Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Jahns piston help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 66ragtop, Jul 22, 2019.

1. 66ragtop

66ragtop

I have a set of Jahns pistons 030 over for my 324 Olds. I'm trying to find info and specs on them. Does anybody have an old catalog that would help. They are cast and have #172 and JE on the underside

Thanks
    Brian

Attached Files:

2. Bear40

Bear40
    from Minnesota

I'm guessing they were made by JE Pistons, and not Jahns. My old Jahns catalogs list #941 as being for your Olds.

3. Fordors

Fordors

The waffle pattern was seen in Jahns pistons for years but I never saw it associated with J&E’s before. Jahns put their name inside the skirt, not in the waffle pattern like your J&E’s. Jahns predated J&E by years, even decades, and I’ve heard that the letters stand for Jahns Engineering but never saw documentation to back that up. J&E made forged pistons long before Jahns.
    I don’t have a catalog but if I were you I’d measure the compression height to see if they are for a stroker crank. Being sand cast and barrel skirt they will need more clearance than a more modern piston, like maybe .008. Jahns (your J&E’s should have radiused grooves) used wire piston pin retainers BITD and that is still a popular and good method. No doubt you are already aware that they are heavy.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  4. 66ragtop

66ragtop

Yes they are heavy and have wire piston pin retainers.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.