Register now to get rid of these ads!

I've got a piece of metal in my eye...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Funny story about a serious subject.....I had misplaced my safety glasses at the shop, and I needed to cut some stuff, so I brought a pair of those tinted safety glasses for yard work that Wally World sells from home. Used them for about a week before I noticed writing on the arm and thought "Hmmm....what does that say?" Turned out I was not using my cheap yard work glasses, I was using a pair of $100+ dollar Arnette sunglasses as safety glasses! Funnier thing was I've never bought a pair of Arnette sunglasses and had NO idea where they came from!

2. cavman

cavman

I've worn out more goggles than most will ever own, not cheap ones either, and still my eyes are like magnets for shit. I've had crap pulled out with needles, little tiny hook thingies that resemble seal pullers and tooth picks. Even had scar tissue removed with a tiny scissors.

I've had the drill treatment and that time the idiot said what ever was in there wasn't coming out so he went to get a senior (older, smarter) doc. The older guy looked into the slit light/magnafier, and said "You dumbass, you're trying to grind out the reflection of the filament of the machines lightbulb." No lie......Insult to injury, they sent me a bill.

20 years or so later, my vision in that eye is not right, never will be.

Get it taken care of soon!

3. 59 brook

59 brook

immediately go to the doctor or hospital emergency room trust me been there done that the metal is rusting against your eye. My doctor can still see the scar almost 20 year

s later

4. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I may get the prize for the dumbest way of getting a bit of metal in my eye: Years ago I was sharing a ratty old rented house which had a worn out knob in the tub/shower, and had to use a vise grip to turn it on and off. I was doing just that when a little bit of the brass shaft popped off and hit my left eye - luckily the water washed it out immediately... As far as bathroom injuries go, that's gotta be even rarer than having Norman Bates in drag stab you.

5. Hey Cyclops !!!...Howcum you stayed on the computer instead of IMMEDIATELY going to the emergency room ???...WTF ???

6. yea this is the correct thing to do. You can type later when you have had it removed.

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

when they have to pop your eye out of your head and set it on a tray next to your head to operate on it youll wish you had went sooner. believe me that is not fun at all!!!

8. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Been there done that and have several scratches on one eye to prove it, Go the the ER NOW!!!!!!

9. Gromit

Gromit

Glad I'm not the only one.. Had the "rusty eye".. used a magnet on that one,, the next they used a dremel :( not gonna let that happen again. Eye patch is no fun, especially in the summer the dressing gets sweaty and itchy.... eeeagh!

10. fbama73

fbama73

Eye protection, eye protection, eye protection!!!!!!!

Seriously, folks. You get one pair. If they're gone, you can no longer build cars, nor can you appreciate what other people build, either. Eye doctor told me last winter that I don't need glasses for distance correction, but I do need magnifying glasses for close-up stuff. I ordered a pair of bifocal safety glasses that have the upclose magnification that I need. I put on one pair of glasses when working and have protection and magnification. Took a face full of hydraulic fluid at work the other night- it sure was nice being able to see to clean the crap off of my glasses.

11. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Like many others have said; been there, done that and got the scar tissue on my eye to prove it. Get to the ER and have it taken care of ASAP and get some damn safety glasses man! Hope it gets better soon!

12. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

13. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Get to an optimologist, The biggest risk is infection. That could cause blindness.

Ago

14. Weasel

Weasel

I'm amazed that the OP even posted this before going to the ER. Had the metal in eye a couple of times and went to ER - now I always wear safety glasses when working with abrasive or cutting machinery or any kind of percussive device such as a BFH. Aircraft stripper in the eye is another 'interesting' experience too....

15. fordpatina

fordpatina

sorry to hear that. it hapen to me ones I got lucky that wasn't to deep I used a magnet and got it out after that I always use goggles

16. Heo2

Heo2

17. Good point.

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Sorry to hear that. Been there done that. But if it isn't a rusty piece of metal is it still traditional? Lippy

19. FANTM58

FANTM58

When I was younger an dumber , I had a shard in my eye.
    Didn't want to go to Dr,s , so I used a tooth pick,,,
    It worked,, but I don't recamend it,,,,

What the Hell was I thinking ???

20. Wear protective eye wear whenever you are grinding, dealing with fluids that can splash, or any time something can become airborne and float, flick or splash into your eyes. Worse case I ever had was mowing on a windy day and hit a green walnut. The fragments and spray from that walnut caught the wind and went right into my left eye. I abandoned the mower immediately and was under the faucet for 30 minutes before a neighbor came by. I asked him to go a mile back to his house and bring some eyewash. That helped, but didn't stop the sledgehammer-to-the-eye pain. Kept washing it for another hour under the tap. Eye doctor later that day said I was lucky, saved the eye with immediate action.

Wear eye protection, brother.

21. edweird

edweird

the doc. said he did that to me, but damned if i remember it.

22. edweird

edweird

when your buddys keep saying; YOU'RE THE ONE EYE LOVE, you'll get something done.

23. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

You can go to the doc, or if you are a real tuff guy you can pull it out with a needle nose. JC

Attached Files:

24. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

guys would get on the tool truck and bitch about a pair of 6.99 safty glasses, but you could always tell them to put a price on a eye and it would spin em down , man always wear protection

25. Fenders

Fenders

and (haven't heard it mentioned, wait til you are my age) EAR protection.

26. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Right there!

You can wear all the protection you want, and you should. Bits of steel in your clothes, hair and even your eyebrows will get you eventually.

27. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

i was wear glasses and a shield at the time,still got me!

www.themetalsurgeon.com

28. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Yeah, I went to the hospital, just a few little chunks in there. The doc carved it out with this little dremel tool thing. Gotta wait til tomorrow to get the rest of it carved out. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I'm gonna go pick up at least 3 pairs of safety glassses as soon as my eyes are back to normal!!! WEAR YOUR SAFETY EQUIPMENT!

29. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

It took about 3 and a half hours for it, after waiting and waiting some more. Definitely worth taking a second to put on some glasses/ Was kinda interesting to be in the hospital, my last time there was when I was born.

30. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

I've had metal get in my eye even wearing safety glasses and a welding helmet while grinding. It happens, get it out before it rusts in there. I've had a doctor dig through 7 layers of my eye to get a piece out before. Not fun.