Register now to get rid of these ads!

Its Jan 1, 2012 ..... New Years Day ..... come on banger boys, its time to play

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stovebolt, Dec 31, 2011.

1. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

That Ansen intake is awesome. Been considering to get one...
    Your little bad boy will surely go like a stink!

-Pasi

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hmmm...soooooo...anyone got a complete cross drive mag set up for a T motor that they are interested in parting with?

anyone over in england want to ship me a RHD hogshead complete with pedals, an early aluminium one would be great so i can save on shipping.

sorry for the late christmas wish list...

3. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Alum. Hogshead????
    Did they make LHD out of alum.?

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yep, all pre-ww1 T's had ally hogs heads. the first '08/09 cars had 2 pedals to boot.

5. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Uhh... Not sure if im out of place but im trying to find some performance parts for a 1928 171... Any ideas?

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

If you mean a 1928 Chevrolet 171ci four, I think you'll want to check out this thread.

-Dave

7. Guys just a question, i've gotten onto a '39 trans for a very good price and in mint condition too. I want to retain the banger, and am not quite sure how to adapt a '39 trans to the model a. I have found this info from another thread..

So is it as simple as this? I'm still not entirely sure. Anyone have any pics?

8. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

9. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Ive read it, im looking for a place to find parts though. yes its a 171

10. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Not much out there for chevys. The Jern Thunderbolt pieces are a bout it. Intackes and headers can be fashoned at home pretty easily. If you or someone you know dose aluminum casting at home, plugs for side cover etc. are easy to make with wood .

Ron

11. Here is some information on older Mallory equipment, I think point setting information should apply to Mallory dual point distributors. It worked for me, nit pickers! If you can't scan and blow them up pm me your email and I will make them really big. First 2 are out of order but at 75 what do you nit pickers expect. Serious people will appreciate them! If you do blow them up you will find out how Mallory explains the operation and reason for dual points.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  12. Thanks Bill, that'll be a BIG help :)!!!

Cutlassboy68- there's not much out there beyond the Olds 3 port head (although BHT8BALL and ebtme3 have done some very nice work as of late).

I'm hoping to have some parts made, but that's a little ways off. Maybe we can meet up at the next Charlotte Auto Fair and swap ideas?

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Well, pardon me. :rolleyes:

If you've read it, then you probably already know that there's not much modern support for them outside of the restoration market and what you can build at home/have built.

-Dave

14. On the 39 trans. use any stock early V8 clam shell (u joint) housing. Don't cut any thing before you try it, I'm assuming you are planning on running the A rear end.

15. Bill,

I am currently using all original Model A running gear, from the radiator to the diff. I have gotten onto a mint merc '39 box and would like to run that instead of the original model a one.. I was planning on using the Model A one and if i didn't like it i'd swap it, but it seems like while the chassis is still easily accessed without a body it seems easier to just install it now.

The gearbox i've gotten onto has the all the clutch parts, shifter, box itself, rear mount and uni joint and the uni housing. The only problem is that they are a different shape to the model a gearboxes aren't they?

In saying that, i work in a fab shop and we do have thick steel and aluminium plate around.. would i be able to easily make an adapter plate of some sort? Like drill a locating hole through the middle of the plate and trace the '39 and model a box bolt patterns and shape on one side each and drill and cut to shape. Would that work?

16. 97

If you are going to the trouble of a trans swap why not just go straight to an overdrive box .
    A V8 box still has no synchro in first, and a huge gap from 2nd to 3rd. All you gain is synchro in 2-3 and back again and a bit stronger box .
    If you can make an adapter for the V8 box you can make one for a T5 or similar.

17. The advantage of using the store bought adapter is that it retains the proper spacing or dimensions so you can still have the pedals on the proper place. Throw out bearing, trans to rear end spacing. The early V8 trans has the bell housing as part of it. I have no doubt but that you could figure it out but I for one have enough projects. I wouldn't cut the ears off because they make good places to hang stuff from although removing them make a cleaner looking driveline. Think about exhaust pipe hangers for instance

18. The general shape is the same. The 38 39 Lincoln Zephyr side shift's look different.

19. 97

From this end of the world it's easier to go direct to the manufacturer of the bellhousings in NZ
    www.macsspeed.com

20. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Ya sure thing man, Ill be making an intake and exhaust here soon for it, My buddy wants to try to get 100hp out of the motor... and im really trying to figure out how...

21. Cutlass, post on the Chevy thread- I'm sure that the guys will help you get there... or at least a little closer :)

22. callcoy

callcoy

I have this posted on the other Jan, Banger site so I posted it here also.<o:p></o:p>
    I thought that you Banger guys would like to hear about a &#8220;Tech Tour&#8221; I was able to put together two weeks ago. Our club the Sonoma A&#8217;s hosted this year&#8217;s MAFCA Awards Banquet in Santa Rosa CA, a four day event . MAFCA , the Model A Club of America holds their annual Membership Meeting in different locations each year. California has a law that states a membership meeting has to have 51% of the membership present in order to be called a membership meeting. So only in our State the event is called an Awards Banquet. The event was over Saturday evening, the 3rd, Sunday Dec. 4<SUP>th</SUP> was to be a travel day so we contacted the attendee&#8217;s and offered them a special tour if they could stay over another day.
    I have provided a link to Photobucket where there are approx. 130 photos. Many of you will never have an opportunity to visit these locations let alone in one day. We were very fortunate to have the individuals open their shops and donate their Sunday to let a group of 40 car lovers prowl around their shops and cars.

