Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's almost Bonneville time...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

Can"t wait!!! Just wish the car was ready, next year for the car. C/GCC 1953 Studebaker.

2. Chris 50

Chris 50

Looks like I'm going to finally make it back after several years away. I'll be at the "bend in the road" with my buddy Dave in his black '50 Ford rag top.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Chris 50

Chris 50

Here's a pic.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374757016.767988.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. I can't make it this year either. SUCKS! Cause we had a great time last year....except for that whole heat stroke thing,hahaha....

Attached Files:

5. Too bad, we'll miss you Bob!

6. I heard there was over 500 entries! Should be a great event...

7. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I read they used diesel oil to mark the course back in the 30s and 40s. Is that what they used until they stopped doing it all together?

[​IMG]

8. sdroadster

sdroadster

The Studebaker is ready, with a new SBC stroker motor. We went 185 mph at El Mirage in 1.3 miles. Hope to go 215-220 mph at Bonneville in 5 miles. My wifes goofy sister talks to people we can't see. Last year she had a vision, and said I was going to get a new motor, and go 224... I always thought she was nuts. Who knows, maybe she is in touch with the universe. #352 semi gloss yellow Studie..

9. Jet Fuel

Jet Fuel
    from SoCal, USA

Edit: Sorry for unscaled photo.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  10. Jet Fuel

Jet Fuel
    from SoCal, USA

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I'm thinking. :D

12. No, the last years the lines were put down was with a biodegradable dye. It was just way too expensive to do anymore and 4 course made the job even larger.

13. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Think the black line was originally Sir Malcolm Campbell's idea when he ran Bluebird there at over 300mph back in the '30s.

Regards

Jon'.

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I will never forget watching my wife run....... 280.5 record Ardun on gasoline

15. Will be taking my kid to Speedweek for our first adventure on the salt and then swinging over to the HAMB Drags on the way home. All around trip will cover 3500 miles over 13 days without hotel. We are so looking forward to hanging out with our HAMB Friends new and old. The kid is hot rod crazy, check out his model A build thread under Stroh Coupe . See you on the Salt.

16. kaui

kaui
    from SJC calif

The best time at Bonneville for me is when your sitting at the starting line and the starter gives you the close your visor sign.

17. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

On my bucket list .Maybe next year

18. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

On the bucket list.

Plan on taking my son when he is 18 on a road trip. Heck we just ight have the A running and driving by then :)

Until then looking forward to the 100's of pics that will be posted by fellow HAMBers

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The Black Line was motor oil until the end a few years ago. This year is the first year of the bio degradable line. They did a test last month, the line is not effected by water just the UV rays that make it go away in two weeks. And it is only on long course number one,,, The Big Boys (and Girls!!!) line.

20. Thats cool, I missed the line. Was an iconic part of the race.

21. I went there about 5 years ago when I was 13 and it blew my mind and ever since I've wanted to go back. I've been saving a few bucks off of all my paychecks in a Bonneville "piggy bank" I made out of an old B/A tin. I will get back there some day but until then I'll have to live with your guys' pictures!

22. Less than a week to go! We'll be late getting there, Sunday night, but we'll be there!
    Advise.. for you "Bucket List guys" don't wait. It' way too much fun.
    Save some salt!

23. wisdonm

wisdonm

I won't be there, but Chris Conrad will be there with the I/GT that I helped with. I'll just have to go to the Symco Showdown, LeMans and Daytona prototype cars at Road America, the Waukesha Old Car show, and listen to the webcast.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  24. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

We just finished loading the car and all of the supplies on the trailer.
    We are leaving central Pa. around noon and will drive straight through to Wendover. I hope to see many of our members there.

Dave
    # 3611
    56 Corvette

25. trumph

trumph

Well people I hope to catch up with a few of you over the next few days been looking forward to this for a long time