Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jag IFS swap on 50 Chevy Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M.D. 50, Dec 11, 2011.

1. M.D. 50

M.D. 50
    from Maryland

I am considering doing a Jag IFS swap on my 1950 Chevy Sedan Delivery. I am not by any means an experienced mechanic, but I can get by on the basics. Would this be a difficult undertaking for a person of my skill level? Any advise or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marc

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Even if it were free there are better ways to go on the SD..........

3. M.D. 50

M.D. 50
    from Maryland

Good to know! I am new to rebuilding old cars, so any help would be awesome. What other options should I explore?

Thanks

4. Do a search on jag rearends.
    There's a gang of info here.

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Personally I would use a GM '64 - '67 front clip or a Camaro/Chevelle, MII being my last choice although easier for a beginner .................
    I did a '75 Corvette front clip on a '50 Chev P/U and was very happy with that set up. Used the Vette front clip, motor & 4 speed...........

6. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I think Camaro or Chevelle are too wide for the front. There are many posts on this using the Jag IFS. The width seems to be correct.

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

If you dont want to do the Jag a G body is the right width...

8. ...here's a 49 fastback I clipped with a 72 Nova sub, worked great...
    [​IMG]

9. M.D. 50

M.D. 50
    from Maryland

Awesome, thanks guys. I know the guy I bought it from put a Nova rear end in it.

Rusty1 is there a ton of welding with the Nova clip?

10. ...there's a fair amount of cutting, grinding and welding, but worth it in the end. I've done dozens of these clips, so not too big a deal anymore...

11. caseyrod

caseyrod

m.d. for a 50s chev is the easiest swap I ever made,the with is correct and minimal fabrication and little welding.that would me my chioce

12. M.D. 50

M.D. 50
    from Maryland

Trying to find cheap and local no luck on the Nova, but I am going to hit the big junk yard tomorrow.

I did find this though, 75 mustang II complete front frame with upper/lower arms, spindles and brakes $150.00

I know Brigrat mentioned it would be easier for a beginner.

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I should have said a "store bought MII" with bolt in or welded cradle is easier for a beginner NOT a wrecking yard find.
    You will never find a '75 anything that doesn't need refurbishing, you will have to take that yard front clip and change it to 5 lug rotors AND rebuild every part of it hoping that the rack is tight. You will have spent as much doing that as it costs to buy after market. What you will gain is not having to reinvent the core support mount and front bumper brackets. I can put a GM clip under one of those faster than it tales to build new front bumper brackets and such. It's a trade off.
    A GM clip will give you a much better ride and you can taylor it to your driving habits. JMO

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

And absolutely all of the above mentioned except the Mustang II are aproximately four times the welding and work to install that the Jag is! I have done several clips in my life time, and in my opinion, the typical Camaro/Nova clip is too wide for anything that will sit lower than stock. Period. At 58 1/2" The Jag front end is just a hair wider than I like, but would fit easily under the stock rails and could either be welded to the frame rails or have four tabs welded to the frame to pick up the stock Jag mounting points. There is no need to cut the frame in half like a clip, and the most work on a clip is always remounting the front sheetmetal and core support issues where the steering box sits. Problem solved with the Jag. As I said though, It's an inch or two wider than I like. The easiest and best fitting under an A.D. is still the Mustang II. I've lots of those over the years.

15. 73RR

73RR

Just curious...how many Novas ride and handle as well as a Jag?

16. hershambob

hershambob

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Apples and Oranges, his SD has way more higher center of gravity. Bout all that is needed in a '64-'67 GM clip is maybe a spring rate change and for sure a 1" -1 1/8" sway bar..................

18. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I will have to say. do a search and start reading about the pros and cons. in my opinion. it seems that the jag is the way to go for these old chevys. i havent done one but from my research for my car. it will be much easier and better results in the end