (i think it was 1963) for entries stays the same so it doesn't become just another nostalgia event for the sake of upping the car count. the news about the event is already spreading...wait till next year. Mokan East?

7. yekoms

yekoms

Yep a real kool day it was and we were just spectatin'. A big THANKS to all that made it happen.
    Larry, Beaver Bob and their guys are a great combination. They all have the passion for this hot rod thing and havin' fun. This event is more than a drag race or a car show. It is can't be described without bein' there. Kids foot races, HotDog/HotRod races, lots of track time if wanted. Beaver Springs is the BEST place and location for this event, as is Latimore Valley for the Show Down. The ride along the river and through the little towns and hills is enjoyable and that was in my '79 Malibu wagon parts chaser. I can't wait to do it in the coupe.
    Bein' involved with 1/4 mile drags I never thought that 1/8 mile stuff could be this much fun. It was just great to see folks enjoyin' themselves runnin' thier hot rods. You could go to this event with your street hot rod make a couple safe passes for kicks and just enjoy the rest of the event. If you don't get hooked on doin' passes. If you do get hooked and the car was IHRA legal you could also run the 1/4 mile.
    The knuckle Draggers altered truck is a real kool deal. I can't get that damn thing out of my head.
    The Jalopy Show Down events have set the bar for for great hot rod events and I call them "events" 'cause they are way more that just static shows.
    Larry, Like I'll tell you every time that I see you "Thanks for giving us the Latimore Valley and Beaver Springs Jalopy events!"
    Smokey

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yea, No kidding! Thanks Larry, Kim, Bob, Bill, etc... I think that was the most fun I've had all year! (besides the latimore event...:D ) Good weather, good people, good times. Thanks to Sawzall, 46mopar, and Clark for helping out with tools for my repair operation. The '34 crapped a U-joint on the way down. A speedy switch on the grass and we were racing the rest of the day.

9. sawzall

sawzall

agreed! an awesome event. I had a blast watchin "class reunion" launch off the line..

from where dad, mazdaslam and I were swapping you could see the cars come off.. it was awesome..

I'll go back..

Larry.. please keep this a fall event..

the weekend and weather were perfect.

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

11. max8

max8

Got to be one of the best shows ever.

12. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

I must agree with what every one else said.This is a GREAT place to have an event.We had a good time hangin out,selling some parts:D and checking out all the cool cars that showed up. I cant wait for next year!!!!

13. scarylarry

scarylarry

I'm glad everyone had fun. This will ALWAYS be a pre-64 only show! Bob, Bill and I have already talked after I asked around at the show...next year we will do LOTS more time shots and grudge matches first....a LOT more! Hell, we'll just run that way all day if thats what you want. Thanks to everyone for the support of the show, Bob, Bill and crew for being straight up and letting me go on this. I kept checking with Bob, "can I do this,or put this here?" and he pretty much said "its your deal, do what you want". That makes it so much easier for me and he really gets the kind of show I want to do. Also Zombie and Rod from Rod & Kulture magazine for coming out from Ca and supporting my show deal. This is gonna be a lot of fun...I cant wait until next year!!

14. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

15. evol55

evol55

How many puked after the hot dog race?

16. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

This cannot be emphasized enough!!! this WAS th single greatest time, the absolute most fun, I have EVER had, at a drag strip...you will not get more, for less out of anything in your life! whatta bargain!!! I met great folks, had a blast, and I wish I was still at "the Beaver"...thanks to everyone for putting this show on...don't laugh to hard at this, but: someday, you might look back and realize, YOU helped save drag racing...REAL drag racing.

The B-E-S-T time imaginable...

17. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

The drags were awesome! Larry put on a great show and I feel sorry for those who missed out.

18. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

What he said,it was the Best event

19. Class Reunion

Class Reunion
    from N.E. PA

Want to say thanks to Larry and all involved we had a great time and look forward to next year.
    Gregg,Chris,and Butch

20. 39sledge

39sledge

best show i been to i pussed out running my truck for fear of breaking but next year i plan to take what ever i have at the time and run the shit out it thanx again larry for a kick ass show.

21. 52ChevyBizCoupe

52ChevyBizCoupe
    from Maryland

Awesome show,had a blast :)
    Will be back next year
    By far one of the best events I've been to

22. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

this show was absolutly AMAZING .
    and the weather was perfect for good racing . the show was great , great people, the track people bob and bill were real nice . ive never been to a dragstrip that was this interactive with the crowd . Hotdog races and kid races were sweet .
    saw alot of the familar faces and some new ones .
    lets not forget the Schwin Races by flash light !
    yes when the lights go out the bikes come out .. we got to ride bicycles on the dragstrip .

thanks to Larry,Bob,Bill and spike for letting me get some good close pictures of the racing . :)

23. 19LaidBack37

19LaidBack37

Yeah it was a nice time and very well done. Looking forward to next years event. And DirtyThirty was one of the highlights of the day for me, i was looking forward to seeing it run. I even got some vids to post up hopefully tomorrow. Great job Larry!!!! (Hot dog race was funny too)

24. :D Thanks to Beaver Bob, Larry, Bill, and all the guys in the pit, the
    crew, the food ladies and girls...everyone that made our day. We
    hated to leave, and wished we had a camper. ;) What a fantastic day. :p Lots of Kool cars, Kool people, and Kool workerbees that made it all such a good time. Woody couldn't wait to throw up some
    of the magnificent pictures of the races, and HotRods coming and going.:rolleyes: We both hope to be able to attend again next year!!!!:cool:

25. rt66jt

rt66jt
    from York, PA

This was Barbara's first time at a dragstrip. She was surprised how much she liked watching, but next year she wants to run!

