Register now to get rid of these ads!

ive got blinker problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caletcb, Jan 25, 2013.

1. caletcb

caletcb
    from alabama

Working on my impala and i cant seem to get the blinkers to work properly. To make the blinkers blink you have to manually move the lever up and down. All the lights work as they should and the hazards flash also. Ive replaced the flasher and still no luck. Ive checked all the fuses and they are good also. The dash light even comes on but when the lever is pressed down the blinker just liggts up and doesn't blink. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Could be the switch inside the column is damaged. HRP

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

That's the symptom you normally see when ONE bulb has a broken filament. DD

4. x2...

5. Yeah,I overlooked the simple fix,,:rolleyes: HRP

6. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I assume you checked the bulbs ?

7. Might also check to see if the sockets are grounding properly. Had a socket that was loose in the housing, and it acted the same way.

8. txturbo

txturbo

The flasher needs enough bulbs lit up to make it flash.

9. mopar210

mopar210

did ya put led bulbs in it ?

10. 416Ford

416Ford

Did you check the correct flasher? One for the hazards and one for the flashers.

11. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

on my Daughters' 60 Impala ,I had to run a Ground wire to each of the bulb sockets to keep them working.you can test the Ground while the Blinker is on by using a piece of wire long enough to touch the back of the bulb socket then to the bumper or any other good steel location

12. A conventional flasher is basically an overloaded circuit breaker that trips and resets to make the signal flash. If a bulb is burned out or you have LED bulbs, it comes down to not having enough load on the circuit to trip it, so it just shines and doesn't blink. A bad ground on one of the turn signal lights would create the same problem--the bulb doesn't light up at all or lights up very dimly because of poor ground, so it doesn't put enough load on the flasher to trip it and make it blink.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Cars don't have blinkers, they have flashers and the lights are signal lights, they don't blink they flash.

Check the bulbs, next the flasher.

14. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Watch out, it's the terminology police....

15. In the USA they have blinkers.
    Flashers are those guys in the park with nothing under their coat.

16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Nobody has suggested to check the fluid?

17. Well... they must have something under their coat or else they wouldn't be flashing...

Always start with the bulbs. They can cause all sorts of odd problems. Check the regular flasher too. Most of them are on the fuse block and the 4-way is elsewhere. Listen for it under the dash. Obviously your 4-way is working.

Bob

18. boooooob

boooooob

Do the rear lights work when you apply the brakes........ they share the same filament of the bulb......they also make electronic flashers (don't depend on load) instead of bi-metal type..brake and turn signal circuits work together for that one wire.

boooooob:)

19. Or replacing the smoke.

20. x3 check the bulbs

21. caletcb

caletcb
    from alabama

The brake lights work and the hazards work so i.didnt bother checking the bulbs but i will first thing in the a.m. In Alabama we say blinkers

22. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

As said before, did you check both flashers? My second flasher was way up there behind the dash.

23. its all been said. but to sum it up. look for correct and additional flasher. check the bulbs, check to see if they each need a ground. or bad turn signal switch. i had that last one in an OT pickup i had.

24. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Y'all f+%#ing crack me up! Good shit!

25. spiders web

spiders web

Viseen!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

As others have said, check for a second flasher. Usually the hazard lights use a different flasher than the turn signals because there are more bulbs in the hazard circuit. What year is your car? Somebody might have one that the flasher works in so they can hear it and tell you where it is.

If that isn't the problem, check to make certain the correct [brightest] filament is lighting. If the socket ground is bad, the current will go through both filaments in the bulb and the tail light filament in another bulb to get to ground. This increases the resistance so the flasher doesn't draw enough current to flash.

27. ez to check with a test light and never leave the comfort of your car right at the fuse box ... if needed add a big mirror in front/ behind the car to help find culprit if you are alone .. or wire a horn instead of a bulb

or with the system dash / column ot on a bench
    this is the fun stuff:)

28. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

bulbs schmulbs. is your blinker fluid reservoir full?

29. The check I use is turn on your flashers look at all bulbs to insure that they are working. If so you have eliminited the bulbs and grounds.
    Terry aka dirt t

30. caletcb

caletcb
    from alabama

I replaced both flashers and checked bulbs still nothing. Must be ground or in the column