Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods It's getting dangerous out there!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

On top of that having a cell phone jammer could earn you jail time.

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

We are required by Federal law to use a hands free device in the semi trucks, I have a blue tooth headset with a boom style microphone. I can and have sat there driving for hours on end talking on that headset, and I've never ran over anybody or even came close. On the other hand, if I'm in one of my personal vehicles, I can't hardly drive and hold the phone to my ear, it's just too distracting. With the headset, I still have the mobility of my head to turn, I'm not locked into position by my arm holding a phone.
    But we all know people who can't chew bubblegum and walk at the same time, they are the ones on the phones that cause all the trouble. Most of them have a hard enough time driving anyway, throw a phone into the equation and it all goes to shit.....

seb fontana likes this.
  3. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

But the freedom to smoke hi-octane maryjane is legal

4. Bechtel 56

Bechtel 56

A large trailer hitch sticking out the back helps...low speed at least

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whew...close one, Danny. You definitely need a break from these mishaps.
    Lets see...you got t-boned in the van, then fell and broke your shoulder, then that dumb turkey flew into your radiator last thanksgiving, then...

6. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Just pulled my race car trailer from Northern Ohio to Indy and back. A harrowing experience for sure. Drivers are inconsiderate. The laws and best practices are completely ignored. Saw Truck Drivers texting and passing on the right. Seems worse around major cities. I'm not one to preach or tell people what to do but don't get me caught up in you're mess.

7. robracer1

robracer1

In GA. when the cell phone law started so did the dark window tinting business. Its a good idea to avoid driving through Atlanta, but if you have to the weekend days are your best bet, but not at night too many drunks.

dirty old man likes this.
  8. mrchewie

mrchewie

That day may be closer than we think.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. We have in NY what is known as Sunday drivers. It is actually an old term for people that walked to work, took the bus and drove only to church on Sundays. Now they are most likely commuters who take the train all week and are not accustomed to highway speeds. They struggle at 50 or 55 and the world goes by them at 70 and 80. Just about any Saturday and Sunday they are out in force.

robracer1 likes this.
  10. We have them in the hills of California. Either granny and gramps putting along leaf peeping or the yuppie city folks going 80 in their Beemers heading for the ski slopes.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I ran some errands yesterday and had to stop for several red lights..When they turned green for me I had to wait for the cars going through on their red..As many as three, getting worse by the day..

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I like to scare 'em, floor it and try to hit 'em. I mean, the light is green right? Gotta act like ya mean it, fun as hell. Always wakes 'em up a bit.

13. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

I don't think the DUI penalties are stiff enough and I consider hand held cell phone use in the same category considering how dangerous it is and what a wide spread problem it has become. Do either in my world and you can park the car and walk.

kbgreen and olscrounger like this.
  14. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

You are right.

15. It's been dangerous. I've driven a van as a daily for years and the number of people who have to pass you so they can get to the same light 10 seconds sooner is nuts. I've seen people pass on the shoulder just to get by, I was once almost t-boned in a parking lot by a guy who zoomed across the parking rows at an angle, and I even had a lady make an abrupt right turn from the left lane, in front of me to pull into a parking lot. Blew out a weak brake line once because a guy with a rollback cut me off, too.

The average driver is a moron, impatient and in a hurry, and you have to presume all drivers are average.

That's why when I make long drives I come home on back roads with little traffic.

egads likes this.
  16. GTS225

GTS225

Maybe, just maybe, what we need is for North Korea to do an atomic airburst over us, and the EMP would throw us all back into the electronic dark ages.
    That would kill electronic ignition, cellphones, computers, satellittes, cable tv, all of it. Then we could start over, with the knowledge of where it leads, and make the corrections before they become a problem.

Roger

swervyjoe and 46international like this.
  17. Yea....that’s the solution.....careful what you wish for.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. Some of you posters are getting off topic when you talk about about the Sunday drivers and the grannies. Thats a whole different scenario.At least they are alive and one day you will be one of them.Go for a drive,have a good day.

F&J likes this.
  19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I had posted earlier, that by the limited info we have of the original incident, the "Cell Phone Girl" may Not have been at fault or at least totally at fault.
    That fact does not fit the narrative though.:rolleyes:

This seems to be prevalent in this day and time.
    Lets take an incident that's at best unclear....sensationalize it.....throw in a lot of emotion and pass a laws we don't want.

Everybody loves numbers so here are some.

From 1958 to 1975....
    58,318 American Servicemen were killed in Vietnam. This number is tragic. This number in our collective memory of waste and tragedy.
    The dead on American Highways from 1958 to 1975 is estimated to be...

Right now as far as traffic deaths per year....
    We are at Pre-War levels...Pre-War as in the 1941-1945 conflict....WWII!

That's nearly 8 decades! This is incredible!
    The deaths per year peaked in the late 70s early 80s with 50,000 plus per year dying on American Highways.

Driving on the highway....
    From 1958 to 1975....
    Your chances of dying on the Highway was almost 15 times greater than dying in a War Zone.
    Driving on the road is more dangerous than combat. It always has been.

20. Here in Silicon Valley 99.3% of drivers are F'ing Idiots.

21. mountainman2

mountainman2

Bad Math!:oops:

22. Does that include the ambulance hauling you to the hospital?

23. I guess someone has to be the one to make a silly comment. You know what I meant.

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It isn't hands or eyes that are the problem. It's the brain being occupied by something else that causes the problems.

25. morac41

morac41

You guys think it only happens in USA ...Australia is no different..same as "wojojo" comment

26. Only 99.3? You must live in the safe driver zone.

27. Mike

Mike

Yes, I agree they are all distractions. I dropped the ball on my last post ( at work and in a hurry to get it posted) and was not clear about the distinction / difference between most other driving distractions and cell phone use while driving.

It is mainly the nature of the distractions that creates a distinction / difference. Most driving distractions are momentary or very short term. Cell phone use while driving is a prolonged distaction, often lasting the entire drive.

Because of the prolonged nature of cell phone use while driving, the frequency in which it occurs, and the frequency in which it causes accidents, it is clearly the single biggest distracted driving threat in our country. Because of this, I do not have an issue with it being singled out for stricter legal penalties and enforcement

28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Why should one form of distracted driving be singled out? Or more to the point why does it need specific legislation? The argument seems to be, that somehow, law enforcement couldn't previously write a ticket for cell phone use unless and until legislation was enacted to specifically prohibit that particular activity. I call BS on that. Because it IS bullshit.

There's way too much "all or nothing" these days. A short phone call isn't going to hurt anything. Hands free use, may be OK too. Being able to multi-task is important. Now texting is crazy. Some people, maybe they can't handle even a phone call, and that's OK. But, they probably shouldn't be driving in the first place. And there's the real problem in a nutshell.

One person shits their pants, and we all gotta wear diapers.

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my clients lost his job as a CDL truck driver a couple weeks back prior to loan closing. The company he works for has cameras in the cabs. The cams are motion activated so a swerve, bump, hard on the brakes, riding the bot dots, etc, triggers the camera evidently to come on and the home office gets to see what you are doing at that time. Eating, smoking, cell phone, whatever. He got 2 warnings he decided not to heed. Third time your out. No house for him.

Truck64 likes this.
  30. It's bad here in Michigan too. Have even see John Law doing it. Technology exists to disable devices when a vehicle is put in motion (exceptions could be made for emergency/911 calls) but the service providers are probably reluctant to do it for fear of losing $$$$/customers. There would have to be 100% compliance by them. But then of course there'd be some whiner who cries infringement of their rights! Can't win, just gotta be extra careful. :(:oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.