26. Spike!

Spike!

Don't forget the two hour long rubber band fight on Saturday night after the bike drags.. Junior VS. The WORLD!

Spike

27. Flashback Bill

Flashback Bill
    from PA

As Scary Larry has mentioned on another post, he, Beaver Bob and I have already discussed ways to tailor next years show into the event that the people want to see and participate in. Our philosophy for an event is that we want to make it as interactive for EVERYONE who attends, be it the spectator, the car showing enthusiast, the drag racer, or even children.
    I have heard folks compare Beaver Bob to PT Barnum before because of the 3 ring circus atmosphere that is created by multi activity shows. I love events that are a 3 ring circus format: 1. show and shine car show area 2. swap and shop (flea market area) 3. tire squealing drag racing going on
    We also try to make our specialty events interactive with kids foot races and the hot dog race.
    Spike said it best" Just pitch an idea to Bob and it usually is approved immediately." I was only joking when I first mentioned the FLASH BIKE drags to a few folks. I want to thank Spikes wife for bringing to my attention that there really were folks interested in doing flash light drags on bikes at night. That grass roots interest spawned a new interactive event which is now an official part of the Showdown drags format. We have folks race each other on bikes that are started by a flashlight at night. They race 200 feet whereby 3 line judges determine the winner and flash the light of the winning lane. It was a hoot to do and watch. We had six 70's style and older bikes that were shared by about 12 different people and made about 20 passes in front of a crowd of 20+ people before folks were too tired to continue. What a great way to get kids and adults involved in the event and put the show to rest on.
    I also want to thank Kim for making a special activity take place. After the kids foot race, I would interview each winner and ask them who they were, where they were from and what kind of car they likes. Well one winner said he liked roadsters and wanted any kind of roadster someday. I then challenged anyone in the crowd with a roadster to take this 10 year old for a ride. Thats when Larry's wife Kim stepped up and told the boy to wait a moment and she would make that happen. It was just precious to see the boys face as he was going on his earned ride with Scarry Larry in the Showdown Special. They even road down the track. Beaver Bob made an announcement to draw attention to the kids and when they got off the track at top end. The folks up there came to the fence to clap and cheer on the foot racers as Larry drove by. I think that story conveys the genuine devotion and effort that Scarry Larry and Beaver Bob put on their event with. Attention to details like that were on going throughout the event. At the drivers meeting, Beaver predicted nobody would have more fun than he would and he kept up that statement by going to the finals in the hot dog race. But I think I had the most fun!!! It was a hoot seeing my brother smoke the 1/8th mile in my model a roadster during the hot dog race when he and his boy put down the west coast magazine team of Spike and Zombie. I don't think anyone will read about that upset in the Rod and Kulture magazine coverage that is to include 3 pages of picts and text in an upcoming issue. We were thrilled to have editor, Zombie and his Dad make the trip from Ca to be at out first event. I think they felt the trip was worthwhile. Hats to off to Scarry Larry and his wife Kim, as well as Spike for doing an outstanding job on my favorite event put on at BSD.
    If you missed this years event, make sure you plan to attend next years. Hint: come friday night and stay all weekend! Camping at the Beaver is the best way to turn back the clocks and live the Kulture all weekend long!

On behalf of Scarry Larry, Beaver Bob, Zombie, Spike and I
    thanks for being at the first Traditional Rod and Kulture's Jalopy Showdown Drags

Flashback Bill
    Announcer and Flag Starter

28. zombie

zombie

i grew up at famoso dragstrip in bakersfield, and have seen a LOT of drag racing, but this was by far the funnest and, the coolest location i have ever been to. there really is no way to describe the atmosphere in words. i would like to thank larry, kim, bob, and bill for making us feel real at home. id also like to thank clark for letting me and spike burn up the clutch in the 999 car. hopefully we can avenge our defeat in the hotdog race next year. i cant wait for next year. we are going to try to bring out a few west coast gassers for next years event. we also plan on promoting this years, and next years event as much as possible. this is what grass roots nastalgia dragracing is all about. thanks guys.

zombie

29. fatabone

fatabone

Moe!

30. ratboy460

ratboy460
    from maryland

Hats off to Larry, Bob, and Bill (and everyone else) for making it happen. Couldnt have asked for a better day to have it and was well worth the 3 or so hour ride. Cant wait till next year !!!!!