Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Jake's tub

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by speedster t, May 11, 2021.

1. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I like it, and love that Jake pulled off what he set out to do.

kidcampbell71 and Irish Mike like this.
  2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Whether you like it or not. People still talk about it. That has to count for something.

3. Wasn’t Jake an art major in school? Artist’s take chances....I’ve always liked it…

32Dan likes this.
  4. I was there that day watching the painting, and thought it was a cool thing to do at the Goodguys show where there were so many high buck cars.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  5. This, right here, every car guy needs to write this somewhere they see it everyday.

If it’s not fun why do it? I don’t have old cars for attention or as a status symbol, I have ten because they make me happy.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Von Dago likes this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have seen guys that paint their hot rods with chalkboard paint and let the kids draw on them at the shows. I have to respect guys willing to do that. These things aren't gold, just old rusty metal. Would I do it? Probably not, but if a guy wants to, more power to him.

Pete Eastwood likes this.
  7. I raced Jake in his tub and me in my similar red Ford 29 roadster at a Ventura fairgrounds car show. Anybody have a picture of that race ?

kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wonder if anyone could take a 1930's G.P. car and cover it with race programs and factory billing for the same effect?

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think anyone that does anything similar would be a”Johnny come lately.”

The37Kid likes this.
  10. chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  11. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

The thing I like the most about Jakes tub is Jakes attitude. I dig the car too.

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He could have used all those magazine pages to make a paper-mache roof instead;)

chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

It makes me wanna build a tub.

winduptoy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Haha

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  15. Great tub. wondering does anyone have any pics of it before the brush painting.
    Al.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. rudestude

rudestude

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

I seam to remember a build feature in a magazine, maybe Rod & Custom. He used good stuff in the build. Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Only thing wrong with this car is that I don't OWN IT!!!!!!!!!

19. rudestude

rudestude

Wow....so many directions on this one.
    Its funny reading through the comments being made on this one.
    You can almost figure out the age of the person or how in depth they are in the hobby by reading the responses.
    I remember when this took place and still have my copies of magazines that it appears in....never really thought anything about it then or now .....just a guy doing something to his Hot Rod because he can....true he was of some fame ...and the regular guy with no fame probably would of been covered with tar and feathered or just pissed and shit on , but then he probably would of never got any further than his home town let alone magazine coverage.
    If you lived it back in the day , liked it or hated it, or if your a young hobby member and not up on the past history or happenings of the hobby and are unaware of what went on in the day...you probably don't get it....under stand it or even know who Jake is or what "Pete & Jake's" ment to hot rodders.
    It's all about having fun and enjoying your hobby.
    Being famous not famous...with money or not so much money..
    If you build your own hot rod or buy or have someone build it for you .....no matter your age or level of support, an open mind to others will make the hobby more enjoyable to all.
    Good Day

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks rudestude! On the other side of the coin or in the other bay of the garage is the 1929 Ford Pickup that Jake built.................

21. rudestude

rudestude

As far as "being painted with a brush" goes...hell , that part of the story is more "traditional" than you might think.
    The early model T's I believe were flow painted in the factory.
    Look it up. 16214174684205070806488349295492.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Brush painted cars (or unpainted legit patina cars) I have no problem with however, plastering a car with magazine pages is definitely not something that interests me. It has 'history' or 'you do realize who built this right' means nothing to me ... I either like something or I don't. In this case, I don't.

That's great that they had fun doing it and that's great that so many enjoy it to this day ... I'm just not one of them :)

On the other hand, Jake's gold A truck is absolutely fantastic.

23. A Boner

A Boner

24. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I wonder if all the “likers” would have the same opinion of the car if some random guy other than Jake had done this? FWIW, I think that it is a great car without the decoupage.

25. Wouldn't change my thoughts. Still was a bold move in a sea of pastels and heartbeat graphics of the day.

dumprat, warbird1, Dan Hay and 3 others like this.
  26. i would definitely trade my car for that no doubt. i mean before it had paper plastered all over it haha

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've always liked that car - before and after the 'Jakeoupage'.
    It's a million times better than any Rat Rod™.

tintin, Dan Hay, micksmith and 3 others like this.
  28. alchemy

alchemy

This car and it's "specialness" reminds me of the reaction to the Rudy Truck. It was different enough in design to gather attention in a sea of similars. The shape and components drew you to it, but a few one in a million items made it unique. Gave it je ne sais quoi.

After Rudy sold the truck subsequent owners added their own touches, and removed some other touches, it just wasn't the same. Remember the reaction when it was discovered the truck didn't have the original lettering on the doors?

If Jake's touring was repainted, it wouldn't be the same car anymore. Might still be cool, but not the same impact.