Register now to get rid of these ads!

Its been six years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jcapps, May 12, 2013.

1. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

My good friend Tom McCoury passed away six years ago last week. Many know him as the man who put the Buick Wagon body on the four motor car after he bought it from Tommy Ivo. One of the top exhibition cars of all time. I got to spend long over due time today with his widow, Linda. What a great afternoon reminiscing about a man with a great big heart. I miss him
    [​IMG]

2. They say time heals everything. They are wrong. Sorry for your loss.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I saw the car at I-20 Dragway in Tyler, Tx sometime in 83; at the time, it was lettered up with Ivo's name, but some other driver was at the wheel. They made 3 passes, only one that stayed in the correct lane through the run. Course they wiped the tires with kerosene before the run, under the pretense of cleaning the tires, in order to get a smokey run out of it. Entertaining, but other that, a lot of hype and generally a letdown. Hard, old style tires would have made for a better show, but they were using wrinkle wall slicks way over-inflated. Saw the car later on in a car show, and the static display was far better getting to see the car up close. Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

jcapps, is that the same body that Merle Rhoads painted in his La Mesa shop before he moved to Scottsdale, I remember seeing it there but don't know if Ivo owned it or if it had been sold by then.

5. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Tom no longer owned it then. Google some pictures, he told me he saw nothing the first 400 feet once he let it go.........

6. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Ivo sold it and Tom came up with the body. Prudhomme first drove the car, then Tom McCoury, then tom bought it from Ivo and put the body on it and toured it as an exhibition vehicle.
    All four wheels smoking was a sight.