Register now to get rid of these ads!

I've seen it all now...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capt. Zorro, May 4, 2008.

1. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

I was sitting with a buddy of mine at the awards ceremony at the Nats South today when one of his friends came up and told him his car was dripping some gas. When everything was over we went back to his car to get ready to leave. Checked the gas leak and it was dripping off the bell housing. Checked all the gas lines and none were around the bell housing. He had parked with the car sitting on an incline and hadn't moved it all weekend. The gas tank was higher than the engine. What had happened was that the float had stuck in the carb. Gas had filled the cylinders and leaked past the rings into the crankcase and filled the engine. His rear main seal was where the gas was leaking out. We checked the dipstick and it looked like there wasn't any oil in the engine. The gasoline had diluted the oil so much it wouldn't show on the stick. Called a rollback and took it home, hope it hasn't hurt the motor. It sure had us scratching our heads for awhile...glad he didn't try to start it, could have bent the rods, busted the pistons or went BOOM.

2. I remember hearing Wings call somebodys name about a truck leaking gas,,HRP

3. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Happened to my Harley, not once but twice. Had a bad petcock (weird name). Had to drain the crankcase and than fill it. Than ran it while pouring oil into it while the contaminated oil drained out. What a pain that was. Figured out why after the second time. Thought I was just absentminded and left it on the first time.

4. Brian from Angus had a post about this exact problem a week or so ago.....same thing.

5. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Thats funny right there :D:D:D
    Dave

6. what make of carb was it? holley?

7. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Yep, it was a Holley. Just been on there for about 20 yrs. you can't get anything that is worth a shit anymore.....

8. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

damn, that's a new one to me. never heard that before.

9. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I had a simular problem once with my '51 ply.. Only I was driving at the time. There was a loud explosion and the down pipe and muffler blew clean out of the car.

10. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Flathead ford fuel pumps will leak & fill the crank case. Been there & had it happen. Could not figure out why the oil was draining out of the breather vent on the pan.Drove it less than a mile before I caught it.Didn't hurt anything, so I was lucky.

11. joebuick

joebuick

i was actually at a bike show earlier today and my friend shut off a guys petcock and left a note on his harley to prevent that