Register now to get rid of these ads!

I've got a piece of metal in my eye...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Jul 3, 2012.

1. I got a small piece of metal in my eye last month and used a CLEAN shop magnet to pull it out. I figured that I got lucky and didn't got to the eye doctor. All seems to be well so far. If you cant get it out by yourself don't fuck around, go to someone that knows what they are doing. Good luck, Mitch.

2. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Go to the Doc. My wife just cut her eye, $55.00, a$4.00 prescription and a couple of days later..........everything's fine!

3. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I had a detached retna in my left eye in April of 2010. A lot of pain and recovery time , for months after the surgery I could not see at all out of the eye. It is better but I will never have great vision, take good care of your eyes. It scared the s--t out of me.

4. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

Avoid the ER if you can, go to an Optometrist / Ophthalmologist as soon as possible...Not only am I also a member of the "metal in your eye" club, I work for eye doctors. They know what to do...

Edit 7/4...
    I had said avoid the ER if you can because I find many ER doctors do not know how to use a slitlamp properly.

I said Optometrist as first choice because sometimes you need a referal from one to see an Ophthalmologist, it can depend on the scope of your "emergency" and an optometrist will diagnose you properly and can give you something to relieve the pain.

I have OD's in my territory that think nothing of removing foreign bodies themselves...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  5. budd

budd

wheres the pictures? i hope it all works out and it's not some crazy big bill you have to pay.

6. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

ive ued a magnet for small pieces, just watch for infection. no joke its worked a couple times for me. dont rub it at all. good luck

7. High5

High5

As the others have said. Get to emergency now.

Was using a die grinder and had a piece of metal imbed itself in the pupil of my eye. Doc used a scalpel and then tell's me "Don't blink". Man, that's an upleasant experience.

8. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Hi.
    Might try an opthamologist for your eye. Optometrist are not medical doctors. They just do glasses.

q tip works great if on top.

Good luck. Go to medical doctor.

9. carmuts

carmuts

Had the same thing happen to me six years ago. Eye doctor had to drill it out. 3 sessions of that was about more than I could stand. All of it is out, but still have a rust stain. It has caused me no problems. Rod

10. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Got a grinding flake in my eye last spring and I was wearing a face shield plus goggles plus glasses.
    Moral of the story? Buy good quality goggles - not the cheap ones.
    Don't mess with the eyes

11. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've had metal removed from my eye. Don't screw around get to the dr.

12. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

What he said!

13. Dyce

Dyce

I have a feeling your in the waiting room by now but..... I've pulled steel out of my eye using a magnet, I would suggest going to a doctor though. It only gets worst. It'll grow over and it will feel like someone is driving a nail half way through your head by morning. Been there a few times.

14. Beau

Beau

I'm AMAZED at the number of people who have had stuff in their eyes....

Seriously? I learned in like 4th grade to wear eye protection.

15. The_Monster

The_Monster

16. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I've gotten aluminum shavings from drilling 1/8" holes in boats for tarp snaps, they always stayed in a big piece and I could pull them out of my lower eyelid with my fingers thank god. I had safety glasses on the last time it happened as well.

17. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Been there! Went to the E.R. They put dye in my eye and looked at it thro some kind of scope thingy. Got lucky...doctor said I must have flushed it out with the eye wash I used but it was infected really bad (I didnt go right away, waited till the next morning and had to pry my eye open). The cocaine drops they put in my eye made it all worthwhile! They left the room and I'm looking around with my one good eye for where they set the bottle. Moral of the story...go to the doctor!

18. Beau

Beau

We like to use the face shields and goggles, glasses if there's nothing else.

19. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I've done this two times. The second time even though it was in there less than a day they had to sand away the rust after removing the small fragment.

I was wearing goggles but the piece found its way in anyway. It's a very odd thing. They give you eye drops to numb the eye and then pry the piece out with a needle. You can't really feel it but you can tell when the needle catches the eye and sticks momentarily.

Both times the pieces were very small. Not much bigger than a pin head.

20. You need a place with a split lense. Most urgent cares wont even touch this problem. Last time I was at the er I had to tell the damn P.A what to do. Numb my f***ing eye, put my head in your lap and dig it out with a 16 gauge needle. Anyway I stole the opthalmic tetracaine. Now i just do it at home with a sewing needle. The rust stain goes away in a few day. Long story short. Go to the hospital.

21. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

There are three things, as a man, that you've ALWAYS gotta protect....your eyes, your jimmy, and your corn hole.

22. metal in the eye... WOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!

both times i was wearing protection...

first time the ER plucked it with a needle and my doc got the rust ring the next day,

he second time, they had to drill...

i've NEVER been in so much discomfort as driving around with a freshly drilled eyeball trying to get a prescription filled at 2 in the morning.

the 2 days after that were no treat either. holy moly. i think id rather have been kicked in the junk repeatedly for two days.

hope you did the smart thing.

23. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Safety glasses over your eyes and a fire extinguisher in your car will save you lotso pain and trouble in the long run.​

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

This kind of stuff must be why the home improvement entertainment fools on TV wear safety glasses even just for ripping tissues in half. I don't think you are even suppose to cut cheese anymore without eye and ear protection.

25. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

safty glasses a must

26. deto

deto

Speaking of eye injury... I was walking around the shop with one of those vented squeeze bottles of acetone when I bumped into the lift post and shot a good blast of acetone into my eye. Took all day to get normal vision back.

Shit happens
    Wear glasses

27. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

and you stopped to post this on the internet?
    instead of going straight to Urgent Care?
    [​IMG]

28. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Wise Words to live by!!!

I would like to ad, protect your ball sack, the boys are pretty important also.:D

I had metal bounce off the inside of my safety glasses and into my eye, got the drill also. Now I use goggles and a faceshield.

29. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Get that taken care of soon. If you get an infection in your eye that could be very serious.

30. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This has happened to my husband twice and both times he had on safety glasses. I think it's one of those things that if you are working with metal it's going to happen. I hope by now that you've been to the E.R. the quicker you get it out the better. Waiting is just going to let the rust start and then you have another problem on your hands. Good luck to you.