Register now to get rid of these ads!

Its time to paint the rims-what color?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Jul 14, 2006.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Well guys, I just got my "new" plain steel wheels back from getting sand blasted. They are going to go on my 39 Plymouth (pictured) to replace the ugly ones already on the car. I will be reusing the tires, but will probably turn the blackwall out, instead of the raised white letters. There are chrome lug nuts, and will be no trim rings or caps. The car is black (with that aged look) and the seats are a light baige (also pictured).

The original thought was to paint them black, but now I'm thinking there may be too much black, maybe some color might be cool. Thought maybe a tan or a "almond" to match the seats might be OK, but the wife doesn't think that would be good. This is going to be my best rattle can paint job (which will have a few runs thrown in, cause thats what I do.)

So what color should I paint the wheels.
    Gene

Attached Files:

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

3. XSCOOTERX

XSCOOTERX
    from Brier,Wa.

4. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I think copper would be a good choice too. Maybe blue, but for you it should at least be Petty Blue. LOL

5. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Does copper paint hold up, or will it look like shit in a month or two?

Blue? My 50 4x4 is now blue, that's a lot of blue.....
    Gene

Attached Files:

6. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I agree , a gold, copper or rootbeer would be a good choice.

7. socal_wrench

socal_wrench

A light metalic root beer will look great on that and still compliment the int.

Light on metalic not in color

8. Bugman

Bugman

I'm not a big fan of metallics on wheels, so I say Tan with a black pinstripe(or black with a tan pinstripe). or red. but green is the new red, and yellow is the new green, so yellow it is... :D

9. copper w/ a tan pinstripe on the outside. :)

10. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Copper paint will hold up as well as anything else...it mostly comes down to how well the surface is prepped. A few good coats over a nice, clean surface oughtta hold up fine.

(I like the copper w/ tan pinstripe idea, too!)

11. Call me traditional, but I still like red.

12. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

THE LIGHT METTALICS OR THE WHITE/ALMOND BOTH SOUND GOOD TO ME, I VOTE A CREAM/ALMOND COLOR, BUT I THINK YA NEED TO RE~THINK THE USE OF THEM TIRES.

THINK ABOUT SOME ORIGINAL STYLE FIRESTONES OR ?? THE WIDE OVAL LOOK IS STILL ONLY COOL ON '70s STYLE VANS !! :D

OHH YA, ONE MORE THING .... PLEASE DONT DO THE ROCK~A~BILLY RED .. THAT IS SO PLAYED OUT ITS SICKENING.

13. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

GOLD! Accent the dash and car later in some Gold pin-stripes oh yea.

14. steevil

steevil

another vote for a light tan/Almond color.

15. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Black, Red, or Slimer Green

I'm not a fan of neutral colors, and my idea of the perfect hotrod is black, blackwheels, and blackwalls. So call me crazy.

16. Domn8r

Domn8r
    from Helena, MO

17. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

18. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

A few possibilities.:) :D

19. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

gold with red pindtripe

20. gbgh

gbgh

Hugger orange! If you're gonna step off take a big step!

21. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Half of each wheel Black and Half White

22. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

The only thing about the copper is, it turns green after awhile.:D

23. HUGGER!!! :eek: I think you meant HEMI orange.... geez!!:mad:;)

24. Black...high gloss...without the stock hubcaps...or maybe with a set of spidercaps...or............:D

25. KoppaK

KoppaK

This is a traditional message board right? Then Red, bodycolour, or trim colour at a push!! In that order.

26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

cream/lite tan.but use wall mart 99 cent spray cans.change em every week or so!

27. Squablow

Squablow

I'm with Primerkid, they need to be black. If you absolutely have to use those tires, consider doing a sidewall grind job to make yourself some whitewalls. Or at least turn them out for blackwalls as a second choice.

If you don't like the wheels in one color, it'll be easy to repaint them, so keep that in mind.

I didn't know you had a '39 Plymouth. Probably my favorite pre-war Mopar design. Love those crazy headlights.

28. 19Fordy

19Fordy

RED, RED, RED is the only color that will look the best.

29. brandon

brandon

i'm doing mine in '32 harley davidson green ......with 41 caps....brandon

30. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Choice on the tires is: new tires or the HAMB Drags. I'm going to the Drags. The tires are still good, so either blackwall out, or white lettering out.

The first real choice on the wheels would be chrome reverse with moons, but its been a tough year so far and I've spent way too much on this car already.

I think the red wheels have been over done, but the dash is red... and the slime green ain't my style.....orange?????

The metalic rootbeer might be cool, but can that be bought in a spray bomb? Is it hard to make spray bomb metalic look good? I really do suck at painting....

I've got all the stainless for along the body sides, maybe I should throw them back on? Oh yea, I've covered up the primmered spot on the fender, its black again, shitty job, but covered.

I'm kinda liking the tan/almond with the pin stripe...or maybe the black with the side trim back on? That root beer with the striping might be cool too. How much does it cost to get a set of wheels striped? I had a race car one time we painted the outside rims one color and the centers a different color, that looked pretty good... Keep em coming guys, this is probably going to have to happen this week. All the rims are sand blasted clean right now.
    Gene