Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest JACK (ROCKETMAN) McCLURE IS BACK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Jan 12, 2016.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

Most of you have never heard of him but he is one of the bravest and luckiest guys to be alive. The first time I watched his first insanity was in 1962 at Concord Drag Strip in North Carolina. He had a go-cart with 4 West Bend engines, two at each rear wheel. He ran times in the 11s at over 120 mph in the 1/4 mile. It was at the height of go-cart popularity and he was a hero to all kids and most adults who had one. There were many twin engine carts at the time but he was the only one with four.
    If that wasn't enough balls a few years later he built a new cart using the new Turbonique turbine engine and started running in the 150s. I was amazed the wheel bearings in those small tires could take the punishment. He ran that cart until the rocket motor movement came about in the late '60s and replaced the Turbonique engine with a rocket.
    He was one of drag racing's biggest exhibition stars until retiring in 1974 after recording times in the 5s at 230 mph. He sold the kart and trailer and bought a large fishing boat and became very successful at that as well. A few years ago he retired from fishing and like so many racing legends had a desire to buy his old racer. He knew the guy that bought it had passed away but never sold it and after contacting his daughter negotiated a deal to buy it back.
    He sent it to rocket expert Ky Michaelson for a complete restoration and started trying to get it approved for exhibition runs. I talked with him by phone last night and he is having a tough time getting an insurance carrier to cover him. A few months ago he was booked for an appearance in Aruba and has other appearances in the works. I have posted a youtube video of a testing session. If you watched him 40 plus years ago post your memories.
    Most of you know Chris Karamesines is still racing in his 80s. On Super Bowl Sunday Feb 7th be sure and wish Jack McClure a happy 90th birthday.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. wow i hope he gets booked in the midwest. i would travel to see that. i was too young to see it back in the day. its so cool at his age he can still do it. thanks for the video.

3. frank spittle

frank spittle

He told me last night that when he built the rocket cart he could not get approval from NHRA to run at their sanctioned tracks so he went to IHRA President Larry Carrier and offered to run it free at Rockingham's National Event, which was coming up. He said he made exhibition runs at every IHRA National Event across the country after that at a handsome fee until he retired.

4. elgringo71

elgringo71

I would love to see him run

5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers