Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's as bad as it looks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1/2done, Dec 19, 2009.

1. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I got the lower corner made and took it over for a test fit. It looks like he'll need the whole bottom of the lid so I'm going to make it in 3 pieces.
    1807.JPG

I was thinking more about mine today. It's pretty screwed up so I'm going to make a rebar frame for a bondo buck using my lid and try to borrow a good lid to make the actual casting, then make a complete skin. I hope.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Great job so far man! your tackling what most of us here would run screaming from. You have some skills!

3. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm not doing anything you guys couldn't do as well or better, I'm just motivated by poverty!

I started working a little more on the deck lid and I'm starting to think I can save it. I cut the rotten inner structure out to gain better access and get rid of lots of rust. I will have to make the lower lip and a new inner structure but most will still be Henry steel. I have part of the lower left side fairly straight at this point other than the lip.

As far as the lip, I made a bottom section for my buddy in 3 sections he could cut/weld/fit to his lid. I guess I can make another one.

Try to ignore the metal finishing, I didn't do much since he's going to rust them to match the rest of the lid.

4. hasty

hasty

Wow, very inspiring!

5. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I'd second that---ratrods suck.

badgascoupe likes this.
  6. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

it is turning out nice! with a fire and sheet metal it depends on how it was cooled. just like tempering. if they sprayed it with water when red hot it will be hard and brittle if left to cool off slowly alot softer. good job.

7. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I haven't done much lately. I've been busy closing down my business, started turning wrenches again.
    I think things happen for a reason, be it good or bad. I wasn't really looking for 40 parts, I was spending too much time getting outbid at the last second for Whizzer parts on Ebay. But I figured what the hell and searched "40 Ford". At the top of the list was a pair of auctions for rear fenders. They had BIN of $225 and $325 or opening bids of $100 with no reserves. I watched them go without bids for the week and the morning they were to end I placed bids for each and left for work. If I got them fine, if not oh well. My Blackberry chimed at 9:50 and I figured it was an outbid notice. No. It was informing me that I won both auctions and there were no other bids. So for $200 plus gas to Michigan I brought home a pair of rear fenders that need very minor repair.
    utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjctMjAxMDEyMTgtMTYyOC5qcGc.JPG
    I now have a complete body.

quickrack-alan and WillyKJr like this.
  8. Good for you! I will take luck every time.

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

sometimes stuff just goes your way.lookin good

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Watching this one! Subscribed!

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like a great eBay story. Nice to have an update on this project. Merry Christmas!

12. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Man! I wish I hard your metal working skills....

13. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Amazing work, i would have definatley walked away from that one! just goes to show if you know what your doing, anythings possible. looking forward to updates.

14. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

way to go

Man ...

nice job !

its a great one to save with all the hard work you are doing.

LIKE all the rest have said ,you have some skills...

Don't short yourself ON THAT ...

15. Rem

Rem

Well, I'd say you earned your luck with the fenders. Great work so far.

16. Ob1

Ob1

Gotta name the car Phoenix...

17. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

You have worked wonders with this car. I have watched your progress and I am amazed with the progress after seeing the condition of it when you started. Very nice job. This car is gonna be cool.

18. good to see your still on this.

19. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Been in your EXACT spot not long ago. Everything happens for a reason. Couple notes, The chain steering wheel on the English wheel is just soooo bad ass. Being resourceful is one of my favorite things. Thats EXACTLY how you do ebay. You bid on enough of them and you will be an owner at the right price. And my favorite, all the guys you know that are thinkin "He cant fix that!" or "What the hell?!?!" are the best motivations a guy could ever have. Keep it up. Jesus saves and so do REAL hot rodders!

badgascoupe likes this.
  20. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

love the inspiration I'm getting from this. I'm broke as hell too!

21. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Guys, I really appreciate the encouragement. It helps more than you know.
    I was looking at the 1/4s after I got it up on boards and jackstands and they have a slight buckle making it so the fenders don't fit.
    utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzctMjAxMDEyMjgtMjIzMi5qcGc.JPG utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzYtMjAxMDEyMjgtMjIzMS5qcGc.JPG

So I think I'm going to drag the frame in and use it as a body jig. It's frozen to the ground at the moment but we're expecting 50's and rain Friday and Saturday so the snow and ice should disappear. With the body mounted solid to the frame I think I can cut out the bad areas and weld new panels in and it won't end up looking like the reflection in a funhouse mirror.
    At least that's the plan.:rolleyes:

22. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I like that.

23. skoh73

skoh73

Glad to see this one going again. Incredible work! Keep it up.

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I've been waiting for the updates for a while too.That roof job is amazing,keep it coming!

25. Mudgy

Mudgy

wow mate, I just read the whole thread, and you sir are one hard worker!
    Fantastic job you are doing, very inspiring.:)

All the best,
    Mudgy

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Glad to see you are still plugging away at it ,I always enjoy your updates! I think getting the body on the frame is a good idea, and the new rear fenders can be used as guides to get the quarters back into shape keep at it !!

27. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Once again,the HAMB proves that just about anything can be saved. Good work!

28. Hope the frame didn't get tweeked in the fire . Great to so a car rise from the ashes. Rob