Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's as bad as it looks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1/2done, Dec 19, 2009.

1. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

way beyond, my ass! obviously if you can do what you did so far anything is possible! very nice work! cant wait to see it rollin!

2. Jake H.

Jake H.

WOW.

Now I gotta' figure out how to subscribe to a thread. Because you, sir, are an inspiration!

My '39's trunk lid got punched at the handle, and is really wrinkled. Inner structure is still usable, so I'm lucky. I may have to try out one of those magical shrinking discs like you have.

Again. Nice save. I love to see good old American determination at work.

3. Just read the whole thread. I'd say it is beyond a Scat Rod now, and way beyond the crushing. I think it is safe to say she's been saved. Inspiring job.

4. Dirk35

Dirk35

I cannot wait to see some more progress.

5. S.F.

S.F.

Lookin good man!

6. tinmann

tinmann

First time I've seen this thread..... so I had to read it front to back. Excellent progress on a car that would have been a throwaway to most. I look foward to checking back to see future progress.

7. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work I never realized that this was even possible. Thanks for showing some very amazing body work. I have a 46 chopped coupe that was done in 1960 that never was finished.(stick welds) I bought it to keep it from going to the crusher. If I live long enough I will get to it.

8. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Just saw this one for the first time and read through. Wow. I've done a decent amount of bodywork, and based on what I've seen here I'd have to say that if this is bodywork than what I've done is more like a monkey swinging a sledge.

Excellent, awesome work. You definitely have the skills to make this car anything you want it to be. Might take some time, but it always does.

Keep up the good work!

9. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Somehow, I don't think its beyond your capabilities. Great work.

10. I am humbled! I gotta try a shrinking disc, I cant believe what you did with the roof!

11. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Ain't that a shame. They make a sweet ride !

12. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Wow ! I didn't see the whole thread when I posted above. You certainly are doing a fantastic job. They are a great driver.

13. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Not much getting done right now. Had to turn the heat in the garage off. $500 electric bills tend to suck.

14. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

great thread,doin one hellofajob,

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man you have to chop that thing, a well chopped 40 is such a good looking thing. You just cant do a 'standard' type chop, you realy need to lay the back down and not chop the rear windows. Kinda like this.........
    [​IMG]

Or this one......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Project looks like it is coming along just fine. I noticed that the rear fenders have teardrop tail lights I always thought the 39-40 had the chevron style lights. I like the teardrop look.

17. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I think only the 40 had chevrons. I think 37(?)-39 had teardrop.

18. big creep

big creep

fucken amazing to me how some of you have this kind of talent, i feel worthless!

19. I wish I had you to shape metal for me. It would be a lot easier to do the finish work after you got done. You sir have got skills. It absolutely amazes me some of the cars people on here take on and how good the quality of the metal work is. Don't ever question yourself, you know what you are doing.

20. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Hey to Goober!

I spent some time in the garage today making working room and scrubbing more rust with phosphoric acid. Then I spent a little time studying the 1/4 panels. I need to replace from the belt line down, fender to door on both sides. I think I'm going to cut a square piece large enough to get the panel out of, wheel it to the contour I need and cut it to fit.
    We'll see.

Special Sam likes this.
  21. horace urrey

horace urrey

so far this is the greatest work i have seen done and i once lived near one of the big $ restorers and saw them do work on carcasses like this and 90 % or that cab would have been new panels because they couldnt straighend them. you SIR are an amazing talent

22. Toner283

Toner283

Awesome. Looking forward to more.

23. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Wow, cool to see you're sticking with that project.
    Rust is ok, but I don't like dents,
    especially that many!
    The workmanship looks great from over here!

I'm in $ocal,
    and sometimes consider holing up in some barn in oregon or minnesota somewhere,
    just working on my stuff.
    You definitely put the reality into that idea!

The finished product of that black 40 came out ok,
    but you have far better skills and or equipment than this one had during its operation.
    (not to knock the owner/builder - really nice guy)
    The channel was done with the "cut on the belt line, slide down until looks good, tack or braze,
    and lead the seam" method.
    The chop/hood had a similar method.
    It was actually cool to see how stuff was done back than,
    before the perfectly metal finished era!
    Regardless,
    I'd rather see a custom car with good lines,
    than a metal finished car that looks bad!

As to holding off chopping it,
    I'd chop it as soon as the body is square enough too,
    rigid on the frame if possible. (unlike mine!)
    It really stimulates wanting to work on the car,
    seeing an outline of the finished product at least.
    plus its fun to do.

TP

24. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I decided to strip the doors and hang them to check fit before I went any further. Glad I did.
    The left door fits decent.
    The right door is a different story.

The gap at the rear is wide enough at the top a small child could fall out and tapers to a tight fit at the bottom. I'm guessing this buckle somehow widened the top of the opening although I don't know how since the weld at the post didn't break. I guess my next move is going to be cut the 1/4 loose at the roof again unless someone else has a better idea?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  25. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Thanks Travis. Seeing what you've done with what little you started with makes this very high praise....

26. Ebert

Ebert

1/2 Done,

You are one ballsy, talented guy! AWESOME what you are doing!!!
    E

27. I am guessing it has something to do with the buckle.

28. Maybe the car was always like that . These old cars did not have Quality Controll in those days . A friend of mines father said , I quote (you young fellas make me laugh , trying to get perfect gaps in cars that never had them in the first place ) . I have noticed in my projects that there is more truth to that than you know . Just a thought . By the way 1/2 done you are doing some amazing work bringing back this great looking coupe . Those shrinking discs really work that well ? Andy...

29. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Used in combination with a slapper and dolly, yes they do.

Haven't got much of an update. I started working on the 1/4s. I made a paper pattern, then wheeled a panel and cut it to rough shape. It's pretty close now. Soon as I'm happy with it I'll cut the bad metal out and start welding the new panel in.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017