The first stop was Vern Tardel&#8217;s Flathead Ranch, a favorite of Ryan Cochran and 1950&#8217;s traditional Hot Rod enthusiasts. Vern opened his shop to our group and answered any and all questions, the group scattered like a covey of quail, just too much to see, and too many questions ,a real enthusiast&#8217;s overload. Vern spent time explaining 39 trans conversions, V-8 clutches, F-1/F-100 steering mods and Hyd. Brake systems for the Model A crowd. He added a couple of his old friends Kent Fuller and Ed Bingelli. Kent is the well known FED car builder from the late 50&#8217;s and 60&#8217;s, built some many of the famous dragsters of the period, Greer, Black and Prudomne, Tommy Ivo&#8217;s cars, The Magwinder , The Shark Car etc. (http;//www.standard1320.com) Ed was a well known speed shop owner (Bing&#8217;s) who built and raced a giant killer flathead powered F/Gas Willys. Between the three of them we could have sent a couple of days talking and listening to the history of earlier drag racing.
    Vern had a number of 32 roadsters and a A roadster under construction for the group to view along with his Bonneville blown flathead roadster. His yard has a never ending collection of early Ford iron, several attendee&#8217;s left with new accucesions. The many photos really don&#8217;t do justice to what is there to see. By the way, Ed Pugh shown in the pictures makes the snazzy thermo housing/outlet for A/B type engines along with the direct A to T-5 trans adapter.
    We then traveled down to visit Steve Nelson&#8217;s Ranch, Steve set the world&#8217;s record this Aug. at Speed Week up at Bonneville. He has a drop tank Lakester powered by an overhead converted Model B engine on alcohol. He now holds the record at 194.750, made a pass at 196+ mph. Steve has been collecting, building and racing cars at Bonneville for years. Has built his and hers T speedsters and several other T&#8217;s and an A that they use for touring. Thru the years he has collection a number of overheads for both T&#8217;s and A&#8217;s along with an assortment of related speed equipment which was on display.

Steve invited friend and fellow Bonneville Racer, Greg Martinez who races a drop tank Lakester but with a blown flathead on both gas and fuel. Greg holds the worlds records in both gas at 157.098 and fuel at 153.333. We really owe Greg a big thank you as he lives in San Francisco where he keeps the car, but stores his trailer an hour and a half away in Sonoma. He spent approx 6 hours transporting in order to make his car available for viewing. Greg has a massive collection of Model A/B speed equipment and was able to display a portion of his holdings at Steve Nelson&#8217;s. Both Steve and Greg were free with their time and answered every question fielded.

We broke for lunch of gourmet hand prepared hot dogs with ranch reserve beans, served with a sparkling beverage. We were fortunate as the weather had warmed up and seating was out of doors in front of Steve service station. Steve Straw, the No. Cal. sparkplug for F.A.S.T. the 4-Banger performance and hill climb national club, explained what the group was all about and answered questions about membership and meetings. Both Steve Nelson and Greg Martinez are members.

After lunch Dema Elgin conducted a seminar on the compatibility of improvements to the Model A engine. Dema a college instructor of internal combustion technology for three decades is a cam profiler and grinder to the vintage, NASCAR, aircraft and racing interests. His discussion was well received and opened some new doors to those in attendance.

The Tech Tour was used as a vehicle to raise funds for the Model A Museum, thru the Model A Ford Foundation Inc. or MAFFI. They are scheduled to break ground in the spring on the Gilmore Car Museum Campus. I am not able to title all the photos but did label a few of those of individuals that contributed and donated their time to make this a great success. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k621/callcoy/Tech Tour/

23. How much is a T5 around this side of the world though? Also, i don't want to end up doing an open drive conversion or anything like that. I want to keep it simple by using a '39 trans.

Hey Bill,

I forgot to mention, i'm using '40 pedals in a seperate housing so thats not an issue as far as the pedal shaft goes.

I really don't know much about the mechanical side of manual gearboxes and clutches / throw out bearings ect.. so thats why i asked about a spacer plate and whether the thickness would affect it.

24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks for the write up of the tour. Wish I could have joined in!!!!

25. I know this will bring a spanking, but it only applies to Banger Folk.
    I have cam blanks available in std and 1.75 bearing size.
    8620 mat'l, will need copper plating and heat treating as well as your favorite grind profile.
    I will have the nuts, hex drive soon also.

If interested, PM here on this site.

Thanks, John

Attached Files:

26. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

x2...

27. If you have these items I would suggest you lay them out and compare. You will see that the A bellhousing will no longer be needed. The adapter takes the place of it and retains proper clearance for the clutch and maintains the proper distance for the throwout bearing which releases the clutch on this older type of transmission .

28. That's good. Now all the rest of you HAMB banger fans have to do, is get on of these; and send them to Jim Brierly or Dema Elgin. You'll have an A or B that will really step out.:)

29. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

figured I should ask here too...any recomendations on a machine shop in San Diego/ SoCal? need to have some valves and seats dropped into a T motor.

30. Taylor Engine, in Whittier, has all the stuff you'd need. I know of nothing in San Diego.:eek: