Register now to get rid of these ads!

J2 intake and 371 Olds heads on a 324? Will this work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Just Jones

Just Jones

Yes, I've used the search function, and came up with conflicting info.

Here's the deal:

I have a 324 engine. I want to run a factory J2 tri-power manifold, but my understanding is they don't fit well (i.e. intake runner match-up), even with machine work . . . which evidently is required? I don't really know.

So - can I run later 371 heads on a 324 block, the j2 intake and come up with a good working combination?

Thanks in advance -

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. F&J

F&J

You will get some better info, but I am almost positive that Ross Racing Engines who is Goatroaper02 on hamb, said he does machine the J2 to fit earlier motors.

Also, I bought out an old gas class collection of parts. One part was: The guy bought a new J2 intake at the dealer back then and machined it to fit a 324. It has a protruding casting bump at the center heat riser that does hit the 324 valley pan. I read on hamb to either dent the pan or use a 371 valley pan.

What year 324? I have never found good info on the 1956 intake differences. I thought there is a pic of a NOS Edelbrock intake with original label that says it fit "56 to 58" in the hamb Olds thread.. Makes me wonder if a J2 would fit a 56 without machining but just needing a 371 valley pan??

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It's not a matter of running the '57 heads---the '57 block had a taller deck height than the '49-'56 blocks did, necessitating a wider intake manifold.

4. Just Jones

Just Jones

So, in otherwords, a J2 manifold would have to be milled down to fit a 324?

Hmmmmmm. Sounds like hot rodding to me.

Anybody out there ever actually used this combination and made these mods?

5. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Answers are Yes

Yes
    and Yes and a lot more

Tony

6. Just Jones

Just Jones

Somebody out there who has actually done this . . . put a 371 manifold on a 324 or 303 . . . tell me the story, help me out! How did this work for you? Was it worth it? Was it a huge pain in the ass to make it work, or no big deal?

Thanks in advance to my HAMB brothers of Olds

7. Rocket-Boy

Rocket-Boy

goatroper is telling you yes and he has quite a reputation around here for knowing his stuff. if you dont want his help id begin to think you were not actually serious about this

8. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

It works fine,just requires machine work
    Is it a pain?I build custom engines so cutting intake manifolds is part of most builds and having a building full of equipment makes it easy......for me

What is the final goal and use of the engine going to be?doesnt matter on the brand of motor ....you still need a full package,not just bolt some parts together.

Tony

9. Just Jones

Just Jones

Hey, Rocket Boy, who is paying for this engine, you or me? Don't get all butt hurt if I am asking for specific information before I spend my hard earned cash.

Goatroper may know what he is talking about, but I still don't know SPECIFICALLY what I need to do to make this combination work.

Do You know how to make this work yourself? Have you built an engine like this? If you do and have, add some information that would be constructive, dont give me shit about whether or not you think I am serious about buidling this engine. Not real helpful, FNG.

Opinions are worth every penny you pay for them. Thanks for your valuable input.

What I need facts.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  10. Just Jones

Just Jones

Thanks for the input. Good to hear from someone who has actually done this. I have nightmares about bringing my block, heads, and manifold in to a machine shop, only to have them totally fuck everything up and tell me it couldn't be done - when I know damn well its been done more than a few times. Still looking for the specific info I need to give to my friendly neighborhood machine shop, though.

Thanks for your time - Speed

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So this would work no problem if you were using a log type intake like the 6x2 offy? In other words, are the heads themselves a bolt-on, and the width of the tall-deck intake is the issue? Do you need to notch the tops of the bores in a 324 to clear the valves with the later heads?

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No, you shouldn't have to notch the bores. In fact, the '57-'58 heads have the same intake/exhaust valve sizes as the '56 heads.

13. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I used 57 heads on a 324 and if I remember correctly all I did was elongate the holes in the intake. This was in 58 so I might not be correct. I think the ports are larger. I do remember milling them, just don't know how much. I do know it was lo buck as I was just a kid.

14. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

You would still use a 324 manifold on a 324 with 57-58heads[as its the block deck height that changes not the head] with some port matching
    Or 371 manifold needs ABOUT .100-.125 off each side depending on other work being done
    Top and bottom of the port on a 324 manifold will be smaller but side to side will misalign resulting in a ledge affect or head port hanging into the manifold opening

Remember manifold smaller than heads will work ok, but manifold edges larger than head openings ...bad

Tony

15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

GR I must have used the 324 intake as I'm pretty sure we didn't mill the intake.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The Offy log is actually two separate pieces, one log for each head, and fits the late port size, so it should be unaffected by the deck hieght. When did olds change from the early center-bolt rocker covers to the later perimeter style? Is there a large port head that takes the center bolt rocker covers? How much taller is the later port? I was quite impressed by the flow #'s in the Street Rodder mag build, the large port heads actually flow really well for a head from that era.

17. Just Jones

Just Jones

That is very helpful info, thanks GoatRoper.

18. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I know the 6x2 are 2 pieces and not affected by deck height,I was refering to any other type manifold

1959 was the cover pattern change year

59 on up heads have a different port altogther which is approx3/8 of an inch longer but is really not that great, it just looks big as it is bass mouthed at the entrance

Tony

19. Just Jones

Just Jones

Here is some more really great info that was PMed to me. . . obviously by someone who was more successful with the search function than I was (Thanks, Steve - you're a good guy). Seems to go right along with Goatropers contributions:

"Yes,You can run the 371 intake on a 303 or 324 . Enlarge the bolt holes in the 371 intake,use a 371 intake gasket to pattern how much to port your heads so the smaller intake ports will not restrict the flow so bad. Just blend the openings down into the head ports around a 1/2 inch to smooth out the flow from intake to the head passages.
    The angle is the same,use 371 gaskets and bolt on." See his 2008 post at: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...=273277&page=6

20. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

250 CFM shouldnt be wasted

Tony

Attached Files:

21. figure8

figure8

I installed the '57 heads on a bored out 303, but it was 50+ years ago when I was in high school. I remember I milled the heads and used J2 (shim) head gaskets to get the compression up. The J2 intake bolted on, but I can't remember for sure whether or not I had to mill the intake gasket surfaces to make it fit. Phil

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So the big port heads with center-bolt valve covers are #10,#14, #16? Are the chambers in these heads bigger than the earlier small-port heads?
    With a head that can go 250 cfm with reasonable port work, a 260@050 108lda cam, 11.5-12/1 and 1000cfm of strombergs or holley 94's on a well thought out home-made log, a guy with some smarts could build a engine that looked like it was straight out of the fifties, and really make some pretty serious power. My interest is piqued.

23. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

About 4 cc's

Yes You Can

That was my goal......lol

Tony

24. Just Jones

Just Jones

Was? So . . . what happened? What was the end result - not what you had hoped for?

Great pix by the way.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, its not (wait for it) Rocket science...Sorry, couldnt resist! ROFL!:D:p

Bad puns aside, I would expect something like what I have outlined to make somewhere in the area of 450hp N/A. Maybe Goatroper has dynoed something similar, and can comment.

26. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Speedtjones I have spent alot of cash with alot of different venders over the last few years building my Willys and I will say this: If you need a part for an Olds and Tony has it you won't go wrong buying from him. Not cheap but fair, top quality and excellent service. I met a couple Olds guys at the Jalopy Fest at Beaver Springs Pa. who have dealt with Tony and they both said the same thing. Good luck with your project.

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

why not use a 371 block?
    or if you want a 324 why use the iron tripower manifold?

28. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I was wondering that myself. 3X2 intakes for '49-'56 Olds engines have got to be the most common piece of obsolete speed equipment out there.

29. F&J

F&J

I do like the looks of a "stock" J2 with painted valve covers and stickers, and the only chrome would be on the seperate air cleaners. I think it would look good depending on the car style...and it would not cost a lot to look nice if you had a good 324. The iron intakes are usually cheap to buy.

What's a little more weight when dealing with an Olds motor:D

30. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

You can make 425hp out of a 324 +.030 with 9:5 to 1 on pump gas , our heads and what we call a 3/4 cam with a 650cfm 4bl

Now ....if you want to get serious and go to work :D

Tony

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010