Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's Terrific When A Thing Works.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D Picasso, Feb 22, 2016.

1. D Picasso

D Picasso

Negative, doggone it, even after obtaining parts to rebuild the fuel/vac pump, rebuilding the pump and replumbing the system, only to see the wipers move maybe 1/64" further than they had previously. That's the opposite of terrific. Disappointing! I thought and believed the wipers would leap up like frogs in a dynamite pond but instead they lay there like frog legs on a restaurant plate in Florida.

While I hate to judge before the all the facts are in, it appears the likelihood of reviving the wipers exists on a very low order of probability. I think the proper response at this stage is to put my hands up in the air and wave 'em around like I just don't care.

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vacuum motors can be fun. I played with a few 40 Ford wiper motors and did all of the above with less than satisfactory results-worked fine until blades were installed then would barely move with water squirted on the glass. Sent one off the Wiper man in New York. When I got it I tried to stop it by hand-near impossible to hold it--worked great with a small vacuum reservoir.

3. indyjps

indyjps

Stephen King - From a Buick 8, read it, it might just be about your car. Check out the liner notes on the book King points out another author for detective stories of similar genre, I've read those as well based off his recommendation in the book, they're good.

Sorry can't help on the vacuum wiper situation. I've been reading up on threads that convert to late model wiper motors for multi speed and delay, sourced from junkyards. Haven't gotten around to trying one. Let me know if your interesting in going that route.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  4. indyjps

indyjps

5. D Picasso

D Picasso

I read a worthwhile account a day or so back of that very thing- a fellow robbed a rear wiper motor and control unit from a Jeep Cherokee and fabbed it up to fit his old vehicle and it works like a charm.
    Seems a tempting project with very little cash outlay, which is my second favorite kind of outlay.